My R10 has a "mind of it's own"...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WalksInDarkness

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Kekistan
My R10 seems to have a mind of it's own. :confused: For some strange reason, some mornings it just starts recording shows that I never programed. I am taking a wild guess that somehow one of my neighbors remote control is reaching my house. I have a neighbor about 150 feet away that also has D*. I think it has something to do with them, because all of the shows are very very old shows like "Perry Mason" and stuff. Seeing as the neighbors are elderly folks, it seems to make sense. Has anyone had this happen to them? Is there anything I can do about it?

TIA

LOL. This is normal Tivo behavior. Use the Thumb up and Thumbs Down for shows and it will "Learn" what you like to watch and start recording "Suggestions".

I had the same issue when i first got Tivo. I turned suggestions off but then back on after I learned exactly what it did. Suggestions has recorded some great shows that I wouldn't have known existed.

So instead of thinking you are gay, your Tivo thinks you are a senior citizen. Interesting.

riggscm said:
This is not ment as a flame... please don't take it as such.

WalksinDarkness, have you read your manual? a few of the questions you ask us are pretty well covered in that manual.

No biggie, just a thought.
That manual is pretty thick, and despite being college educated I am a ridiculously slow reader (so I didn't attempt a cover-to-cover read as it would probably take me 8 hours). And apparently I have no clue to any esoteric terminology, because every time I look up a word in the index I don't find it. And when I just do a quick scan of the sections, it will tell me to do something but not how to do it (like one section tells you to do soemthing in the "remote setup" screen, but doesn't tell you how to get to the screen nor what page # that particular instruction might be).
Anyhow, I thought that this forum was for such purposes as sharing knowledge?

kcobra said:
So instead of thinking you are gay, your Tivo thinks you are a senior citizen. Interesting.
I am not sure whether he is insulting me, or trying to flirt with me? :shocked Either way, I don't think my wife would approve...

WalksInDarkness said:
I am not sure whether he is insulting me, or trying to flirt with me? :shocked Either way, I don't think my wife would approve...

Umm... why is it whenever Walks posts a thread it gets flames to death or goes way off topic

I don't know, but I gotta say that I am glad Walks is a part of this forum... I get chuckles with every thread...

He was tying to do neither. There was an episode of King of Queens where one of the characters got a TiVo and it kept recording shows that a gay person might stereotypically watch. That's what he was refering to.

kcobra said:

both, mine taped the golden girls the first day i got it. last week it taped family matters... carl turned into a nerd. instant TGIF Classic.

I would just make sure to go into settings, and make sure that suggestions are turned off. (to get back onto topic)

Turn the suggestions off. Even though it wont take up space intended for something you set to record it will s l o w everything way down.

deezoneezo said:
Turn the suggestions off. Even though it wont take up space intended for something you set to record it will s l o w everything way down.
really i hadnt noticed a difference between mine with them turned off and the 2 with them turned on (well 1 is the hr10-250 which is slow anyway)

Wait, to be clear, are you saying the Tivo will work better with the Suggestions turned off? I recently turned my suggestions off since I was getting the Today Show, but not Good Morning America (I pretty much only watch ABC News) and some latino film festival, but I am neither Latino, nor do I like film festivals. I also do not currently have any viewing habits that would indicate that I prefer either.

I agree that there have been some winners in the Suggestions, but more often than not, I simply delete the excess shows. I do know (or at least I am operating under the impression) that the Tivo unit will operate more smoothly in the long run if you DO NOT utilize the Thumbs Up/Down feature. Since (very basically) those all point back to a database table deep inside the AI, the fewer the entries and data fields, the smoother it should run. It already gathers your viewing habits from shows that you specifically record or watch. So thumbing up/down only further reinforces your habits with the AI and speeds up the unit "learning" about you and what you want. This does not necessarily speed up the unit overall, or so I have heard from people smarter than me...

Still records by itself...

My R10 is still doing weird stuff. I did turn off "suggestions" last week, and it did stop most of the unprogrammed recordings (previously, it was self recording ~2 times a day). But in the last week or so, it spontaneously started self recording twice (once while my wife was watching a show the other night, and this morning before anyone was awake). I did double check the setting, and also checked the "to do" list. Not a big deal, as I don't store a lot of shows. I still wonder if I am getting signals from my neighbor?
:confused: Weird, wierd, weird...

WalksInDarkness said:
My R10 is still doing weird stuff. I did turn off "suggestions" last week, and it did stop most of the unprogrammed recordings (previously, it was self recording ~2 times a day). But in the last week or so, it spontaneously started self recording twice (once while my wife was watching a show the other night, and this morning before anyone was awake). I did double check the setting, and also checked the "to do" list. Not a big deal, as I don't store a lot of shows. I still wonder if I am getting signals from my neighbor?
:confused: Weird, wierd, weird...

no not weird... it gets some programming info by recording certain channels late at night/early morning.

those showcases and stuff come from recording the signal at those times. you cant turn this off.

sounds like a good explanation...

ShadowEKU said:
no not weird... it gets some programming info by recording certain channels late at night/early morning.

those showcases and stuff come from recording the signal at those times. you cant turn this off.
Oh... that would likely explain it. As the time it happened to my wife was after midnight. And when it happened this early morning it had moved to some other channel, that I have never seen before, like you described. But my R10 definitely lets me turn it off, both time we were able to stop the recording. Thanks for the info!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts