My Hopper3 keeps forgetting it has an external drive ...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rapper450

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2015
Woodbury, MN
For some time now I have had to reset my Hopper3 (off the diagnostics/tools menu) because the external drive is not showing up when I access the the DVR menu and recordings. When the Hopper returns following the reset, the device shows up and is usable, but it may be "forgotten" the next day. One day I ignored the problem and did not try to recover and access the drive. To my surprise, it reappeared on its own the next day, but then was unavailable the following day!

I have had this issue ever since upgrading to the Hopper3 (from a Hopper w Sling. and a 722 before that) but not as often. It would happen infrequently when connected to the earlier Hopper or DVR. Now it is becoming almost a daily thing. Possibly the external drive is having some age problems?? I would replace it but I'd like to be convinced the error is with the drive - not with the Hopper3 itself. I don't want to just throw it out (that's money, you know!) and many hours of recordings. The external drive is a My Passport, I forget the model, which uses a 3.0 USB cable, and is likely 5-6 years old.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Is this a problem inherent with the Hopper system?

For some time now I have had to reset my Hopper3 (off the diagnostics/tools menu) because the external drive is not showing up when I access the the DVR menu and recordings. When the Hopper returns following the reset, the device shows up and is usable, but it may be "forgotten" the next day. One day I ignored the problem and did not try to recover and access the drive. To my surprise, it reappeared on its own the next day, but then was unavailable the following day!

I have had this issue ever since upgrading to the Hopper3 (from a Hopper w Sling. and a 722 before that) but not as often. It would happen infrequently when connected to the earlier Hopper or DVR. Now it is becoming almost a daily thing. Possibly the external drive is having some age problems?? I would replace it but I'd like to be convinced the error is with the drive - not with the Hopper3 itself. I don't want to just throw it out (that's money, you know!) and many hours of recordings. The external drive is a My Passport, I forget the model, which uses a 3.0 USB cable, and is likely 5-6 years old.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Is this a problem inherent with the Hopper system?

I'm in the same boat as you are. Some mornings my EHD's are there but most mornings they're not. I don't think it's the Hopper hardware as the behavior changes from one software version to another.

Same here. Tried a variety of EHDs, powered, powered by powered USB, etc. Every morning, EHD is gone. For me it now takes 2 to 5 resets to get it to recognize it again. It's fine then until I wake up the next morning.

When I talk to a Dish tech support rep they want me to reset the H3, etc. None of that has an effect. Then they want to send me a new H3. If I thought that would work I'd take it, but the thought of moving a full drive of programs to another EHD and then back to the new H3 seems like a lot of work when I doubt a new/refurbed H3 would fix it.

Somwtimes my HWS loses one of the EHDs. I just unplug the EHD and when I replug it back in, the HWS does the old popup that a EHD has been added, do I want to use it.

Thanks, I guess! It's somewhat of a relief to know many others are sufffering the same effects. Seemed like it has gotten worse and I couldn't believe a service provider would ignore the problem for soooooo long. Makes a person wonder about Direct TV equipment - does it have similar problems (with EHD)?

Thanks, I guess! It's somewhat of a relief to know many others are sufffering the same effects. Seemed like it has gotten worse and I couldn't believe a service provider would ignore the problem for soooooo long. Makes a person wonder about Direct TV equipment - does it have similar problems (with EHD)?
With Directv equipment, the EHD replaces the internal drive for storage, it does not add additional storage. In other words, you cannot use both the internal hard drive and EHD at the same time. With the EHD connected, new recordings go directly to the EHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts