Status
Not open for further replies.

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
I am faced with a difficult situation with my old golden. He is just shy of 15. He has progressively went down hill over the last year. It is to the point now that he can't hear at all and can barely see and is constantly falling down because of his hips giving out. I found him in the creek this morning laying on his side. I thought that was it, but he was still alive. I got him in the garage and got him dried off & fixed him a place to lay down. He is not doing too good. I dread it but I am going to have to prepare his grave because I know the time is near. I am sorry for starting a sad thread, I just have to get it off my chest. It is gut wrenching knowing you are going lose a good friend & family member.

Star, my thoughts are definitely with you during this hard time. Loosing a lifelong family member and friend is always a tough thing. I can't even begin to imagine how I'll be able to handle myself when my Bailey goes. :(

Stardust, I know how you are feeling. I went through the same thing with my 16 year old dog. Its so sad to watch them get old and it forces you to decide when the animal has suffered enough. I let it go too long I think. I finally took her to the vet and held her while she gave the needle. It was one of the most gut wrenching things I"ve done.
The timing is up to you, no one knows your dog better than you do. If I had to do it over, I think I would have ended it sooner....but it is a tough, tough thing to just get up one morning and decide....this is it. Hopefully he will slip away peacefully in his sleep.
It is very hard to deal with, I am still having a hard time and it has been quite a while.
I don't mean to add to your sadness but just to let you know there are people who understand what you are going through.

Sounds like you know what you have to do; it just sucks to have to do it. My golden is 8 and I doubt she'll live past 10 or 11. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

I had a 21 year old Arabian mare, that I had to make a decision about holding on or letting go. In the end, she let me know herself by refusing to eat or drink, that told me that she was trying to take matters into her own hands, and now it was up to me to help her achieve what she obviously wanted. I still sometimes cry for her during times of reflection. I kept a lock of her forlock, and although its silly, I tell myself that I have the tools for cloning if that should ever be viable.

Best piece of advice I've had was to get another puppy/dog ASAP. Nothing will ever replace your lost one, but it helps bridge the gap between the healing process.

It's tough. Had to do it twice, never easy. They become a member of the family and give more than they receive.

stardust, sorry to hear about your golden. We had a golden once and it was a great dog. Always ready to please. We have a ~10 year old pomeranian that is doing well now but is a rescue dog. We got him from a shelter that got him from a puppy mill. He couldn't even walk when we got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)