My install saga

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Digitude

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
I had Voom installed on Friday. My experience was somewhat less than wonderful. Things went fairly quick as I had a short cable run. After the installer thought he was finished and packed up his stuff I mentioned that I didn't see where the antennas were grounded. He told me that I needed to buy a surge protector with a co-axial cable ground connection. No dice....I wanted my antennas grounded per NEC! He acted a little annoyed but did go back and install a ground wire.

He then called Voom and started the satellite download and, after 20 minutes, it seemed to stop. The installer did a hard reboot and told me he didn't intend to stick around all night as it was nearly 7 PM. (My installation was the same day as the big software update so maybe things were just slow). When he handed me the installation report for initials and signature I just laughed at him. I told him I would sign it when he could demonstrate everything was working. At that point all I had was a black screen! After he left, the bootup finished and the satellite video/audio came up. Like most people, probably 70% of my viewing is network TV. Of my eight local digital UHF stations....not one was coming in error free. Five drop out every 20 seconds or so and the other three have no signal at all. From the CEB antenna web site I am in the red zone for all stations. I called Voom today and they said they would schedule a return visit to install a Winegard PR8800.

In the mean time I had a chance to go up on the roof and look around. :shocked DOH!! The 14 AWG antenna ground wire installed was routed inside the FULL HORIZONTAL LENGTH OF MY RAIN GUTTER! Also, he left all of the protective rubber boots off the co-ax connectors (5 total w/diplexer). I live in a very corrosive environment near the seashore so I really need the connectors protected. I looked in the garbage can outside and, sure enough, they were still in the bag inside the antenna carton. I retrieved them for my next installation visit. The UHF antenna is located right next to my satellite dish at the second story of my house, perpendicular to and pointed right into the third story of my house. Small wonder my OTA channels don't work!

Anyway, for me the jury is still out on Voom. CAVEAT EMPTOR! Don't sign anything until everything is working! P.S. my installer was Datalink Systems out of Northern Virginia. The good news is that I hadn't turned back in to Cox my Motorola 6200. I unplugged Voom box and hooked the Cox box back up.

Digitude,
Sorry to hear about your problems with Datalink. They did my install and the rep i got was really good. I guess it's really just the luck of the draw whether you get an a-hole or a superstar.

wasch_24 said:
Digitude,
Sorry to hear about your problems with Datalink. They did my install and the rep i got was really good. I guess it's really just the luck of the draw whether you get an a-hole or a superstar.
Well, my installer wasn't a bonehead. I could tell he was experienced and knew what he was doing. It was Friday night and I think he was just in a hurry to get home for supper. As my Grandaddy used to say though "if you don't have time to do it right, how will you ever find the time to do it over?"

Should have left it unground and reported them to the State, the grounding is not an optional extra......its the law, well done Digitude!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)