My ViP 222 is a vampire?

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, I just got hooked up with DishNetwork and a ViP222. I noticed the unit is hot to the touch on the top and back even when it has been turned off for hours. Decided to check it using my digital multi meter and found it used almost the same amount of power when off and when getting used to watch HD channels.

Seems to me the unit should do a better job of saving energy when not in use. When I compare the power consumption to one of my computers the computer used just a bit more power when in use and running the HD but when the computer was put in standby it used much less power then the ViP 222.

Anybody else noticed the hot top when off on the ViP 222? Maybe I just got a defective unit or maybe it really is a vampire by design.

BTW - I put a thermometer on top last night and after being off all night I had 130F this morning before I turned it on. This just does not seem right to me.

Anybody know if this unit has an internal fan?

Thanks for any insight. DC

I cook breakfast on my on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I am pretty sure the heat this thing generates is what is causing my lock-ups when I watch TV more than about 4-5 hours. I've thought about a fan but I can't find one quiet enough so I can't hear it.

Hi all, I just got hooked up with DishNetwork and a ViP222. I noticed the unit is hot to the touch on the top and back even when it has been turned off for hours. Decided to check it using my digital multi meter and found it used almost the same amount of power when off and when getting used to watch HD channels.

Seems to me the unit should do a better job of saving energy when not in use. When I compare the power consumption to one of my computers the computer used just a bit more power when in use and running the HD but when the computer was put in standby it used much less power then the ViP 222.

Anybody else noticed the hot top when off on the ViP 222? Maybe I just got a defective unit or maybe it really is a vampire by design.

BTW - I put a thermometer on top last night and after being off all night I had 130F this morning before I turned it on. This just does not seem right to me.

I have a 622 and I can confirm the same behavior, power wise.

When computers are in standby, they are not technically running. They maintain memory state and cpu but that's all, no HDD, no peripherals. That's why they use much less energy. When a satellite receiver is in standby it is still on, updating the guide, looking for system updates if any are available and watching for shutoff codes (in case you didn't pay your bill)

Actually, 130F is a bit high for "ambient" temperature. Mine does get warm but I just keep it ventilated. It's in an open-type cabinet and I blow the dust bunnies out every few months. The 622 does have a fan in it but I don't know about the 222. I think the fan in the 622 cools the HDD and provides general air cooling to the chassis. If you're good with wiring you can use the USB port on the back to wire up a 120mm computer fan. it won't get the 12V it wants but 5V will get it turning. Should be enough to provide some ventilation while remaining quiet.

Hi all, thanks for the replies! You helped answer the question that Dish Network tech did not. It looks like my ViP 222 is working as designed. Tech decided to send a replacement receiver but I do not think it will make any difference.

I still think the thing is a vampire and could have been designed to use power more efficiently but we can leave that debate for another day.

Take care, DC

If you think it is using too much power, unplug it when not in use. You will have to give it an extra 5-10 minutes whenever you plug it back in to download software and guide info.

Hi garys and the group, I decided to try using an extra strip surge protector with a built in switch to conveniently turn the receiver completely off when not in use. So far it has been working quite well and helps cool things down.

I have a SR-15 UHF beam setup for the local HD digital channels and it is hooked up direct to my TV so I can get the local news without waiting for the satellite receiver to come up.

Something I'm curious about, do the DVR receivers also have to download the guide info each time they are completely powered off? Seems to me the DVR units should be able to save the guide to disk and should be able to boot up much faster.

Take care, DC

The DVRs do store the guide on the hard drive but if they're off for a few hours they'll still go out and download and update the stale guide information. Remember that Dish can change a guide entry for a few hours from now and it'll update instantly. I frequently find this with program descriptions where the title will be there but the description will change the day of the show.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts