Status
Please reply by conversation.

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I emailed my 3 congress people 12 days ago about not qualifying for digital distants and just got a phone call from Senator Jeffords's office (Vermont) in Washington.

It seems that some in Congress ARE interested in the problem with people in areas that can't get digital networks OTA being denied the digital distant feeds from satellite.

He had me on the phone for about 15 minutes and by the way he was repeating things back to me, he was obviously taking notes. He said my email was the first his office had heard anything about this and that they intend to try and do something to resolve the problem. Whether it would be putting pressure on the FCC to define the digital white area sooner or issuing some clarifications on the new legislation, I don't know.

My sense is that he and many in congress intended this bill to help the viewers that have no digital OTA options and he seemed quite interested that this wasn't what was happening.

I think that if every one that has been denied the HD distants called or emailed their congressman, we might see some FCC action rather quickly.

WaltinVt

Well I went to that web site and who ever thinks that the colorado coverage is anything like that is not aware of the current tower situation. ABC only broacsts 2 Kwatt on top of there building. Lucky if you can recive that signal even in downtown denver let alone 45 miles away.

No wonder I have to get the tests done....

colofan said:
Well I went to that web site and who ever thinks that the colorado coverage is anything like that is not aware of the current tower situation. ABC only broacsts 2 Kwatt on top of there building. Lucky if you can recive that signal even in downtown denver let alone 45 miles away.

No wonder I have to get the tests done....

My local FOX (O&O) is only broadcasting 850 watts.....but at least I get FOX-HD from D*.

So Barneypoo69 did you go out and see what the FCC thinks the coverage area is for the station? So yes I think the FCC needs to grant waivers acroos the board until a station has proved that they are out of the "construction" phase of the DTV.

Personally they (the broadcaster) are trying to delay the equipment cost to upgrade to DTV as long as possible.... I say then allow D* to provide that service until the construction phase is over.

The FCC could pull the temp license and pull them off the air if they wanted to on the lack of implementing DTV mandated by congress. Guess how fast stations would move then.

Waltinvt;

I thank you for your drive in this; I sent off letters to the congessional team a few minutes ago.

Thanks again.

I sent these a couple of years ago and was told by my rep at the time (via mail) that this was not an issue they would be supporting ... I am glad they are out of office!

Even if Congress approves all these new and great measures, no one will be able to get service anyway because DirecTV will tie up everything in the FCC's bureaucratic waiver process, and/or your local affiliate will stake a claim to your address as they do now.

I do think it is GREAT that your rep both supports the bill and contacted you! Here in Colorado we have a group of idiots tying out high power facilities in court. They say they are worried about RF exposure levels. I guess no one told them the only was to hide is to wrap themselves in foil and hide in Cheyenne Mountain (NORAD). I mean really ... is it legitimate for people to fear radio waves?

colofan said:
So Barneypoo69 did you go out and see what the FCC thinks the coverage area is for the station? So yes I think the FCC needs to grant waivers acroos the board until a station has proved that they are out of the "construction" phase of the DTV.

Personally they (the broadcaster) are trying to delay the equipment cost to upgrade to DTV as long as possible.... I say then allow D* to provide that service until the construction phase is over.

The FCC could pull the temp license and pull them off the air if they wanted to on the lack of implementing DTV mandated by congress. Guess how fast stations would move then.

My local FOX station is using the "hardship", FCC granted them.

Its this simple

Barneypoo69 said:
My local FOX station is using the "hardship", FCC granted them.
The "hardship" grant may extend their alloted time without being fined or shut down but it shouldn't change the fact that in the mean time you are still "unserved" and would be entitled to distant HD nets if the white area were in play.

The FCC knows full well that many affiliates are using any tactic they can to stall on full power digital. They also know the absolute only way to get this digital transition moving is competition. The NAB knows this too, which is why they used "campaign air time" last Summer / Fall as a backdoor negotiating tool to get Congress to stall as long as possible on passing this legislation and now the FCC as long as they can in implementing.

They all see the writing on the wall but the plan right now is to give the independent network affiliates (collectively called the NAB) a protective shield against any competition from satellite (both DNS & Sig Viewed) for as long as possible in hopes of keeping the viewer loss at a minimum until satellite has the ability of carrying all the locals in digital.

Why do you think "D" was so quiet during the legislation hearings. They knew Dish was not going to be allowed to put up the HD nets until a white area was defined and the FCC was going to stall the white area until "D" was ready to start providing LILs in HD up (where they knew they had the edge of "E" ). They were given the edge from day one and to insure Dish couldn't catch up too soon, they added the "locals all on one dish" wording.

None of this can be proven of course and the only way it can be countered is by a grassroots effort to pressure the FCC (via Congress) into acting sooner rather than later. Some effort on Dish's part would help. They need to solidify their customer base right now and start defining where they are heading. Believe me, as attractive as "D" may seen right now (and I'm even tempted into switching), if Dish falls, we all loose.
WaltinVt

So are you saying that a station can use the "hardship" definition to keep me from getting the distant nets? It seems that as a customer if I can't get the HD signal then I am in a white are by definition. That is why I am getting the testing done. I think that if enough sat customers were to hand a bill to the local affilate to prove that they can't get the signal that tier no policy on waivers would quickly change.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)