My Ongoing Pet Peeve with Dish DVRs Continues with the Hopper (Mid-show Recording)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
OK, sorry to bring up an old post list this - but am I correct that (neither) Hopper, (still) has the options to RECORD ENTIRE PROGRAM", when you hit record in mid-show??? :eek:

Just switched out my 612k & (2) 722k's earlier this week, to 3 Hoppers/2 J's, & am VERY disappointed that this feature is missing. It really seems like a simple, but obvious feature, that should NOT be missing from this "latest & greatest" DVR. Frankly the ONLY reason why I switched, was due to the upcoming (monthly) price increases on Hoppers - & since the current pricing was SO much lower than my "legacy DVR" pricing, I thought it made sense to pull the trigger. (will do a write-up on my upgrade experience on another appropriate thread) I really DO use this function all the time - so now I'm not sure if I did the right thing on switching...

If you´be been watching the show up until that point (or the tuner has been on it), I believe you can do this...

edit_

just tried it. It didn't ask me if I wanted to record the entire thing, but the recording started at the beginning of the program (31 minutes ago)...
Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
The way it works on Hopper is if you have the beginning of the show in the buffer and hit record, it will record from the beginning of the show no matter where you are. Otherwise, it just records from wherever you are currently. Then of course, you can rewind to the beginning of the buffer, or wherever you want the recording to start then hit record.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

The way it works on Hopper is if you have the beginning of the show in the buffer and hit record, it will record from the beginning of the show no matter where you are. Otherwise, it just records from wherever you are currently. Then of course, you can rewind to the beginning of the buffer, or wherever you want the recording to start then hit record.

So the option to record from the current buffer point is removed if the entire show is in the buffer? That's smart. :rolleyes:

So the option to record from the current buffer point is removed if the entire show is in the buffer? That's smart. :rolleyes:

Only if you record from Live TV. If you time shift then it records from that point on.

Only if you record from Live TV. If you time shift then it records from that point on.

Sorry to be dense, but not sure what you mean from "time shift", & the diff between it & "record from Live TV"???

FWIW, when I previously posted, I swear that my receiver was NOT behaving the way you say it should...but it DOES seem to do so now. I checked & just noticed it downloaded new software S309 this past Saturday - so I'm wondering if that might be why it (mid-show recording) seems to work properly now... :confused:

Last edited:
3HaloODST has it absolutely correct! That is how the Hopper functions when you hit the Record button on your remote. I think it was a software update early this year that finally fixed our problem. I've had working that way for a long time, now. I don't know what is meant bys "Time Shifting" in the context of this thread, either. 3HaloODST has it clear and concise, I believe. That's it! And to clarify, you are correct Dare2be: there is NO POP-UP at all when pressing Record button from the remote and it behaves as you believe. I will say that I always preferred the Pop-UP because it made me feel, or, perhaps, I would have NO DOUBT was was going to happen as I CHOOSE the option and appreciated the options of saving entire program or just from that point. As it is now, most people don't know what is going to happen and may feel disappointed. I'm talking about the "rabble" :) who will feel out of control and not know how it works and if they are getting what they want from the press of the Record button. If this causes confusion among the Power Users on this forum, than Dish should really consider providing a Pop-up just like all Dish Pro and ViP DVR's from the 522 onward.

Last edited:
Just saying, if you don't understand what is meant by "time shifting", then how do you know that 3Halo has it correct? :)

Just saying, if you don't understand what is meant by "time shifting", then how do you know that 3Halo has it correct? :)

Because 3Halo explained how it works. Done. as for the use of the word "Time-Shifting": I was being polite and stated that I did not know it's meaning "in the context of this thread" We are discussing live or delayed TV and our intention to record on the fly. Time-Shifting is the practice of recording content and saving it on a recording media, and then viewing that content at a time AFTER it has completed airing live at a future hour or day, etc. That is not live TV nor delayed live viewing the result of trick play of a live from air stream. Again, I would defer to the individual or other person who can elucidate me and other forum members: it's called help. I would have a few guesses as to what the individual meant when using the term "time-shifting" in the context of this thread, but I did not want to presume the wrong one. Recording on the fly is part of the process of time-shifting, so when someone states "but not when time-shifting" I am confused and invite discussion for the both our benefit, not poised to pounce on someone for not meeting my personal standard of correctness.

Again, I'm NOT one of those posters who immediately calls someone an idiot because I don't understand their application of a term that doesn't fit the definition of the term. We are all human beings and we all try our best at communication using the terms we can best think of. My approach was to first question myself in that I may have missed something or didn't understand what was the intent of the meaning. So I politely stated that I didn't understand the meaning of the phrase time-shifting "in the context of this thread." A simple statement allowing the opportunity for someone to explain further with no prejudice, and on the assumption I've missed something.

But if you don't want to be of any help and wish to contribute to the notion that there are too many arrogant, conceited, know-it-all, rude, unpleasant, smarmy, insulting individuals who crash a thread just to upset people and have nothing to offer forum members nor of any help or value in those posts, than by all means, continue to erode the value of this, otherwise, beneficial forum. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
So you flip a tuner to a channel and expect the DVR to pull the signal from the beginning of the program. That would be some kind of magic.

Actually a big cable company (Cablevision or Comcast, I think) tried to set-up a system to do just that (sort of), but it was ruled ILLEAGAL. Oh, the irony. :). PTAT is as close as it gets today.

But if you don't want to be of any help and wish to contribute to the notion that there are too many arrogant, conceited, know-it-all, rude, unpleasant, smarmy, insulting individuals who crash a thread just to upset people and have nothing to offer forum members nor of any help or value in those posts, than by all means, continue to erode the value of this, otherwise, beneficial forum. Just sayin'.
Whew. Did you not see the smiley at the end of my post indicating that it was in jest?

Anyway, I have contributed to this thread in a helpful and positive way, and helped to clarify what 3halo had said.

My understanding of "time-shifted" in the context of this thread (starting a recording while time-shifted) could only mean being in the live TV buffer but behind the live point. See posts #25 & #26.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)