My SWM setup/HR34

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Iceberg said:
then all you have to do is remove the splitter and you'll be fine. That is how I have it

SWM LNB------cable-------power inserter-----cable---HR34

You would need a splitter in this set up IF the LNB wasn't able to switch between tuners

Iceberg said:
what do you mean? The HR34 only runs SWM. I have only a HR34 and what I posted above is how mine is hooked up

The splitter is strictly that, a splitter. The LNB is what assigns the SWM channels so you can run up to 8 tuners on a SWM LNB regardless of the splitter. Now obviously you can't hook up 8 tuners without a splitter. But that's how it works. This is why you're able to hook up an HR24 and a HR34 using just a 2 way.

interesting. Did that change recently?
When I got HD in Dec 2010 the tech used a 8 way because I had 2 R22's and adding a H23 (to get the HD to turn on the R22s) and the 8 way was needed due to tuners (5)

Iceberg said:
interesting. Did that change recently?
When I got HD in Dec 2010 the tech used a 8 way because I had 2 R22's and adding a H23 (to get the HD to turn on the R22s) and the 8 way was needed due to tuners (5)

Nope, we use to be told that if you had DVRs you need the free ports for the 2nd tuner but that has changed. The LNB's always had an internal splitter. That's why you're able to use the HR34 without a splitter. It's only 1 receiver but it's using 5 tuners which the LNB can handle

BTW if i want to use my HR34 as my lone receiver and get rid of the splitter can i use an inline coax coupler to add line from my dish to reach the HR34 when i get it?

My power inserter line runs from an output to the splitter down my wall behind my tv. I was asking if i wanted to eliminate the splitter could i put a coax inline coupler to connect the feed from the satellite to the line coming from the PI that also feeds my receiver? I do not run a separate line to power my lnb. I use both of the PI's outputs the one to power the swm and the one to the IRD (receiver)

My power inserter line runs from an output to the splitter down my wall behind my tv. I was asking if i wanted to eliminate the splitter could i put a coax inline coupler to connect the feed from the satellite to the line coming from the PI that also feeds my receiver? I do not run a separate line to power my lnb. I use both of the PI's outputs the one to power the swm and the one to the IRD (receiver)

If your just trying to extend the line, Yes, but you still need the Power Inserter somewhere in the line.

May also be a difference between the white label and green label SWM!?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED using SatelliteGuys

No, the green label doesn't need a blocker for mrv.

SWM is kind of simple. No internal splitter. The switch listens for a control signal on 2mhz. When a receiver powers up it claims its swm channels based on the number of tuners it has. There are 9 swm channels. 8 for video and 1 for the APG. Any receiver can use the APG when it needs. All 9 channels are modulated on the coax. Kind of like cable tv when you split it, all swm channels are sent to every receiver. The receiver ignores the channels it didn't claim when it powered up. When you change channels, the receiver tells the swm, hey I need 101 TP 30 on my swm 4 channel. So the switch takes that transponder and downconverts it to swm channel 4. Your receiver takes the signal and picks out the video stream you requested.

So you can see, it has nothing to do with splitter ports. You actually want the least amount of splitters for less loss on MRV. I have seen some setups where a swm16 was used and two 8 splitters were on each swm leg. The loss of the cable, splitter, swm16 internal mrv bridge, then the other 8 way was to great for mrv to work. We ended up consolidating stuff down and put the HR34 by itself on one swm leg and the other receivers on the other leg. And with the swm16 you can not put more than 8 tuners on each leg.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

No, the green label doesn't need a blocker for mrv.

SWM is kind of simple. No internal splitter. The switch listens for a control signal on 2mhz. When a receiver powers up it claims its swm channels based on the number of tuners it has. There are 9 swm channels. 8 for video and 1 for the APG. Any receiver can use the APG when it needs. All 9 channels are modulated on the coax. Kind of like cable tv when you split it, all swm channels are sent to every receiver. The receiver ignores the channels it didn't claim when it powered up. When you change channels, the receiver tells the swm, hey I need 101 TP 30 on my swm 4 channel. So the switch takes that transponder and downconverts it to swm channel 4. Your receiver takes the signal and picks out the video stream you requested.

So you can see, it has nothing to do with splitter ports. You actually want the least amount of splitters for less loss on MRV. I have seen some setups where a swm16 was used and two 8 splitters were on each swm leg. The loss of the cable, splitter, swm16 internal mrv bridge, then the other 8 way was to great for mrv to work. We ended up consolidating stuff down and put the HR34 by itself on one swm leg and the other receivers on the other leg. And with the swm16 you can not put more than 8 tuners on each leg.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Very nice explanation !!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts