My quest to get DLNA working on the Hopper...

Yes their is a different one for the Moca yes. I was using the one that show on the Broad ban screen where it shows your IP, DNS ect, this should be the one used for Ethernet. I am guessing something is wrong with the program and showing the wrong MAC. I have no HIC
That screen can show the Moca or Ethernet network settings, depending on what you select from the drop-down. So, you may have been viewing the wrong one.

Does Dish believe that this will ever work right? I am looking to upgrade, but this problem is holding me back. If it does not work, I will stay with my 622 and 211's as I know they work. Would be great to only have one box per tv though.

larryf said:
Does Dish believe that this will ever work right? I am looking to upgrade, but this problem is holding me back. If it does not work, I will stay with my 622 and 211's as I know they work. Would be great to only have one box per tv though.

Why would getting this feature be holding you back when it's not a feature on your current receivers? It works on mine and I don't even really use it.

So are you going to use Handbrake or similar video conversion software to convert the xvid .avi videos to mp4 files? I also so the same question marks for most of my videos that were on my WHS2011 server but due to busy spring days for outdoor work, haven't had a chance to follow up. I really would like to use my WHS2011 as the basis for my prime DLNA server. I have Playon.TV running on my main computer and it also works well with my Hopper. At least it did several days ago. Will check back in soon after I take another look at my Hopper. My 3 Joey's will have to wait. - Craig

Why would getting this feature be holding you back when it's not a feature on your current receivers? It works on mine and I don't even really use it.
Because my current receivers do not have this feature. Duh. Otherwise my receivers work fine for what I need. I would like to have one box that allows me to watch tv and access my media collection.

Because my current receivers do not have this feature. Duh. Otherwise my receivers work fine for what I need. I would like to have one box that allows me to watch tv and access my media collection.

Of all the great things the hoppers have over the 622 and 211... DLNA is at the bottom of the list. I never used it on my 922, not when I have an Xbox 360 and a PS3 in the same room. They do a much better job. The codec support for Dish's DLNA implementation isn't that great and while having a 750Mhz processor is fine for driving the DVR and it's background functions. I don't think it's enough to handle the varied data streams coming from a file server.

Multi-room DVR, HD in every room, Prime-time Anytime, those are the reasons to have a hopper.

Interesting - I find that not having to flip inputs to the PS3, fire it up, and find PlayOn greatly improves the WAF. Her ability to just go to the Menu and find all this? Makes DLNA on the Hopper priceless to me.

Interesting - I find that not having to flip inputs to the PS3, fire it up, and find PlayOn greatly improves the WAF. Her ability to just go to the Menu and find all this? Makes DLNA on the Hopper priceless to me.

I agree. I get my "H.I.C" and "tap" in today. Hopefully my dlna server will be recognized. Since a large portion of our movie viewing comes from our bluray collection, I would love to be able to quickly access those movies without ever leaving the Dish UI. That was the biggest selling point for me. Just hope it works out that way.

I just ordered the HIC for the DLNA to work in the Joey. Do I need to hook it up to Hopper or Joey? Hopper is already directly connected to the Router. Joey is connected to Hopper thru coax.

I can get an internet connection at the Hopper by using the inline HIC connection to the Joey..but no 'internet' connection at the Joey unless I run an additional ethernet connection to the Joey itself, only a LAN connection.

Last edited:
I have no hic, and all of the suddon dlna started working to night with my pc, and galaxy note. Only thing i did was turn the allshare(dlna) app on, on my phone, then it could see my pc as well. must have bee a coincedence. Never worked till tonight, no new software on my hopper either. Very weird!

Which one do you like better? Serviio vs Tversity Pro?

Each has its own Pros and Cons. One feature of TVersity that Serviio doesnt have is the ability to stream to a web interface. With TVersity, you can watch your movies within a browser window. If you have your router setup to forward TVersity's port to your TVersity server, you can view your movies over the Internet from a web browser. Serviio cannot do this. The reason I went with Serviio is that my media library was encoded and scraped specifically for XBMC. In my living room where the majority of my movie watching is done, I use a purpose built HTPC that is running XBMC. Serviio can read XBMC's XML files and correctly identify the movie, details, and coverart. This was critical for me and the reason I went with Serviio. Depending on your needs, you may find that other DLNA servers like PlayOn or TVersity work better for you.

So are you going to use Handbrake or similar video conversion software to convert the xvid .avi videos to mp4 files? I also so the same question marks for most of my videos that were on my WHS2011 server but due to busy spring days for outdoor work, haven't had a chance to follow up. I really would like to use my WHS2011 as the basis for my prime DLNA server. I have Playon.TV running on my main computer and it also works well with my Hopper. At least it did several days ago. Will check back in soon after I take another look at my Hopper. My 3 Joey's will have to wait. - Craig

If your movie library is already coded using xvid, you do not need to transcode your movies using Handbrake. Most DLNA servers have the ability to transcode your videos on the fly to match the supported codec of whatever device you are playing it on. Despite what you may read, you dont even need that powerful of a CPU on your server to do on the fly transcoding. I have a relatively weak Intel Pentium G620 CPU (dual core 2.6GHz) and it handles transcoding flawlessly.

Also, you will have no problem using your WHS2011 server as I am doing the same thing. You will just need to RDP into your server and install your DLNA server of choice. I have successfully tested PlayOn, TVersity, and Serviio on my WHS2011 server with no problems.

The codec support for Dish's DLNA implementation isn't that great and while having a 750Mhz processor is fine for driving the DVR and it's background functions. I don't think it's enough to handle the varied data streams coming from a file server.

The processor of the Hopper may not be able to handle natively streamed videos directly off a network, but if you use the on-the-fly transcoding features that most DLNA servers offer, it will work fine. I used Handbrake to transcode my Blu-Rays into high-bitrate MKV files using h.264. Many of my movies have average bitrates over 10Mb/sec, and Serviio on my WHS2011 server can transcode those videos to my Sony Bravia TV, a Seagate Free-Agent Theater+, and even my Android cell phone. I would suspect that the CPU in the Hopper is more powerful than all 3 of those devices. Serviio allows you to custom change the maximum video bandwidth of its transcoded videos. So if you still have skipping, you can just lower the max rate until you get to a point where it stops skipping.

Just hooked up my HIC and DNLA started working for the first time! :):):)
You know what's weird? It took an HIC for my system to recognize DLNA devices on the LAN, like most people. But, once recognized, I was able to disconnect the ethernet from HIC, and use a direct ethernet connection at the Hopper, and DLNA still worked!

The HIC is still connected to the coax, even though I disconnected the ethernet from it. Perhaps, all one needs is an HIC connected to the Moca network in order for DLNA to work correctly, even if the only LAN connection is at the Hopper?

Weird, wacky stuff.

Just hooked up my HIC and DNLA started working for the first time! :):):)

Did you hook up HIC to the Joey? if not then do you think it will work if it's connected that way? I already have ethernet connection to the Hopper but DLNA is intermittent in the hopper but it doesn't connect DLNA to the Joey at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts