My Neighbor's Must Hate Me !

joeroscoe1957

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 24, 2004
After reading the threads about the fcc law giving antenna & dish rights , a truth I've thought of often was aroused , they don't show it , but they have to hate me. Added a dish a year since 2005 ;... 2 - 30'' dishes , plus a 33'' and a primestar , then this ota antenna made it's debut over a year ago , 80 miles from St. louis , 50 miles from Columbia , I had to build something that recieves both directions ,(it does the job) plan on improve looks & reception soon tho .

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 362
LOL! Do I see indoor rabbit ears and duct tape? :D As long as it works that's all that matters.

There are guys here who have 7 foot UHF dishes and 15 foot VHF/UHF combo antennas on big towers in their yard which REALLY drive the neighbors nuts.

Thanks Bob , yeh the rabbit ears are for channel 13 , it started out as a one sided single 4 bay whisker unit on a 14ft. mass , kept adding on (duck tape, tie wire & drywall screws , Red Green might be proud) to get more channels , still needs improvement , but works fairly well . If anyone's got one as ugly , I'd like to see it . Neighbor's have yet to complain , my wife's not real proud of it tho . She wonder's if that fcc law cover's such a monstrosity .

After reading the threads about the fcc law giving antenna & dish rights , a truth I've thought of often was aroused , they don't show it , but they have to hate me. Added a dish a year since 2005 ;... 2 - 30'' dishes , plus a 33'' and a primestar , then this ota antenna made it's debut over a year ago , 80 miles from St. louis , 50 miles from Columbia , I had to build something that recieves both directions ,(it does the job) plan on improve looks & reception soon tho .

I bet a lot of people had to resort to this in the over-the-air digital TV, I thought digital ota was suppossed to be better, wait......

Thanks Bob , yeh the rabbit ears are for channel 13 , it started out as a one sided single 4 bay whisker unit on a 14ft. mass , kept adding on (duck tape, tie wire & drywall screws , Red Green might be proud) to get more channels , still needs improvement , but works fairly well . If anyone's got one as ugly , I'd like to see it . Neighbor's have yet to complain , my wife's not real proud of it tho . She wonder's if that fcc law cover's such a monstrosity .

I keep my ugly homemade Gray-Hoverman antenna inside the house. The only one I have outside is a Radio Shack
VU-90XR that was picked up on clearance for less than $10.

As long as your town, housing association, or landlord has no rules against it you can have as many ugly antennas as you want. The only FCC rules that apply to everyone are the height limitations(less than 200 feet and not in aircraft flight path).

But even if the association has a huffy OTARD says it can be no higher than 12 feet above the roofline....thats why I chopped my one mast down like 3 feet :)

My Neighbor's Must Hate Me !
my neighbors gave up on hating me and my dish farm :)

on the roof
30" motorized
36" motorized
Directv slimline

Dish 500 & DIrectv Phase III (for Dish 129) on deck railing
2 antennas on roof :)
2 6 foot dishes I wheel out of garage

at one time I had like 6 dishes on the roof and a 6 footer on the deck...also had at one time a 4 foot dish and a Toroidal T90 (42x32 dish)

The only neighbor with an issue was my next door neighbor (I live in a townhouse)....Her hubby likes it because he couldnt get a cable into his garage for his TV so we ran a cable from my garage (which already has like 6 cables coming into it from the house) and drilled a hole between the garages and now he has OTA TV...via my antenna farm :)

I have been wondering if I could use my larger satellite dishes for picking up OTA (and cell reception as well). What kind of feed horn would it require for the OTA signals? There are a few stations that I do not even get on satellite that I want to get OTA.

But even if the association has a huffy OTARD says it can be no higher than 12 feet above the roofline....thats why I chopped my one mast down like 3 feet :)

For a time I thought 12 feet above the roof was the limit for a TV antenna but all that OTARD does is set the no harassment height. Only above 12 feet can a locality enact a permit process to limit you. Even then they have a hard time stopping you if you can meet safety standards. Naturally here where I am the city weekenders/transplants don't like ugly antenna towers so they helped craft BS zoning rules. So now you have to go before the town board with all the right paperwork that ends up costing you $$$ and play their game.

hi, in my apartment you are not allowed any outside antenna. so i made this bow-tie antenna it works great except i can't receive cbs-mynetwork tv in la croasse wisconsin which is vhf only. i get the rest, fox,nbc, abc,cw, thistv and my pbs stations all coming in great. yes the antena is ugly but it works :)

Attachments

• IMG_20120122_031648.jpg
    IMG_20120122_031648.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20120122_031344.jpg
    IMG_20120122_031344.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Hey jbmiller , that's the same type 4 bay I made for my roof , I just added one on the other side of the pole & then added another underneath that for a stacked 8 bay . Channel 13 is still VHF here , so rabbit ears were needed to recieve it , You might try that inside your aprtment , if haven't yet . After reading about 7 ft uhf's, 15 ft. combo's and everything Iceberg has on / at his house , I'm thinking about adding some more , besides all the nieghbors have atleast 1 or 2 dish network or direct tv dish monuments at their house , one even has some of them barking dogs , Thanks Guys , I feel better .

The only neighbor with an issue was my next door neighbor (I live in a townhouse)....Her hubby likes it because he couldnt get a cable into his garage for his TV so we ran a cable from my garage (which already has like 6 cables coming into it from the house) and drilled a hole between the garages and now he has OTA TV...via my antenna farm :)

BergVision Ltd. ? haha

BergVision Ltd. ? haha

yep pretty much. It really didnt bother me. He was trying to use this dinky UHF only antenna in the garage and couldnt get really anything. So I was nice enough and ran a cable along where my Directv cable is to the bedroom and right there in the garage we drilled the hole through the garages. He was on his own after that. :)

a 75 foot cable and one drill hole. He gave me that antenna which actually works pretty good when its up 40 feet off the ground on the antenna "farm"...helps with Ion which is 90 degrees off where the main stations are