My Letter to Chase Carey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Joe Diamond: you continually say “it’s only TV”. If you don’t care about TV, then why are you a member of satellite guys? What are you using your dish for – serving flapjacks or what? As for my complaints, I just want to maximize my entertainment dollars and D*’s lack of attention to the premiums just really irritates me.
As for your question about my education, yes I have a BSBA and a MBA. What are you implying by saying “damn, you’ve been to graduate school”? Educated people can enjoy quality TV programming just like everyone else. Only snobs and liars among the intelligentsia claim that they don’t watch TV.

dlma1
Yes, it is only television; passive entertainment that could....and may be......much better.
As we have it now somebody has to pay for it. The original arrangement whereby the black and white feed was interrupted by commercial messages to pay for the programming has been gradually ratcheted up to a level where we are expected to watch commercials for more than half the time the TV is on. We are expected to send in a check each month for the privilege. The half time show at the super bowl has been preempted by super commercials.

I didn't ask for any of that stuff.

So when somebody bitches about TV content I just wonder what planet they have been on for the last half century. Does the term "loss leader" have meaning to you? TV is the razor and it is "free"; the blades you will pay for. You will be quiet like everybody else and like the content........ watch the commercials..........and send in money.
I seem to remember a not so successful presidential candidate who started off his run with a gesture about ala carte TV. Could have been cool but it won't happen.
TV is what it is. I don't know how to change it. I realize it could go in many new directions. Up to now it has just gotten more expensive.

I just hang out on these sites to follow the technical changes. I am one of the many who used to work at installing the equipment.

Have a nice ride. Just don't try to steer.

Joe

See beginning of thread for my letter. I at least got a call - I only wish that they would listen and do something to address my concerns.

You state in one of your replies that you now have fios so I doubt that D* really cares about your concerns with all the premium channels not being available through D*. We just dropped Starz and HBO from our D* package and went with Netflix. Now we get the new movies before either of them show them and movies are the only things we watched on Starz and HBO. Verizon fios will probably never be available in our area and if they would ever provide service here I would have to think long and hard about switching to them. Heck Verizong
can't even provide us with decent phone service! In fifteen (15) years they haven't been able to fix a loss of service for a few minutes whenever it starts raining! :D

You state in one of your replies that you now have fios so I doubt that D* really cares about your concerns with all the premium channels not being available through D*. We just dropped Starz and HBO from our D* package and went with Netflix. Now we get the new movies before either of them show them and movies are the only things we watched on Starz and HBO. Verizon fios will probably never be available in our area and if they would ever provide service here I would have to think long and hard about switching to them. Heck Verizong
can't even provide us with decent phone service! In fifteen (15) years they haven't been able to fix a loss of service for a few minutes whenever it starts raining! :D
Art,

I feel your pain. The rain related noise is real hard to find and VZ knows the cure is to rerun the line to your residence.......or perhaps your whole street. They probably know where the problem might be.

What you need is a neighbor with some horsepower like my pal Chase.

Joe

Last edited:

The implication was that I may switch back if they offered better premiums. But they so far have refused so I have refused to come back to premiere (I still have D* Family so I can get NFL Sunday Ticket).

Not sure I understand your comment on "Verizong" (I guess you mean Verizon). I have only had 1 phone outtage with Verizon copper cable and never under FIOS. And no TV loss under Verizon (a few hours of lost internet though).

dlma1- How is the picture quality of FIOS compared to D* ?

Picture quality is the same or better. I flipped back and forth for the same channel and could find no discernable difference in definition or contrast. FIOS suffered a few pixalation issues early on my TiVo (but that was an issue with cable card and not FIOS). All-in-all, I am very satisfied with FIOS PQ and customer service (unbelievable for the phone comany, I know).

Picture quality is the same or better. I flipped back and forth for the same channel and could find no discernable difference in definition or contrast. FIOS suffered a few pixalation issues early on my TiVo (but that was an issue with cable card and not FIOS). All-in-all, I am very satisfied with FIOS PQ and customer service (unbelievable for the phone comany, I know).

Happy to hear the PQ is as good .

As for adding the HBO's , I think D* loses no matter what they do.

If they add all the HBO's and they are not all in HD, some will complain that is stupid to add non HD channels.

If they added all of them in HD then some would complain that D* should have added the Travel Channel in HD or some other HD channels like Hallmark or Lifetime instead of those HBO's that show the same movies over and over.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)