GEOSATpro My true south KU says are off line!!!

Luthier1960

Original poster
Mar 15, 2018
Clearwater,fl
I recently purchased a 1.2 meter geosatpro dish and a Technomate-2600 m2 H-H motor. My first issue with setting said dish up was the fact that in order to use this dish with a motor the instructions tell me to invert the mount which in turn changes the angle of the dish asking for a 4.5 degree correction ( also in the instructions). However, the elevation scale is now inverted as well. So the proper elevation (30deg -4.6 declination) was alittle sketchy to start with.
After that fiasco, I go to lyngsat to look up my trie south satellite and 83 west is off line. I'm @82.4 deg longitude....
So, I look to another 82 west and it is beeming Canada and I couldn't get anything off it.
I'm not totally I'm the dark when it comes to setting up an H-H motor. I have a 90 up there as well and it was a quick set up with 83 west and USALS.
At this point I'm kinda confused how I would go about setting up on another satellite as it would be hard to track the arch if I change the dish elevation ( the instructions say 30deg - declination).
Help, where do I go from here?
Any info would be appreciated.
I would also welcome any comments or thoughts on the dish angle issues with the Geosatpro 1.2 meter dishes.
Thanks all!

I recently purchased a 1.2 meter geosatpro dish and a Technomate-2600 m2 H-H motor. My first issue with setting said dish up was the fact that in order to use this dish with a motor the instructions tell me to invert the mount which in turn changes the angle of the dish asking for a 4.5 degree correction ( also in the instructions). However, the elevation scale is now inverted as well. So the proper elevation (30deg -4.6 declination) was alittle sketchy to start with.
After that fiasco, I go to lyngsat to look up my trie south satellite and 83 west is off line. I'm @82.4 deg longitude....
So, I look to another 82 west and it is beeming Canada and I couldn't get anything off it.
I'm not totally I'm the dark when it comes to setting up an H-H motor. I have a 90 up there as well and it was a quick set up with 83 west and USALS.
At this point I'm kinda confused how I would go about setting up on another satellite as it would be hard to track the arch if I change the dish elevation ( the instructions say 30deg - declination).
Help, where do I go from here?
Any info would be appreciated.
I would also welcome any comments or thoughts on the dish angle issues with the Geosatpro 1.2 meter dishes.
Thanks all!

Welcome to Satellite Guys Luthier1960! I've never used the GeosatPro 1.2 (using a 90cm Fortec Star with Stab HH100) so I can't comment on it's setup but when you think you have the elevation sorted out you should be able to use 87W for aligning your dish. Aim the whole motor assembly as close to true south as you can then tighten up the motor on the pole so you can just rotate it - you don't want a lot of slack. Make a mark on the pole/motor so you can return to this spot. Verify that your location is entered correctly in your receiver and use USALS to send the motor to 87W. Set your receiver to an active transponder on 87W and slowly rotate the whole motor assembly on the pole a few degrees to the east, then the west (don't use USALS as you want to keep the motor 'aimed' at 87W). Make sure you give the receiver enough time to get a lock as it can take several seconds depending on the received signal. If you don't get a lock in either direction then start back at your mark on the pole, raise or lower your motor a degree and repeat. When you get a lock do a scan and see what sat you are on. If you are not on 87W the sat your are on will give you a clue as to the direction you need to go and whether you need to raise/lower your dish. When you do hit 87W and fine tune then your motor should be tracking the arc. Using USALS go to other sats and scan to be sure. If not, do more fine tuning. If so, tighten the motor on the pole. :)

Aligning the dish with the HH motor is extremely critical with U-bolt type mount clamps. The reflector will not accurately track the arc unless the reflector AZ is in perfect alignment with the motor. I use a tapper screw to secure this alignment once it is aligned and tracking is confirmed.

Also, be sure that the motor is EXACTLY on the Zero centered position when performing a motor Reset. If the motor is in a different position when resetting, the center calculating position will be offset and incorrect!

A digital angle finder on a straight edge placed on the reflector's rim at the vertical axis (12 o'clock to 6 o'clock) plus the offset angle (27.3) will confirm the correct mount elevation scale setting.

Example: Place the dish mount on a plumb post. Calculate the dish declination elevation setting required for your latitude. If the calculated reflector elevation angle is 25 degrees, set the mount for the digital angle meter to display -2.3 degrees (27.3 - 25 = -2.3).

Set the motor latitude scale to match your latitude and the mount and align the reflector on the motor tube.

As a note for anyone else motorizing a GSP 1.2m, I would highly recommend a bottom loading motor design like the stab HH 120. Much easier to install!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Welcome to Satellite Guys Luthier1960! I've never used the GeosatPro 1.2 (using a 90cm Fortec Star with Stab HH100) so I can't comment on it's setup but when you think you have the elevation sorted out you should be able to use 87W for aligning your dish. Aim the whole motor assembly as close to true south as you can then tighten up the motor on the pole so you can just rotate it - you don't want a lot of slack. Make a mark on the pole/motor so you can return to this spot. Verify that your location is entered correctly in your receiver and use USALS to send the motor to 87W. Set your receiver to an active transponder on 87W and slowly rotate the whole motor assembly on the pole a few degrees to the east, then the west (don't use USALS as you want to keep the motor 'aimed' at 87W). Make sure you give the receiver enough time to get a lock as it can take several seconds depending on the received signal. If you don't get a lock in either direction then start back at your mark on the pole, raise or lower your motor a degree and repeat. When you get a lock do a scan and see what sat you are on. If you are not on 87W the sat your are on will give you a clue as to the direction you need to go and whether you need to raise/lower your dish. When you do hit 87W and fine tune then your motor should be tracking the arc. Using USALS go to other sats and scan to be sure. If not, do more fine tuning. If so, tighten the motor on the pole. :)
Thank you!!!!! I'll get up on the roof tomartom or Sunday. I'll let ya know how I fair.... Again, THANK YOU!

Thank you!!!!! I'll get up on the roof tomartom or Sunday. I'll let ya know how I fair.... Again, THANK YOU!
Forgot to mention something important. The u clamps that hold the motor to the pole have a tendency of wanting to walk down the pole while you are moving east/west looking for signal. This can be solved by adding this piece from Home Depot which gives the motor bracket something to rest on while adjusting.

YARDGARD 2-3/8 in. Adjustable Wood Adapter-328598C - The Home Depot

Here is a pic of how I used it to stabilize my 90cm with Stab HH100 rotor (click for full size). Simply bolt it to your pole just below the motor, level the bracket and tighten it down firm. Slide the motor bracket down and it will then rest on the metal ledge and not walk down the pole. :)

100_2395.JPG

Might not need mentioning, but use a cross pattern when tightening the U bolts and tighten JUST enough to hold in place. I have watched a nicely peaked signal start falling off when starting to tighten the U bolts. Adjusted order of tightening to keep signal peaked. Was using a SH200 meter so a little more sensitive than a receiver.

Aligning the dish with the HH motor is extremely critical with U-bolt type mount clamps. The reflector will not accurately track the arc unless the reflector AZ is in perfect alignment with the motor. I use a tapper screw to secure this alignment once it is aligned and tracking is confirmed.

Also, be sure that the motor is EXACTLY on the Zero centered position when performing a motor Reset. If the motor is in a different position when resetting, the center calculating position will be offset and incorrect!

A digital angle finder on a straight edge placed on the reflector's rim at the vertical axis (12 o'clock to 6 o'clock) plus the offset angle (27.3) will confirm the correct mount elevation scale setting.

Example: Place the dish mount on a plumb post. Calculate the dish declination elevation setting required for your latitude. If the calculated reflector elevation angle is 25 degrees, set the mount for the digital angle meter to display -2.3 degrees (27.3 - 25 = -2.3).

Set the motor latitude scale to match your latitude and the mount and align the reflector on the motor tube.

As a note for anyone else motorizing a GSP 1.2m, I would highly recommend a bottom loading motor design like the stab HH 120. Much easier to install!
Thank you for the info. I used your technique and it worked.... however, the inverted mount would not allow for enough elevation. Looks like I'm going to have to modify the mount and lose the micro-adjuster. I'm pretty sure my planned mod will cure the problem and allow me to use the elevation scale as it was designed. I'll post pics. I appreciate your help.

Forgot to mention something important. The u clamps that hold the motor to the pole have a tendency of wanting to walk down the pole while you are moving east/west looking for signal. This can be solved by adding this piece from Home Depot which gives the motor bracket something to rest on while adjusting.

YARDGARD 2-3/8 in. Adjustable Wood Adapter-328598C - The Home Depot

Here is a pic of how I used it to stabilize my 90cm with Stab HH100 rotor (click for full size). Simply bolt it to your pole just below the motor, level the bracket and tighten it down firm. Slide the motor bracket down and it will then rest on the metal ledge and not walk down the pole. :)

View attachment 131889

Hey, I was going to use a muffler clamp. But after seeing the pic........ I went to home Depot today and picked one up!
Looks almost like it was made for such a use. Lol.
I'm going to modify the mount and turn it into a top loading mount and cure the whole elevation problem. ( Can't get enough elevation out of it with the mount inverted). Then I will utalize the method you prescribed. Until you explained it, I had not really grasped the idea of using USALS to aid in alignment.
I'll post pics when I get it done.

Reactions: KE4EST and FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)