My take on The E* HD scene....

NOHDjunkie

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 20, 2004
Lacombe La
I personally don't watch SD at all If I can help it.

Of the HD I watch and record, most is Network OTA. Prime time Shows and football.

Discovery HD = pretty good watch it more than Voom. (Never record anything)

HDnet and HDnet Movies = A few movies. Some shows are OK. Mostly fluff (Never record anything)

ESPN HD = Pro Football Sunday nights. thats it.

HBO HD = Original programming Record and watch several shows ( Deadwood, sopranos, etc.)

Show HD = Original programming Record and watch several shows ( Huff, Weeds etc.)

VOOM Rave HD = Good channel record some concerts/shows.

The rest of voom = flip through it (never record) have watched maybe 2 movies

The New VOOM channels = couldn't care less, as uncompelling as the rest of voom except for Rave.

New ESPN2HD = couldn't care less unless there is Pro football on it.

New Universal HD = Maybe if it shows SciFi, USA, and NBC shows I missed.

So... I'm in no big hurry for new Mpeg 4 channels or equipment.

Maybe if Network Distants are put up in HD Mpeg4. Or if they put my Locals In HD. then I'll get all riled up about a new Reciever(s) to upgrade my 942 and two 811s.

So, What do you "really" watch to warrant all the uproar about the New HD plans? or is it just so you can flip through 30 channels of HD to show your freinds instead of 20?

What I want = Distant nets in HD

FX in HD

USA in HD

SciFi in HD

Ultimately = everything in HD

The problem is that everyone's taste of HD is different. Here's mine.

ESPN HD/ESPN2 HD ----> I don't care to have. I hardly watch them unless is baseball.

UHD ----> Hardly watch except for BSG.

HDnet/HDnet Movies ----> Very important to me.

VOOM Suite of HD channels----> Very important to me. I like variety and movies on my programming.

Network HD ----> do not care since I have them all OTA.

HB0 HD/Showtime HD ----> Very important to me.

Discovery HD ----> Very important to me.

NFL Football Games -----> Not important to me. Except for local.

Sure I would like to have FX, USA, and SCIFI but they are not ready for HD!

For me...

NYC Locals - Uplinked for the last month. Supposedly to be activated any day now. Change that to any month now (assuming I can get a 622 when it comes out and not have a 9 month backlog like everyone went through when the 921 first came out). Super Bowl and FOX/ABC playoffs in HD now lost. Olympics in HD now lost (except for the NBC HD feed which MAY come back this year, BUT was just a few events and a day and a half late last time)

Universal HD. - BG eps airing again. Would like to watch that.

ESPN2 HD - I'm more patient on this but I would want it by April when Baseball starts up again.

Voom Channels - Some look interesting, but I'm not losing sleep over these.

I just have the normal HD pack, and while I would like to have ESPN2 HD, I wouldn't pay a ton of money just to get a MPEG 4 reciever so that I could recieve it.

But, if they provided a cheap way for me to trade in my 811, and get a MPEG4 HD DVR, I would probably do it.

For me .. no effect.

I get all of the LA HD channels OTA. Between that and the current MPEG-2 HD from Dish, I get more stuff that interests me than I have time to watch. I might be more concerned if I didn't have a PVR.

As it is, I watch very little SD. UHD is of some interest, but I'm content to wait for an affordable, available PVR. No hurry, they have at least until the start of the next college football season. I get all the Pro Stuff OTA and ESPN. That isn't supposed to change. I'm more concerned with replacing my 34" HD CRT with a bigger screen flat panel than with the current controversy over a handful of so-so channels.

I understand that people have different tastes. My post was just a conversation starter listing my thoughts on the available HD and what I would like to see.

My only reason(s) for wanting the locals or distant nets in HD...

1) Katrina destroyed my Local stations transmitters (New Orleans) and only two of the six are back up and transmitting in HD (Fox and CBS)

ABC, NBC, WB and UPN are months (6 to 18) away from being back.

2) having local OTA HD and the distants in HD on the Sat would allow for being able to record multiple shows on my 942/622 if they overlap or are on at the same time.

I can already do this with CBS OTA and CBSHD (east)

Regarding VOOM:

IMO Voom is just a waste of bandwidth as it stands. It should be like an HDnet or INHD channel set. (but with more than two channels)

VOOM = 1 sport channel (Combine worldsport and rush.)

1 movie channel (like HDnet Movies)

1 Documentary channel (combine Gallery, Ultra, equator) like Discovery HD

1 music channel

1 family channel (like a disney type channel with cartoons and family shows/movies)

I know there is supposed to be "more content coming" for all the channels. But 15 channels? when 5 would be more efficient and less redundant....

I am glad they didn't do the full 21. With VOOM DBS we had 10 movie channels all showing two movies each all day long over and over and over.

21 original channels was too ambitious considering the available content.

So You can include me in the quality/content over quantity camp for sure.

The most quality content for me is still network HD and Original Programming on ShowHD and HBOHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts