My next Project C Band Mesh

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My son, my wife, and I lifted a 10 foot mesh dish onto a 7.5ft tall pole by ourselves. Actually, my son and I basically lifted it alone, and my wife just stabilized it as I walked inside up a stepladder, and attached the dish to the polar mount. That whole 10 foot dish weighed less than my old Sadoun 6 footer with it's polar mount.

Years ago, I lifted an 11 foot fiberglass dish onto a 10ft pole ALONE. I had the dish already on the polar mount, and made a home-made gin pole with an aluminum ladder strapped to the pole. I then mounted a chain-drive come-along on the top of the ladder which overhung the pole. I then attached the chain to the mount, and cranked the dish up to the top of the pole. I then used a long 2x4 to tip it over and onto the pole. That dish and mount probably weighed 300 lbs at least.

Or like this one, I just didn't have the backhoe: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/261497-Lifting-a-10-BUD-into-place-question?p=2599441#post2599441

Last edited:
jaytee4320 said:
Nice job T4Runner; Just wondering how you lifted the dish onto the post? I just acquired a 10ft mesh and it needs to mount on a post 10ft high. How would I best do this without 10 guys and a horse?lol
Thanks
Joe

Thank you.

If you look closely at my avatar you will see the picture includes four sawhorses with two 2x12 wooden planks laid across them. I had used them as ramps to drive my riding mower up into my pickup and trailer in the past. At any rate, I set the planks across the saw horses for a very stable platform against the front and back of the pole to stand on. I just used two white plastic lawn chairs as steps set in front of the whole thing. My neighbor and I easily picked up the 7. 5 ft dish with polar mount attached and stepped up together like walking up stairs. The wooden platform was very stable so we easily set the dish mount onto the pole in less than two minutes. I said thank you and my neighbor was off to his sons soccer game!

I then spent two months setting, tweaking, reading, and learning about how to adjust a polar mount and the declination... The depth of knowledge, experience and reading material on this website is quite extensive. During that time a fellow member here gave me the 5 ft dish which I did install and am now using, but it will not get the S2 channels, except for REELZ on 91W. I will be giving it away when I get its replacement completed.

I neglected to add that I am extremely jealous of 10 ft and 12 ft dishes now. Even more since I have a friend who has a 12 or 14 ft Paraclipse ( I never did measure it) that is determined to use it as a shade over his fire pit... I got to touch and feel it, and I'm afraid I got the fever...

Thank you primestar31 and T4Runner for this good info. I'm on a huge learning curve with C-band and will likely spend lots of time setting up, reading and tweaking but heh I'm retired now. Until now I've only played with ku.

jaytee4320 said:
Thank you primestar31 and T4Runner for this good info. I'm on a huge learning curve with C-band and will likely spend lots of time setting up, reading and tweaking but heh I'm retired now. Until now I've only played with ku.

You are welcome. Actually, even those peeps who have installed are on a learning curve at times.

Okay, it passed the string test this pm. Taping two strings perpendicular to each other they touch and maybe 1/4" plus or minus, I couldn't tell as I used old duct tape and it kept coming loose.

New issue. I think this dish is different depth than my other one. I forget what the other one measures and I of course did not write anything down...

This dish measures 90" diameter outside edge to outside edge and 14 1/2" depth ( easy measurement with the string in place).

QUESTION:
Shouldn't I measure from the inside edge to inside edge? Which is the actual reflecting surface...?

Pictures attached

Attachments

• image-79038008.jpg
    image-79038008.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 139
  • image-577378928.jpg
    image-577378928.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 140
  • image-1578794714.jpg
    image-1578794714.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 135
T4Runner said:
Okay, it passed the string test this pm. Taping two strings perpendicular to each other they touch and maybe 1/4" plus or minus, I couldn't tell as I used old duct tape and it kept coming loose.

New issue. I think this dish is different depth than my other one. I forget what the other one measures and I of course did not write anything down...

This dish measures 90" diameter outside edge to outside edge and 14 1/2" depth ( easy measurement with the string in place).

QUESTION:
Shouldn't I measure from the inside edge to inside edge? Which is the actual reflecting surface...?

Pictures attached

Another question: does the dish mesh reflect where it is on the 1" end edge also? Or just the mesh inside the outer frame? Stupid question?

Never mind it must reflect the whole 90" width as I have a solid metal dish with no dish that reflects quite well.

jaytee4320 said:

Jaytee, 99% of what I watch is on c band. Lots to watch up there. I can line up a big dish a lot easier than ku anyday. You'll enjoy it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)