My install experience - not great

kelton325 said:
I just got a 622 installed today, and I love it. I posted my review on the Review thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=508410#post508410

If only the install would've been a better experience...

Was originally scheduled for 3/12, Noon - 5. They called Wednesday and asked if they could come 3/11 Noon - 5... great I say! They call about Noon and tell me they'll be there around 1:30, which they were... good! This was a private outfit, not DNSC.

They did a good job of hiding the Dish 1000 so it wasn't noticable from the street. I showed them exactly where I wanted it so that's no surprise. They did a decent job of hiding the cable so it didn't stick out badly.

One of the guys threw down a lit cigarette onto dead leaves. We have a moderate risk of runaway fires in my neighborhood due to lots of trees and leaves on the ground. I probably would not have any noticed this if other problems hadn't happened, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. The guy that installed my WildBlue system packed out his cigarette butts - a small but impressive thing that shows you care.

One guy peaked the 1000 while the other worked inside. I had it all set up for them inside, so that job was a breeze. Activation took 2 phone calls, but didn't take long.

No drip loops anywhere. Not by the dish, not by the ground block, not by the house entrance. I'm not sure if I should be worried about this or not.

At first TV2 had a really snowy picture and no sound. He spent 15 minutes working on it, till his partner realized he was 1 channel too high.

Neither of them could get remote 2 to work with my Zenith TV. After they left, it took me 2 minutes from the time I opened the instruction manual till I had it successfully programmed. No kidding on the 2 minutes - I was watching the clock because I was in a rush and that's what it really took.

The "orientation on operation of equipment" portion of the install consisted of "you got any questions?". Uh, no - I'll take it from here thanks.

Here's the big screw-up, which is partially my fault for not checking before they left... None of the channels on 110 would come up. Go into point dish, guess what - signal of 30 for 110, constantly dropping to 0. Call Dish Network Tech Support, nice guy there tries some things, then says the installers need to come back. He calls them and says they'll be calling me to come back tonight. This is about 5:30. I figured these guys were at the bar by 5:30, so I went up on the roof and fiddled around with it and I was able to get 110 up to 50, which is enough for lock. Good thing I didn't wait - it's 12:45 AM right now and they still haven't called. Right now I have 110 @ 50 sig strenghth, 119 @ 93, and 129 @ 68. This needs work, as I'm sure the first cloudy day will wipe out 110. I think I'll find a good helper, get out some walkie talkies, and finish peaking it myself.

I know this sounds like a rant on how bad the install was, but I know that mistakes are made that you can't expect everyone to be perfect. I make plenty of mistakes in my job, but I try to learn from them. My intent in posting this is so others can learn about some areas to watch for when they get installs, especially those totally new to DBS like me. I guess my problem is that I am a perfectionist, and I wish Dish would've just sent me the equipment with the 622 that came Monday and let me do it all myself. I would've been happier since I'm so picky, they would've been happier cause they wouldn't have to deal with me, and I would've had it done sooner. I've ended up doing half of it anyway, so why not cut out the middle-man for those who want to do it themselves? I just didn't get the feel they were really trying very hard.

I've searched the board for some tips to dial in the 1000, but would welcome any specific feedback based on the strengths I'm seeing. I might call my WildBlue installer to see if he can come peak my E* dish.

This is NOT a rant....You have a sh!tty install and that's all there's to it....these guys should be flogged at dawn in the town square for not using drip loops..The 30 sig on the 110 is completely inexcusable..The tech should have tweaked the dishunitl he got the best signal no matter how long it took..That is part of the job and what they get paid for..DO NOT touch thr equipment..Call dish and tell them the problens and make sure you request a field service manager(every contractor has tro havea qualified FSM on staff) come to look at and fix the job..It is wrong and the techs that did it should not be paid for poor work....What you are describing are NOT mistakes..they are examples of pure laziness..It takes very little time ot put in drip loops and peak the dish properly...You are paying for service and your not getting your money's worth..There is only one type of install..The perfect install. No other is acceptable...that's the waty I do my work..There is no in between or so so work..It's either 100% or 0 %..I drive myself to provide the best service of my ability.. I expect everyone else to do the same..When i see crappy work on the part of other techs i want to track them down, take their tools away from them and let them know that fast food joints are hiring all the time..Techs that take pride in our work get screwed by techs that do sh!tty work..It makes us look bad.

dishcomm said:
This is NOT a rant....You have a sh!tty install and that's all there's to it....these guys should be flogged at dawn in the town square for not using drip loops..The 30 sig on the 110 is completely inexcusable..The tech should have tweaked the dishunitl he got the best signal no matter how long it took..That is part of the job and what they get paid for..DO NOT touch thr equipment..Call dish and tell them the problens and make sure you request a field service manager(every contractor has tro havea qualified FSM on staff) come to look at and fix the job..It is wrong and the techs that did it should not be paid for poor work....What you are describing are NOT mistakes..they are examples of pure laziness..It takes very little time ot put in drip loops and peak the dish properly...You are paying for service and your not getting your money's worth..There is only one type of install..The perfect install. No other is acceptable...that's the waty I do my work..There is no in between or so so work..It's either 100% or 0 %..I drive myself to provide the best service of my ability.. I expect everyone else to do the same..When i see crappy work on the part of other techs i want to track them down, take their tools away from them and let them know that fast food joints are hiring all the time..Techs that take pride in our work get screwed by techs that do sh!tty work..It makes us look bad.

There should be more tech like you and then this forum will be very quiet. nothing to complain about. I must admit that the tech that came to my house was very good though. He seesm to know what he was doing and didn't take him long to finish the job.

Both Direct and Dish are doing this to themselves, They tell you they care about you and the quality of work, but they dont. They make their money in QUANTITY of installs, NOT Quality.

If they did care, you wouldnt see all these beat up pickups and little station wagons with step ladders bungied to their roofs and magnetic stick ons their doors reading "Satellite Installer" :rolleyes:

Myself and my company NEVER do any sub par install and most installers around here seem to take the same pride in their work too, problem is, we are all a dying bunch who are being pushed out, WHY? Our suppliers raise pricing yearly, while the satellite companys lower the install pay AND raise what they expect to be done for free.

So while its unfortunate that the consumer pays for it in the end, the companys themselves have nobody to blame but who they see in the mirror. :down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts