My quest to get DLNA working on the Hopper...

I'm wondering if maybe the hopper isn't bridging the Ethernet/Wireless and MoCA networks together. I have a HIC in my setup and both my joeys have IP addresses that were given to it by my router. If you don't have an HIC, and have the hopper connected via Ethernet or Wireless, do the joeys fall back to the 169.x.x.x default addresses?

I dont know if this answers your question, but on my network, both my Hopper and Joey have IP addresses assigned by my router. My Hopper is 192.168.1.181 and the Joey is 192.168.1.182. I can see both in my router's DHCP table. So apparently both devices can be connected to the same network at the same time.

I think it's just buggy software and they will straighten it out..

Yep.

Got the same line from Dish tech that an HIC was needed for DLNA. They are sending a tech out to install the HIC on Friday for free. I'll report back whether it works.

Much thanks for starting thread.

I just spent 30 minutes in tech support chat hell and they refuse to give one to me and won't send anyone out to install it. Frustrating.

Just got mine working. I didn't do anything to fix it. It just started working. Direct connection to Hopper using Ethernet. No HIC.

Scott Greczkowski said:
As you have seen in my review I have DLNA running on mine. I noticed when it does not work I go reset my router and then it starts to work again. :)

Mine works then stops working.Using Yversity. Will try your suggestion of rebooting router.

I had my HIC installed today. Or should I say the installer watched me install it, as he had no idea what the device even was or what to do with it. The good news is that now DLNA works. I still would like some recommendations as to a good DLNA server to use on a MAC. I tried the PS3 server and its rather clunky. Ideas?

Thanks.

Just got mine working. I didn't do anything to fix it. It just started working. Direct connection to Hopper using Ethernet. No HIC.
Did you get the new software update last night, from 2.03 to 2.04? Maybe that's one of the things they fixed.

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
mines not working again this morning, and I did get the S204 update last night.

Great Scott!!! (Ha) They should've taken the HJ system to the ironing board and got the wrinkles out before release.

Sent from my fingers.

I thought you only needed the hic if you couldn't hook up the hopper directly to your network? Mine is hooked up that way.Sometimes dlna works and other times no.I use Tversity.

I had my HIC installed today. Or should I say the installer watched me install it, as he had no idea what the device even was or what to do with it. The good news is that now DLNA works. I still would like some recommendations as to a good DLNA server to use on a MAC. I tried the PS3 server and its rather clunky. Ideas?

Thanks.

There's a great comparison page on Wikipedia:

Comparison of UPnP AV media servers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would look at MediaTomb, PS3 Media Server, Twonky (not free) and XBMC.

On a note for any platform
It's not my first time to the rodeo for trying to get DNLA going between devices. UPnP is great on paper but in practice it's a finicky implementation and things like Fwd and Rwd usually work pretty clunky. Keep your expectation LOW for dish's implementation. I would also keep your expectations low for how well a UPnP DNLA server is going to handle multiple hoppers and joeys trying to pull high bit-rate material all at the same time.

I ended up fairly frustrated by it and just bought a boxee. It can just pull what I need off an SMB or NFS share. You could do a similar thing with Apple TV or Roku.