My wife wants a new phone but dosnt want a data plan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well looks like my wife is going to upgrade to another non smart phone.She dosnt want to pay for a data plan so i will get her a GPS for her car so i dont need to give her directions all the time.:)
She will be calling you still, but this time because she can't figure how to use the GPS. :D

I was looking at that plan last month, but I would lose coverage in 2 rural area's I frequent on business, so I took advantage of a sale this morning and reupped my ATT with a new iphone 4s for $69. That simple mobile plan is very enticing though, if T-mobile has coverage in the area's you frequent.

I currently have a T-Mobile no-contract Wildfire S, their unlimited plan starts @$50/month and we only get 2G speeds here. The Simple Mobile might save money, but couldn't that same phone be used on AT&T if it was unlocked??

Just saw a commercial on TV for Straight Talk from Walmart.
It's unlimited talk, text, web, & 411 for $45 per month.
$45 + $45 = $90 per month, total. No taxes nor extra fees.

And if I'm not mistaken, they operate on the AT&T network, so coverage should be unchanged.
Might be worth confirming that's true in every market.

Not a lot of use if you just re-upped on your AT&T contract, though. - ;)
But maybe others will benefit from the knowledge.

I've been out of contract on AT&T here in Los Angeles for years, and all these alternatives are really getting my attention. - :up

Straight Talk's two android phones uses Sprint's network. The rest of their phones use AT&T.

Simple Mobile is a good option.
The only problem is finding an unlocked phone at a good price.
Getting any arbitrary AT&T phone unlocked would be problematic.
I was going to try an iPhone, which has a lot of unlocking support.
This is a combination that seems to work for many, according to what I've read.
(The broken iPhone I'm working on, was previously on T-Mobile subscription plan for the last year)

But if you find a used T-mobile phone in good condition, I think you're there.
The Simple Mobile sim just has a T-mobile serial number.
At least the one I ordered recently, comes back to being on the T-mobile network.
(haven't activate it to experiment just yet)

Last edited:
Getting any arbitrary AT&T phone unlocked would be problematic.
Nine out of ten European GSM phones are either sold unlocked or are unlocked after the term expires.
And most will work on AT&T network.

Diogen.

Straight Talk's two android phones uses Sprint's network. The rest of their phones use AT&T.
Well, that'd be a deal breaker for the OP of this thread.
Good to know, though.
I was thinking about getting one of 'em so I'd have an Android phone, and with the option of moving the sim to my iPhone (best of both worlds).
Now, I'll just go for the one phone that's known to carry an AT&T sim and be on the $45 everything plan.
Probably gonna order it up today.

My wife is going to wait to the beginning of next year now when the contract on her phone expires and then checkout straight talk! but she may still only get a non Angroid phone due to poor coverage in my area unless you use AT@T or Verizon.Today we go xmass shopping and hoping i can find a easy enough GPS for her to use so she dosnt have to call my directions help line anymore:D

Well she got her new GPS last night at walmart!Its a Magellan Roadmate 3120 with one free map upgrade.When we were at walmart she picked up a few straight talk pamplets to look at.

We got my wife an LG env3 which is a not so smart phone but has a nice simple phone dialer and clam shell design she can open to access e-mail and a very basic browser which she rarely uses. The plan for data is what Verizon calls it's basic e-mail plan which tops out at, I believe 250 or 500 Mb and is only $5/month. She rarely comes close to that and she does shoot pics and e-mails them with the phone. What she likes is the qwerty KB which is easy to use. I find it awkward due to not having a touch screen which I'm used to. For serious web surfing, she loves the ipad and we just upgraded her to LTE Mifi. While she does have built in GPS for our car, she has to rent cars often and the company won't pay extra for GPS so she has a Garman she is skilled at using. Only time I get a call is when she forgets to bring her charger and calls me to ask what to do. We now have enough 12 volt car chargers to have one in both cars and each suitcase for each device because she has purchased them on her trips.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)