My u-verse install story....

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
After my dad died three years ago I moved my mom closer to me. When he was alive they both lived about 70 miles from me way down in the country. I love the country but I just couldn't leave her there alone after he died. I moved her in a house that I own that is about 5 minutes from me. I had TWC basic cable installed for her back then. Well after retiring I bundled her home phone, cable and internet with TWC trying to save a few bucks. Starting about 3 months ago nothing was reliable. The phone and internet would drop out frequently, tv would too sometimes, but not as frequently as the phone which was most important. Mom would call me on her cell phone complaining and asking for help. After 20+ calls to TWC and gosh I don't know about 10 visits from their techs over the past 3 months I gave up and had u-verse installed today. For the most part I am impressed. I am not completely sold on it though, there are a few issue when comparing my Dish subscription that I have here in the house my wife and I currently live in. The price is nice though. (We'll get to that a little later) The appointment for the u-verse install was set about 2 weeks ago for today between 9 and 11 am. Two installers much to my surprise showed up promptly at 9 a.m. The install took almost 3 hrs. They would put these paper disposable covers on their shoes every time they came in the house from outside. (Wow, never saw that before!) After they finished the install they did the customary instruction on how to use the dvrs that I have experienced with the Dish installers in the past. In comparing picture quality, the HD channels are on par with Dish but in my humble opinion SD channels with u-verse are not as good. The guides and menus are different but overall about the same. In overall quality the u-verse dvrs are clunky and cheap compared to my two 722k's and one 211k. Just my impression. The hard drive is smaller with no option to add an additional external hard drive. Comparing u-verse with Dish, I could go back and forth all day long. OK, here is where the rubber meets the road. I combined a cell phone, unlimited home phone, unlimited 12Mb down internet and the U450 tv package for what I am paying Dish by itself. In a few months u-verse will be available here where I live. I have not decided what to do about Dish. I may take the plunge and go with u-verse until Carol and I move to the country and then I will gladly be forced to sub to a satellite provider again.
I apologize for the long post but felt compelled to share my observations and opinions. Not very technical, sorry.​
By the way I put the entertainment center together today, reconnected a couple of battery backups and trimed the hedges. I know I need to get rid of a bunch of fingerprints.;)

Attachments

• 100_4364.JPG
    100_4364.JPG
    942.8 KB · Views: 255
  • 100_4368.JPG
    100_4368.JPG
    595.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 100_4371.JPG
    100_4371.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 100_4374.JPG
    100_4374.JPG
    557.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 100_4378.JPG
    100_4378.JPG
    567.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 100_4386.JPG
    100_4386.JPG
    784.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 100_4389.JPG
    100_4389.JPG
    589.7 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
One thing I forgot to mention is that att u-verse offers no customer support for configuring Outlook. I called their support yesterday who quickly transfered me to someone that wanted to charge me 30 dollars. I said no thanks and hung up. I called again and told the guy that my Outlook wasn't broken it just needed to be reconfigured. No Dice! I then told him maybe they could come and un-install this stuff.:eek::D He then directed me to their web site which has a tutorial on how to configure Outlook. Outlook/U-verse

When will U-verse be in the Melbourne Beach area?? I am trying to bring down my cable bill and also am trying to find out info. on Uvers versus direct tv and what it costs extra to have boxes/dvr's on 4 of my 8 tvs and then just have basic on the other 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)