My savings with Directv so far

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
I've been with Directv so 6 months so far (switched back on 2/7/13) and figured I'd share with you guys the money as accurately as possible. Here's what I've paid D* in the 1st 7 months including sales tax (D* bills a month ahead now like Dish). Keep in mind I have the premier package with 1 genie and 1 client:

1st Month: $51.35
2nd Month: $55.70
3rd Month: $43.72
4th Month: $96.71
5th Month: $96.71
6th Month: $96.71
7th Month: $96.71
Total: $537.61

If I've would've stayed with Dish with their Everything Pack and just kept the 722k, I would've paid $127.95 per month including sales tax.
$127.95 * 7 months = $895.65
Savings = $895.65 - $537.61 = $358.04

If I've would've upgraded to the hopper (under the old pricing) I would've paid $138.55 including sales tax
$138.55 * 7 months = $969.85
Savings = $969.85 - $537.61 = $432.24

So I've saved at least $358 so far in the 1st 7 months. Not bad.:) I'll update the thread again when I hit 12, 18 and 24 months.

Those 1st year savings are great aren't they? :)

I'm in my first year with Dish (again), and am seeing great savings too!

Currently I have:
T250, HBO,SHO,MAX, BB@Home, and Multi-Sport

Current bill with new customer rebates, 1/2 price 6-month deals for the premiums, BB@Home and Multi-Sport is $75 approximately. And I have a couple of refer a friends that will give me another $10 off. Next months bill should be $65/month for the next 5 months.
?

I've been with both a few times and after the 1st year runs out a big chunk discount goes away as we all know.

But with both, even during the 1st year from signup, I always got some discount. Sometimes really nice ones, other times not so much. Play the 3 month freebies that show up often enough these days, ask for some help on the bill, whatever it takes and in general some sort of discount can nearly always be in place. Or at least it is/was for me.

Possibly because I generally have nearly a top level base programming package and sub to at least 2 premiums at any given time is what makes it work for me. Oh and my son's occasional foray into idiocy by wanting to pay for a UFC PPV event could help too.

I've been with Directv so 6 months so far (switched back on 2/7/13) and figured I'd share with you guys the money as accurately as possible. Here's what I've paid D* in the 1st 7 months including sales tax (D* bills a month ahead now like Dish). Keep in mind I have the premier package with 1 genie and 1 client:

1st Month: $51.35
2nd Month: $55.70
3rd Month: $43.72
4th Month: $96.71
5th Month: $96.71
6th Month: $96.71
7th Month: $96.71
Total: $537.61

If I've would've stayed with Dish with their Everything Pack and just kept the 722k, I would've paid $127.95 per month including sales tax.
$127.95 * 7 months = $895.65
Savings = $895.65 - $537.61 = $358.04

If I've would've upgraded to the hopper (under the old pricing) I would've paid $138.55 including sales tax
$138.55 * 7 months = $969.85
Savings = $969.85 - $537.61 = $432.24

So I've saved at least $358 so far in the 1st 7 months. Not bad.:) I'll update the thread again when I hit 12, 18 and 24 months.

I think I am actually saving more than that with my switch from Dish. I was very unhappy with Dish previously when I discussed the upgrade to the Hopper with Sling. I had been a customer for many years with a full package getting literally everything. Over the years prices went up, they had their channel disputes with providers and I did not upgrade frequently as many others. I get a bill for returning the 722 receivers I sent back to them. They are CREEPS. People often complain about cable companies. I never heard of a cable company charging to return equipment. Keep in mind the DVR chargers per month are pretty good on that stuff. And I told Dish they are creeps. These days rarely will a company act in that manner even if you are leaving them. People who pay their bills on time are also valued as they dish and directv get stiffed by customers from time to time. Calling the company was like calling some third world operation. No matter the entire cable/satellite business is changing rapidly. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 5 yrs.

Yet I've been with them for 13 years and am paying $155mo. No HBO, no Skinemax,no SHO, no sports pkg and I had to call a VPs office to get them to upgrade my equipment to HD

Just for S&G's, how much would unlimited home phone service, internet and security system fee's add to the total in your area? (Just to compare)

And Cable customers and DISH customers can save equal or more also over the first months or year or two! If you are willing to switch every two years or so you can save money.

Just for S&G's, how much would unlimited home phone service, internet and security system fee's add to the total in your area? (Just to compare)

I'm not sure if D has rolled out home security in our area,( I haven't looked into it,since I already have security cameras that upload images to a remote server) but bundling Verizon DSL & phone added another $60/mo problem being that even though I'm in a city of 200k I'm too far from the center and they couldn't get more than a 500k connection when they came to hook up the phone/dsl when we bought the house. I think everybody realizes that Verizon has put all their money into Fios/wireless and let the POTS/DSL just come to its EOL cycle

I'm not sure if D has rolled out home security in our area,( I haven't looked into it,since I already have security cameras that upload images to a remote server) but bundling Verizon DSL & phone added another $60/mo problem being that even though I'm in a city of 200k I'm too far from the center and they couldn't get more than a 500k connection when they came to hook up the phone/dsl when we bought the house. I think everybody realizes that Verizon has put all their money into Fios/wireless and let the POTS/DSL just come to its EOL cycle

I go thru this cycle every 6 months or so: compare DTV, and either separate internet service, separate UL home phone and home security services. Bundles for internet, home phone are rare unless you also bundle in TV services. My cable TV services are great, Video is outstanding. I have nearly all the premiums, we have 246 HD channels and 500+ SD channels, 11/1 internet, Unlimited home phone and monitored security system with an "I-Pad type controller" with home automation gadgetry. Two HD DVR's, 1 HD box, FREE box exchange either locally or by a service tech and no contract. Its about $75 more than your monthly DTV bill or $15 more if you count your verizon account. I too have a 16 channel Video DVR on line, however this is not part of the Cable company.

Now this is not to Diss DTV/Dsh or your situation, I am only trying to make a comparison, but every time I think of switching services, at the end of the analysis, it will cost me more once you get past the 3rd month and then finally the 12th month . I made my comparison using the Premier package trying to keep the apples to apples approach. (Premium Pkg with Geni, HD DVR, HD receiver = 298 start up costs + after month 13 = 151.99 + Tax etc)

Better comparison for same service, I am listening.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts