My quest to get DLNA working on the Hopper...

jcr81 said:
Just out of curiosity, what dlna server are you using and how is it working out for you? Any issues?

I was only using my Win7 pc's home media streaming. It also saw Twonky and iMediaShare on my iPhone. I only tried to view photos when I was playing with it. I'll try some vids later and mp3's later. I was just glad it started working.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have seen a lot of mentions of serviio, has anyone got it to work with the hopper? I am able to see the server but it never connects. Tversity works the best so far, but serviio is way better.

DLNA started working tonight(without a HIC); I turned on UPnP on my router and reset the hopper. The hopper registered port 5101 on the router and DLNA instantly started working. I'm not sure why this would matter but does anyone else without a HIC see the same port forwarding on their router? Capture.PNG

I have seen a lot of mentions of serviio, has anyone got it to work with the hopper? I am able to see the server but it never connects. Tversity works the best so far, but serviio is way better.

I couldn't get it Serviio to connect either. I believe we need a "renderer profile" for the Hopper. I got Tversity to work but couldn't fast forward, rewind, etc. so that will obviously not be a viable solution. I will just continue to watch my movies using Serviio to stream to my Samsung TV. Not that big of a deal to launch the smart hub on the tv especially with a harmony remote.

I finally got mine working. Added a HIC box which allowed me to get my system seeing the network on all my receivers. Removed Serviio as it would show up on the TV but not transcode any videos. Installed the new Beta Plex DLNA Server and, after allowing it to load my library, success. The Dish system sees the Plex server on my Wireless MacMini and the movies stream without a problem. I have only had time to test it during a single one hour period so I do not know if it will remain stable, it is a Beta release, but I have high hopes. I have used Plex for almost a year with my Roku box and have been pleased with it's abilities. Now if I can figure out which DLNA Blu-Ray player to get so I can watch Netflix throughout the house I will be all set.

Oh you beat me to it! I was just going to post that the latest Plex beta added DLNA support. Here's the blog post about it:
Plex » This ain’t your grandfather’s DLNA

Of interest is this paragraph from it:
Secondly, there are like seven bazillion DLNA devices. At least. We’ve focused on support for two of them primarily (the PS3, and the Xbox360) and one other (the WD TV Live). The good news is that we have a very simple yet powerful XML-based configuration (see here for the current one) system which can be used to describe new DLNA clients’ capabilities. We can push out new profiles to everyone automatically, and you can extend it with your own profiles. (For those who care, just make your own dlnaclientprofiles.xml file in the Plex Media Server application support folder. And please, please, share your new profiles with us so that everyone can benefit!)
Might be a weekend project for someone to take up.

Here's the download link:Download Plex for Windows

Hopefully it is still working when I get home. I have not looked into the profile situation but I hope someone with more DLNA knowledge than mw comes up with a good Dish profile.

Hopefully it is still working when I get home. I have not looked into the profile situation but I hope someone with more DLNA knowledge than mw comes up with a good Dish profile.

I can say with confidence that no amount of profile work will help with Serviio. Thats not to say that it wont work with other DLNA products, but I have extensively combed through the profiles in Serviio and there is nothing you could possibly do to overcome the current issues with DLNA on the Hopper.

I have not tried Plex yet, but I'll give it a shot this weekend and let everyone know my thoughts...

I just got done going through the website for Plex, and I am amazed that I haven't heard about this product til today! The feature set and UI looks impressive. I am more excited than I was 20 minutes ago to play with this! :)

i originally had installed Tversity to be used with DLNA for the Hopper. I changed to Plex for I had just installed it for my Roku. I previously had been using Tversity to get Sirius over my Roku but switched to Orbcaster for that connection. All works great. Funny it still shows Tveristy in the list of servers available even though i'm using Plex. Testing it now and music is playing perfectly. You even get cover art once it goes into sleep mode. It looks like the moving graphic you get when listening to Sirius on the Hopper. Only a photo besides the text of artist and song.

I installed the beta of the Plex Media Server software that supports DLNA on my server hardware, which is an old Intel-based MacBook running OS X 10.6.8. The media is all on my Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, which also has its own DLNA server. My LG BluRay player immediately saw the Plex server (it didn't before, pre-DLNA), and of course had previously been able to use the Netgear DLNA server.

The Hopper does not see either DLNA server. I tried resetting the network connection and also rebooting the Hopper, but no luck. So that's two DLNA implementations the Hopper doesn't work with.

I have a 1H/1J config. Both the Hopper and Joey are connected to my home network via Ethernet. Both show they are getting IP addresses from my router and connections to the Internet, and the Hopper has no problems downloading On Demand content.

I came home from work last night and tried the Home Media function of my Hopper for grins and for the first time the hopper saw my DLNA servers in the house (direct connect to ethernet, no HIC) but it was late and I figured I would play this weekend with it so I didn't test any media streaming at that time. Get up today and go to Home Media and nothing is there now.... :confused:

I have UPnP turned on in my router and I see the hopper in the port mapping there... but alas this is a fickle (read buggy) beast it seems.

I just got done going through the website for Plex, and I am amazed that I haven't heard about this product til today! The feature set and UI looks impressive. I am more excited than I was 20 minutes ago to play with this! :)

OKay, I am back with my findings. Lemme start by saying...

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I have that out of the way, lemme just say that DLNA is the most intriguing but gawd-awfully frustrating thing to work with.

I installed Plex Media Server on my WHS2011 box, and first instincts are that this is a nice piece of software. Plex was originally designed as a way to serve directly to some dedicated devices like the Xbox360, PS3, Roku devices and their own Plex Media Center (PMC) software. The PMC software is very XBMC-esque and for most people is pretty impressive. For anyone already familiar with XBMC, I think you'll agree that XBMC is still nicer than PMC. Thats not to say that it cant improve, but for now, XBMC > PMC.

The DLNA features of Plex are very new and were JUST added to the most recent beta, and as it stands, there are still a lot of things that need to be worked out. For those of you sitting on the edge of your seats, my findings with the Hopper are:

No, I could not get either my Hopper or Joey to see Plex. This is no different than my experiences with Servvio, TVersity, or PlayOn. I do not have a HIC, so I am just crossing my fingers that a future update from Dish will make this functionality work for me. Until then, I will continue using my XBMC equipped home theater PC in my living room, and my Seagate Free Agent Theater+ (FAT+) in the bedroom.

So now I'll just talk about the Plex server software and how it compares to Serviio, which I chose over both TVersity and PlayOn.

Right now, Serviio wins because it simply works better than Plex. I will say though that Plex does have several more features than Serviio, plus it has a pretty nice WebGUI that allows you to manage your library with. I can definitely see potential for Plex to be a DLNA server of choice in the future.

Running both Serviio and Plex simultaneously, the only device that worked well with both was my Seagate FAT+. Even with that, playback with Plex was choppier than it was with Serviio. This could be something I could improve with the profiles, but thats another issue with Plex. Both Serviio and Plex require manual editing of XML files to adjust the profiles, there is a lot more default info in the Serviio file, along with more information on the forums for customizing Serviio.

So, profiles aside, Serviio works fine on my Xbox360 and my Sony Bravia 55EX710 TV. Plex was detected by the Xbox 360 and the library showed up, but the video display was corrupted. There was just a bunch of colorful blobs when viewing a movie using Plex. If I switched to Serviio, playback of the same exact file in the Xbox was perfect.

On the Bravia TV, only Serviio was detected. It did not see Plex at all.

And as mentioned earlier, neither the Hopper or my Joey could see either DLNA server.

Everything else aside, there is still one more nail in the coffin that is a deal breaker for me with Plex. Plex can only be run as an application in Windows. You MUST have an account logged in in order to run Plex. It does not have the capability to run as a service like Serviio, TVersity, and PlayOn all do. For those of you wanting to run these on a headless server like I am, this means you have to keep your Administrator account logged in at all times for Plex to work. There are threads on the Plex forums where people suggest trying some "Application as a service" programs such as SRVANY, but that does not work because Plex requires EXPLORER.EXE to be running. There were several workarounds on the forums that some people proposed such as installing EXPLORER as a service and a delayed start of Plex, or creating an secondary Plex user account that is always logged in, but I did not want to tackle either workaround. Considering, Plex still has a way to go with compatibility, I will just wait and see what future versions offer.

Again, Plex has a very intriguing feature set. For people who dont need DLNA features and want to run PMC, or are happy with the built in support for gaming consoles or the Roku, Plex is awesome. For a DLNA server, it has a way to go. I will definitely follow its progress and re-evaluate it later.

Had my install with Hopper and 3 Joeys last Monday (26th Mar) which took 4.5 hours. Hopper did not see any DNLA devices until I did a power cord reboot yesterday. After that I was able to see my DLink DNS-323 NAS with it's two drives. Wooohoooo! But it looks like it will only view MP4 movies directly. AVI's and MKV's show a question mark and will not play.

Back to the MP4's:
720p formatted played pretty well, no audio sync problems but there was some pixelation on complex scenes. Mainly sweeping backgrounds such as almost blacks (night scenes) and almost all white (snow covered mountain fly overs).

1080p MP4's pixelate pretty bad with audio skips. None were watchable.

Hopper is directly connected to ethernet with about 64 mbs speed at the switch. I have a WD-Live plus box connected on the same switch in parallel to the TV and it can serve all my movies fine. So this looks like the codec in the hopper is not able to handle the more complex video files.

he Joeys are not seeing the DNLA drive yet. I have not done a power cord reboot yet. Only one of the joeys is connected via ethernet so I'm curious which if any will see the NAS drive. I'll post my results later today.

So for me, DNLA is working on the hopper, but only on MP4's with 720p resolution or less. Given this shortcoming, I will stick to the WD-Live for NAS viewing on the hopper. I hope Dish is working on fixing the home media app to handle all the standard video formats and resolutions as this was a main reason for me to upgrade to the hopper/joeys.

Well on Friday as per my last post DLNA worked on my Hopper after installing Plex on my pc. Well I tired it again yesterday and today and though nothing has changed it no longer works. Now I haven't tried rebooting the hopper yet but i'm pretty sure that would bring it back. Reason I say this i've gotten it to recognize my pc in the past by rebooting when it worked and then stopped working.

Does this mean somethin is unstable with my pcs ettings or is the hopper still in need a better software upgrade?

Does anybody know what native video format the Hopper streams? I can watch my MKV videos fine; however I can not fast forward or rewind. Anybody have a solution?

Well on Friday as per my last post DLNA worked on my Hopper after installing Plex on my pc. Well I tired it again yesterday and today and though nothing has changed it no longer works. Now I haven't tried rebooting the hopper yet but i'm pretty sure that would bring it back. Reason I say this i've gotten it to recognize my pc in the past by rebooting when it worked and then stopped working.

Does this mean somethin is unstable with my pcs ettings or is the hopper still in need a better software upgrade?

It means this is a feature they are still working on. Obviously, everyone is having DLNA trouble. I am sure they will iron it out. I can't believe that they got it out, working this well on time. I have a good feeling about this box. I have enjoyed mine. My TV sees DLNA, so I just use it.

I can just about get tversity to stream any format in 720 at this point. You just have to fool with the settings. I have always transcode selected as well as the pro version. I think I remember reading somewhere in a side by side comparison that the free version didn't transcode h264 and possibly others. I also have a hic in line behind my hopper. Laptop is also hardwired into my router.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts