My PS3 is seriously injured

The Big Wood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
NE Georgia
Well, after having some minor issues getting progressively worse, my PS3 has finally gotten to the unusable state.

I've been having problems with data corruption from Call of Duty 3, then videos downloaded from the Playstation Store, then demos downloaded from the Playstation Store. The problems ranged from CoD3 freezing in the middle of online play and not able to start up again without deleting the multiplayer patches and redownloading them (several times in some cases), to videos macroblocking and finally stopping with a message saying the data is corrupt, to game demos not even installing or not playing due to corruption if the install was ever successful.

Things got seriously bad this past Friday when my PS3 froze while playing CoD3 online. I had to restart the system by holding down the power button for 10seconds. When the PS3 started back up, it kept hanging at the auto sign-in to the Playstation Network (the "Signed In" message stayed on the upper right corner of the screen and the PS3 would not respond to any controller actions). Talked to tech support, and I was able to get the PS3 to go past this point by unplugging my network cable (I figured this out without their help while on hold). Support offered to have my PS3 sent in and a refurb sent to me to replace it, but I declined the offer for the moment to see if it would work by doing a system restore (reformats the hard drive and deletes default data...effectively restoring the PS3 back to its "new" state but keeping the current firmware version intact).

After letting the system restore run overnight (took about 4 hours), I tried the PS3 the next day. Many of the same problems occurred. I was able to play MotorStorm without any problems, but anything using the hard drive for storage of videos or game patches would not work.

Called tech support again on Monday, and they had me remove the hard drive to ensure no pins were messed up...which they weren't. They asked me to do another system restore after replacing the hard drive, so I ran this overnight again. The next morning, the PS3 would not even get past the power up screen that happens before the XMB. Called tech support on Tuesday, and I setup the exchange of my PS3 for a refurb.

I honestly think its just the hard drive going bad, and I wish they would offer to send a replacement hard drive instead of a whole different PS3 unit. But I am happy that Sony has not given me a problem exchanging the PS3, and I get a whole new 1 year warranty starting on the date Sony ships my replacement instead of my original purchase of mid December.

Hope none of you PS3 owners have problems with your units, but rest assured that Sony's service seems to be fair and responsive...so far anyway.

Anthony

Now did you spent the extra money to buy a replacement plan from wherever you got it from? If you are going to buy such an expensive system get an extended warranty, usually they will get you a gift card and in some cases just exchange it with a brand new PS3.
Usually on some replacement plans it says whatever the company doesn't cover the extended warranty company would take over and pretty much they would cover everything as long as you didn't damage your system (exterior).

Other than that good luck and I hope things work out for ya.

I actually have an extended warranty. I bought my PS3 from my local CompUSA during the drought of PS3's before Christmas...and CompUSA would not sell it to me without the warranty. The price wasn't that bad for an extra 2 years of warranty, so I didn't mind.

The problem is that CompUSA decided to close around 100 stores a couple of months ago. My local store (which is a short walk from my work) was one of those stores that is being closed down, and the nearest store is hours away now. The store is nearly empty now and will be closed next week. The warranty would have to be handled online, which means shipping...and wouldn't you know the warranty does not cover any shipping charges!

Even though I would receive a new PS3 through the CompUSA warranty, I would still have to wait on the shipping and pay for it as well. The warranty only allows a one time replacement, so the warranty would be over if I went that route. By going through Sony first, I still have the CompUSA warranty in case the refurb unit craps out after the Sony 1 year warranty is over. I do have to notify CompUSA of the PS3 switch to get serial numbers changed over, though.

Well buying it from CompUSA is the biggest rip-off ever, I hate the company and people are just ____ rude there.
CompUSA would be the last place I would buy anything. Usually on the extended warranty some places cover the S&H Fee. Usually you should read the brochure and see what it says about the warranty and all the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck gettin anything out of Sony, my ps3 shorted out my friend's tv and the console, they told me that im screwed on the tv but that they would send me a new ps3, was told that it would be shipped out last wednesday and overnighted to me, still havent seen it yet and everytime i call i get some guy's voice mail in tech support and he wont return my calls, thinkin of gettin a lawyer about the tv thing but not sure what i should do at the present time, anyone got any ideas??

CompUSA was not my first choice, but during the PS3 drought in Nov and Dec it was my only choice. They would only sell the PS3 with the warranty. At that time, I could just walk into the store and exchange it for a new one with the warranty...I had no idea that my local store was going to close 5 months later. Now it has to be handled online. I've read the warranty, and it said that my state allows me to cancel at any time and receive a refund (prorated I'm sure). I may do that if I get hassled with changing the warranty over to the "new" PS3.

I've tried formatting the hard drive. I tried the quick format many times, but it never helped. I then tried the system restore with the complete format option several times...again, never fixing the problem.

Something happened with the shipping, so I didn't get the return box until today. I will be sending it out this afternoon. Luckily, the unit is shipping out Next Day Air so it should arrive at SCEA tomorrow. The paperwork says it should take 3-5 business days after receiving my PS3 for my replacement to arrive. Got my fingers crossed...

i bet it takes longer than what they say, i waited a month before they called me back with the results then to tell im screwed on the tv, they are sending me a new one but i havent seen it yet, it was supposed to be shipped out last wednesday and overnighted to me, its now tuesday..............

WOW! I'm a little shocked...just got a notice from UPS stating a 16lb box from SCEA is scheduled to arrive Friday!

I thought they would at least test out my PS3, and if they did that already then they are quick...my package arrived around noon today and they are shipping out already. Its shipping on a 3 day ground...wish it was overnight.

One thing I have a question here about, and I guess it is the norm or quickly becoming the norm. Whats with shipping refurb replacements?

If the unit you got was new, and they say you have a years warranty, why are they shaving corners by sending you a unit that obviously already went bad once? They should toss bad unit, no fixing them. I know, MS does this too, like I said, is or is becoming the norm nowadays.

Yes this is becomming a norm. I understand what you're saying. I personally would prefere if they were to rebuild the system you send in and give you back your original case if all they're going to do is replace your busted system with a reman.

Actually, I got an email from Sony and the refurb unit arrived with paperwork confirming the warranty. Unlike what is posted on the website, the warranty is only 90 days...not for 1 year.

So I bought a PS3 with a 1 year warranty. 4 months later it craps out and Sony sends me a refurb (something went wrong with it already and has been "fixed"). I now get a 3 month warranty with it. So my warranty period went from running out in Decemeber to running out in August. Does this sound fair? Not to me!

I'm getting my ducks in a row to battle this, especially since their own website says that the refurb unit has a 1 year warranty from the date they ship it out to me. Unfortuneately, I can't figure out how to save or print the original website's info. I have a copy printed from when I first opened the website, but I'm having problems getting more. If anyone can get this webpage to print correctly or save correctly, please let me know how you did it. The part I'm looking for is in the FQA section.

http://www.us.playstation.com/whattosend/ps3/ps3_service_letter_us.htm

BTW, the refurb has froze on me during a game every day that I have played it. Would be nice to know what the refurb unit was originally sent in for...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)