VIP 722k No Boot problem fixed

drwolf

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
NY
For those who have VIP 722K that keeps rebooting and it's not the hard drive, chance's are it's C194 (1200uf 6.3V)
First step to troubleshooting it is disconnect hard drive power and see if it boots, if it does your drive is bad. If it still won't boot look for C194 it's right under hard drive power connector. Mine was exploded towards the board. Took out the main board and replaced cap, put everything back together and it booted right up and has been working perfectly.

Nonsense! Replacement of a cap near the hard drive connector is not hack talk.

Not hack talk but why not just get Dish to replace it. I love a good soldering project as much as any but I would just get it replaced.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

It's not hack talk, it's a repair of a dead reciever. Besides I own the reciever and have for over 3 years, so no warranty. If you do it right and take out the whole hard drive as an assembly (frame and fan assembly) you won't void the sticker on hard drive, which there is no need to disasemble anyway to get at the cap.

Not hack talk but why not just get Dish to replace it. I love a good soldering project as much as any but I would just get it replaced.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

i would say "because", its lot more convenient to not have to ship it back, order another, lose all your shows etc.

good post

Wish I would have know this 2 months ago. I might have saved a number of things I had on my hard drive that I had not yet watched. Now, I move stuff almost daily to an external hard drive.

It's ironic that many of us are neglectful about backing up data, until after a hard drive failure and loss of data. Consider the use of a UPS on 722/922's as well as whole house and branch circuit surge suppression. Blown caps, and other failed components are often due to transient noise and spikes on both a/c and data inputs. You'll be rewarded by longer life and less reboots systemwide, that includes every electrical device in your home.

Great job OP. Puffy caps (or in your case blown) are a problem in in computer or electronics device. 1 of the 1st things I look for w/ any electronic device that won't power up. 98% of the time that is the problem. Caps also are very cheap and if you use a hi-temp version will likely never give you a problem again.

I'm a little confused. Can someone explain the advantage of owning a dish receiver over leasing it? I don't see any savings on the sub prices. :confused:

thanks bobby. I guess it's like a cellphone, pay up front or a 24 month contract. seems like it's almost an industry standard. considering I've already swapped out 2 722's (freezing up, and HD failure) I think I'm gonna continue leasing even though I'm off contract. I definitely need to backup my data, (though dish support did give me some premium channels for awhile to compensate for the data loss).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts