Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Over the past few weeks I have been able to really play with VOOM, I purchased a new HDTV for my bedroom and moved my VOOM box from my main TV to my bedroom.

I have been watching VOOM and have found some of the programming which I thought I would never watch actually good programming.

Even though many of the movies on the Cinema 10 channels are old there are some goodies which are shown. Over the past 2 weeks I have noticed that most of my Standard Definition viewing has been done with VOOM instead of Dish Network. The only times I really watched Dish Network is when I wanted to watch something off the DVR.

I must admit I am starting to like VOOM more and more.

My Box has been stable, I have not even rebooted the unit since I moved it. I am picking up all the OTA channels on VOOM except for one which is too far and too low power to receive. I do wish I could map other Digital Channels which I can receive from my location as these channels are not mapped yet.

I have been thinking of unsubscribing from Dish Network, but I can't and here is where the problem with VOOM comes in.

I have 6 TV's in my house hooked up to satellite, 2 are HDTV and the rest are Standard Definition. All TV's have a DVR hooked up to them except one.

If I were to drop dish for VOOM I would need 5 more VOOM receivers. Imagine the cost of doing that, and also consider the fact that 4 of the TV's are Standard Definition. Voom should have boxes which are low cost units which do SD only, for users like me. Maybe the boxes can downconvert the HD stuff to 480i for the SD sets. It is this cost of getting or renting 5 more boxes from VOOM that prevent me from making the switch.

Let's hope VOOM can address this, maybe the new Voom DVR can do this, and maybe it can't. But I can't see TV junkies switching to VOOM unless they can VOOM on all their televisions.

I agree. There isn't a good low price receiver like a 301 from Dish Network. I'm getting two VOOM receivers installed next week that I'm going to rent, and I'll be fine renting them for a while, but I'm hoping their DVR is a more permanent solution.

Potentially, the DVR could be a cheaper solution. The STB Thin Clients would really have to be just a little more than a box that can relay the IR Signal and Output the picture. I wouldn't mind sinking some money into the main box, if the Thin Clients were pretty cheap.

Basically, I'll be content to rent/lease for now, but I'm hoping if I really fall in love with VOOM, that there will be a more permanent solution down the road. For now, the rental deal is just too good to pass up.

I was looking at give VOOM a shot but the lack of STB's for the SD sets along with a SD PVR stopped me right away. Have you though about dumping E* and coming over to the dark side, DirecTV? Once you've tried a Tivo (or Replay for that fact) PVR you'll find it hard to use a E* PVR. Have you checked out pricing to switch? This site, http://www.valueelectronics.com/directv_sys.htm can get you a DirecTivo and two other STB's for $39.97 or $59.96 is you go with the phase III dish (recommended).

I'll miss my PVR, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I really only tape a couple of shows. Most of the other stuff I watch live. I'll gladly sign up for one if VOOM brings one out, but it isn't a necessity for me.

Also, there's only 2 of us in the house and we have 3 TV's. 2 Receivers from VOOM will cover us no problem. I'll put on on the main HDTV in the family room and another on the small HDTV LCD screen in the bedroom. I'll use a wireless signal transmitter on the composite outs of that box to send a signal to our other SD TV downstairs.

If VOOM doesn't work out for me, I'll probably try cable. DirecTV is an option, but trying to find the right deal or getting a good new subscriber deal from them is so confusing it doesn't seem worth the effort. As long as VOOM works decently well, I can receiver my OTA Digital Stations (I should be able to), and they add ESPN eventually (hopefully along with some increased Sports content) it will more than meet my needs.

The DVR will just be icing on the cake when it comes out.

I wonder if Voom will ever be able to satisfy everyone's needs. Some want more sports programming, some want more female programming, some want PVRs, and some want more SD STB capabilities. I'm not sure what E* and D* do, but cable companies charge $5-$10 per STB. I'm not going E* or cable b/c of pq and bandwidth issues. D* wants $300 for its HD STB, or $1000 for its HD DirecTivo. There doesn't seem to be a single provider who's right for many of us. I think the race is this: Does V* add more channels before D* lowers its equipment prices? I think Q4 2004 is going to be the time when somebody steps up and becomes the clear choice for HD enthusiasts.

Honestly, outside of ESPN, I don't see any more "must have" SD channels that they absolutely have to carry in order to get people to sign up. Maybe USA, but even that one I'm not so sure about.

I would love it if every channel added after ESPN was an HD channel. That's where I'd like them to focus more than anything else. They just need to make the effort to have every new HD channels as they become available. Then as the current SD channels eventually launch HD versions they can begin to replace them, until finally they don't carry any SD stuff anymore.

I understand it's a process, but I hope VOOM really just focusses on the HD stuff. I think they could really move ahead quickly once they add ESPN and then perhaps HDNet and INHD1 & 2. Those would be huge for them

I agree Scott. I have 4 TVs in the house with 2 currently hooked up to Voom. I do find myself watching many of the Voom "exclusive" channels, but mainly because they are in HD and even after having my HDTV for a year, it's still a "novelty" item for me.

I am leasing the STBs and have them hooked up to my main HDTV and a "smaller" SD TV in the loft. At $15 extra a month for a STB, I am thinking of getting rid of the second box and just having one hooked into my main TV since there are onlt 2 of us in the house watching TV now. The little one is only 6 months and isn't watching (too much) TV yet. :p $15 seems too steep to me for extra SD sets. For the $45 more a month it would cost me to have 3 Voom boxes hooked to my SD TVs, I might as well keep my $45 subscription to cable on those TVs (which doesn't require a STB) and pick up the channels I am missing on Voom (ESPN, USA, Chicago FoxSportsNet) etc. Now, if they were maybe $5 extra a month for each additional STB, I would probably reconsider.

"I was looking at give VOOM a shot but the lack of STB's for the SD sets along with a SD PVR stopped me right away. Have you though about dumping E* and coming over to the dark side, DirecTV? Once you've tried a Tivo (or Replay for that fact) PVR you'll find it hard to use a E* PVR. Have you checked out pricing to switch? This site, http://www.valueelectronics.com/directv_sys.htm can get you a DirecTivo and two other STB's for $39.97 or $59.96 is you go with the phase III dish (recommended)."

Sounds like a goddamn DirecTV Advertisment :)

neo0285 said:
"I was looking at give VOOM a shot but the lack of STB's for the SD sets along with a SD PVR stopped me right away. Have you though about dumping E* and coming over to the dark side, DirecTV? Once you've tried a Tivo (or Replay for that fact) PVR you'll find it hard to use a E* PVR. Have you checked out pricing to switch? This site, http://www.valueelectronics.com/directv_sys.htm can get you a DirecTivo and two other STB's for $39.97 or $59.96 is you go with the phase III dish (recommended)."

Sounds like a goddamn DirecTV Advertisment :)

I've always doubted the claim that DirecTV dealers posted negative comments about the competition, but this post also has me scratching my head.

cyuhnke said:
I've always doubted the claim that DirecTV dealers posted negative comments about the competition, but this post also has me scratching my head.

Sorry, I meant to include this as a response to Scotts comment about Voom's lack of SD boxes and how he would need some to cover the other sets if he dumped E*. Not a dealer, just trying to pass some information onto Scott if he was serious about dumping E*.

I love my Replay since I swapped the 40 gig for a 200 gig drive. I was watching and recording boxing sunday morning, turned it off (was still recording) turned it back on yesterday aft. and it picked up right where I left off. Have another 200 gig coming in for the hdtivo( if I can get one soon) and will wait to see if it is stable.

I had DirecTV before and didn't really like it (Nor did my wife) The channels we just put up there and had no order, on dish you have all the entertainment, then kids, then womens, then sports, then news etc all in order.

My wife so far likes the way VOOM is setup (although she HATES the guide)

This is what i was talking about in an earlier post. VOOM has the address the std receiver issue. Its not all that difficult to make a receiver that is just standard. I know that they are a HD service first.....but if they dont have a std receiver to put in other rooms of the house you must have another carrier such as cable or dtv or dish to fill in for the shortfalls of voom. If they dont address the std issue Voom will fail. Dont get me wrong, I love VOOm. But now I have to do to DTV and subscribe for a package from them when if voom had Std receivers I would call them up and tell them to add 3 more receivers to my house. And that would be along with the everything package. If the bill gets too much to handle for me, VOOM and DTV together, with Roadrunner service from cable....which adds to 160 per mth for everything...I have to cancel VOOM. Sorry but it would have to go. All because they dont make it easy for me as a customer to have them as a sole provider in my house. Somethings wrong if they dont see this.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Maybe the boxes can downconvert the HD stuff to 480i for the SD sets. .
The current VOOM box already does downconvert the HD channels to 480i. I really don't think that there would be a significant cost savings to make a box that could downconvert and only output in 480i.

There is a drawback of creating an SD box only. Most SD boxes for E* or D* do not downconvert the HD channels. So if this is what you want for VOOM, you will not be able to watch any of 30+ HD channels downconverted. The advantage of the HD box is that you can still downconvert the HD channels and watch them on an SD tv.

What I think they really need is a way (like Dish or DirecTv) for customers with more than 3 receivers. Right now, it makes no sense to rent three receivers or more:

3 stbs --- rental fee = $35/mth
4 stbs --- rental fee = $45/mth
5 stbs --- rental fee = $55/mth
6 stbs --- rental fee = $65/mth

They need to put in place a plan for these type of customers. A plan that will be afordable. Some options that I have in mind right now:

1- Requiring VAVAVOOM subscription or
2- 1 year commitments or
3- be able to lease and buy in the same account

I think the issue goes away with Home networking (or is greatly mitigated). It can't happen soon enough (as I have Voom + Cable myself for some of the reasons cited).

I have to agree. While my install was a NIGHTMARE, I'm beginning to really like VOOM. Except for a few channels I miss, and no DVR, I think the STB, HD content, and PQ are all getting better and better.

We have similiar issues with Voom. We have 2 Dish DVR's and RF remotes in each room. One DVR feeds the family room and the other feeds the whole house. This provides seperate feeds for different tastes. And we are very dependent on DVR functions. No, they do not have Tivo features but we are happy with them. We have two more 4900 receivers. One in our camper and one at our cabin up north.
We have had Voom for a little over a month. I love the HD channels but with our current setup, there are some basic functions that are killing Voom for us.

1) No RF remotes
2) No DVR/PVR (Today)
3) Un-known PVR fee structure (read expensive)
4) Phone Line Requirements

Having had Voom for a month now we find ourselves watching it most all the time. About the only thing we switch it off for now is a few recorded local shows. And occasional programming Voom does not carry. Seems Dish has more premium movie channels.

A plus we cannot confirm is SD material seems much better with Voom versus Dish. We do not have a Dish HD STB to compare apples to apples.

Sean Mota said:
There is a drawback of creating an SD box only. Most SD boxes for E* or D* do not downconvert the HD channels. So if this is what you want for VOOM, you will not be able to watch any of 30+ HD channels downconverted. The advantage of the HD box is that you can still downconvert the HD channels and watch them on an SD tv.

What I think they really need is a way (like Dish or DirecTv) for customers with more than 3 receivers. Right now, it makes no sense to rent three receivers or more:

3 stbs --- rental fee = $35/mth
4 stbs --- rental fee = $45/mth
5 stbs --- rental fee = $55/mth
6 stbs --- rental fee = $65/mth

They need to put in place a plan for these type of customers. A plan that will be afordable. Some options that I have in mind right now:

1- Requiring VAVAVOOM subscription or
2- 1 year commitments or
3- be able to lease and buy in the same account

I agree Sean ...something needs to be done. Maybe not a straightfoward STD receiver, but something affordable so that I could have VOOM and only VOOM in my house. If they had such a package I would already sub to the VAVAVOOM package. Because I have to also sub to Directv, I have to cut some of my monthly bills by opting for the lower package. Which makes me feel like I am missing a good part of what VOOM has to offer.

3 stbs= $27.50 + 2 x $5 = $37.50.
4 stbs= $38.00 + 3 x $5 = $53.
5 stbs= $47.50 + 4 x $5 = $67.50.
6 stbs= $57.00 + 5 x $5 = $82.00.

Sean, you forgot the $5 extra receiver fee, or do they not charge $5 per every extra receiver?. The above would be the corrected lease figure per month. The stb fee costs more than the programming. Voom really needs to rethink their whole house strategy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)