My quest to get DLNA working on the Hopper...

I bet a regular 5-1000mhz spitter won't work right?

Well they are rolling a truck to my house to install a tap. It will take him more time to drive here than it will to screw three cables on to the tap. At least they agreed to wave the tech call fee.

Last edited:
so are the DIRT members gonna be able to send us HIC's out free of charge to the rest of us that didnt get them in the "routine" installs

So to all the people who can't get DLNA working, you need a HIC instead of a direct ethernet connection to the Hopper. At least at this point in time.

Well that's even more retarded than is usual for Dish. I can't imagine what they were thinking. Everything has an ethernet port on it these days, it shouldn't have been a challenge to program.

I am not convinced quite yet this is the only issue. let's see what reports roll in. it would be nice if all you needed was the HIC. I don't get what that has to due with anything since I have a hard wired Ethernet right into the hopper and everything else works including the internet aps, ect so it's getting internet connection which comes from my router.

I thought the HIC was for wireless connection if you didn't have Ethernet right to the back of the hopper, am I wrong?

you shouldn't need anything but a windows 7 pc as well, not the other server programs

Well I feel lucky. I have my hopper Hooked up to my network via Ethernet cable and no HIC and have been able to use the home media feature since the first night. My hopper sees my play on server and windows 7server.

I am not convinced quite yet this is the only issue. let's see what reports roll in. it would be nice if all you needed was the HIC. I don't get what that has to due with anything since I have a hard wired Ethernet right into the hopper and everything else works including the internet aps, ect so it's getting internet connection which comes from my router.

I thought the HIC was for wireless connection if you didn't have Ethernet right to the back of the hopper, am I wrong?

you shouldn't need anything but a windows 7 pc as well, not the other server programs

May be due to something else, but here is my anecdotal evidence. I have 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. The 2 Hoppers are connected to my home network directly through ethernet and have access to apps, Blockbuster@Home, and I can access them through Dish Online. But none of the 4 would see my TVersity media server on my computer. Until I read in this thread that the HIC was needed for media streaming. So I connected one to the line that goes to one of my Joeys and immediately I was able to stream videos, music, and pictures from all 4 TVs. I still have the ethernet connected to both Hoppers, plus the HIC.

Does this have anything to do with this? On a Joey, when I go to settings>network setup>broadband and choose MoCA at the top the home network connection status shows disconnected. I get the Sam thing on the other Joey I have. My hopper has a network connection plugged in, tested, and working. Do you have to have a HIC for the Joeys to connect?

So, it sounds like the HIC should have been part of the standard install. My router in near my hopper so I didn't get one, just plugged directly into the Hopper.

I have 2H/3J. Looking the the HIC diagrams, the pass-thru is going to the Joey, Will the HIC "pass-thru" work for a hopper or just the Joeys? If its just for the Joeys then I will need to have another cable pulled from the Duo to the HIC.

I am told that if you have your broadband connected to the Hopper you do not need a HIC to get DLNA to work.

I am told the issue is a software one that they are looking to resolve.

Etherenet at the Joey's wasn't shipped working. You need ethernet at the Hopper. That being said, per Scott, they are working on DLNA on hoppers with direct connections. My LG BD 670 can play my stuff now so I won't use the Hopper for playing videos, it's just a nice to have.

Here is what Dish Tech Chat told me:

Joanne (ID: RLW): The DNLA isn't available at this time.
chat_enduser_message.png
Nicholas Moline: Should I expect a software update to activate it?
chat_agent.png
Joanne (ID: RLW): It is a feature we will add but at this time we don't have a ETA.

I'm wondering if maybe the hopper isn't bridging the Ethernet/Wireless and MoCA networks together. I have a HIC in my setup and both my joeys have IP addresses that were given to it by my router. If you don't have an HIC, and have the hopper connected via Ethernet or Wireless, do the joeys fall back to the 169.x.x.x default addresses?

chat_enduser_message.png
chat_agent.png
Joanne (ID: RLW): It is a feature we will add but at this time we don't have a ETA.

Standard answer for DISH: It's coming SSSSSSOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!!

chat_enduser_message.png
chat_agent.png

If it isn't available yet then why is it working for many of us and not working for others?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts