My WISP is closing shop....

Dgenx321

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Calcutta, Ohio
So now I need to know, Wild Blue or Hughes Net??

I'm a heavy user and FAP scares me, but it looks like Huges offers 300mb a day compared to WB's 75 or so..

Whats the better of the two??

So now I need to know, Wild Blue or Hughes Net??

I'm a heavy user and FAP scares me, but it looks like Huges offers 300mb a day compared to WB's 75 or so..

Whats the better of the two??

I've know people with both systems. The HughesNet guy hits the FAP all the time. He hadn't used the computer all day, we fired it up and downloaded about 150 meg of pictures and boom FAP for the rest of the day.

The Wildblue customer I know has the lowest package and burns up the downloads and even watches a remote Slingbox for a few hours with it.

I remember when Dgenx321 stated how cheap the package was for the speed at the price that he had which was very cheap. I wondered how they could stay in business at that cheap of price for that kind of package. They were not charging enough or DSL/Cable went into part of their territory and took a lot of their customers.

or take a look at starband:

FAP thresholds are only monitored between the hours of 6:00am and 12:00am.

Nova Pro 1000 (1024/128)
Download Threshold (rolling 7 day period) - 1600 Mbytes
Download Recovery Rate - 150 Kbps
Download Exit threshold (rolling 7 day period) - 1024 Mbytes
Upload Threshold (rolling 7 day period) - 400 Mbytes
Upload Recovery Rate - 56 Kbps
Upload Exit threshold (rolling 7 day period) - 275 Mbytes

Nova Pro 1500 (1.5/256)
Download Threshold (rolling 7 day period) - 4000 Mbytes
Download Recovery Rate - 400 Kbps
Download Exit threshold (rolling 7 day period) - 2750 Mbytes
Upload Threshold (rolling 7 day period) -1000 Mbytes
Upload Recovery Rate - 96 Kbps
Upload Exit threshold (rolling 7 day period) - 700 Mbytes

And you can self install

or take a look at starband:

And you can self install

from the starband website faq

"It is an FCC requirement that a professional StarBand certified installer must install your system. Self-installations are NOT allowed. Because the dish antenna both receives from and transmits to the satellite, the installation must be very precise. If you are not a StarBand certified installer and you perform your own installation or even a portion of the installation, you will void any applicable installation and service warranty."

from the starband website faq

"It is an FCC requirement that a professional StarBand certified installer must install your system. Self-installations are NOT allowed. Because the dish antenna both receives from and transmits to the satellite, the installation must be very precise. If you are not a StarBand certified installer and you perform your own installation or even a portion of the installation, you will void any applicable installation and service warranty."

I think starband has an online certification that is FREE!!!:shocked
Or at least they did I remember going through it as a goof once. Also read the thread here about self installing starband and the horror stories.

thats stupid... just for fun i looked around through their FAQ on that installation certification page...

"4. Am I allowed to install the system myself?

No! Self-installations are not authorized and may result in the warranty being voided and additional costs incurred. Only affiliated and certified StarBand installers are authorized to install a StarBand system."

"1. How do I become a certified StarBand installer?

First, you must be affiliated with a StarBand partner installation company, a StarBand wholesale partner company or a StarBand Direct Dealer.

The StarBand partner installation companies are:

* Installs Inc. ([ installs ])

The StarBand wholesale partner companies are (authorized to sell and install StarBand):

* National Rural Telecommunications Cooperative (NRTC)
* US Online
"

So if they follow their own rules, every customer that does a self-install...
MUST be affiliated with StarBand in some way.

I have hundreds of customers that have done self installs. They go online, get certified and we support them during the entire process. We will even loan them a birdog meter if they want it. The horror stories come from folks that do not bother to get certified and do not purchase from a dealer willing to support them doing a self install. There is no reason someone that is comfortable with tools, computers and can follow a user installation guide can't install the system themselves.

All of it with Starbands blessing.

Well thankfully someone bought the wireless portion of the ISP and they are now keeping it open.

And still only charging $30.00 a month.

I canceled the Hughes Net install today...

That's great news. You will definitely not like satellite that well at all after having such great wireless service for such a great price. There was probably another company that made a deal with them or acquired their customers (merged to save costs a possibility).

Yes, that is pretty good speed for a WISP. A lot of WISPS are capable of this speed nowadays. The upload should be capable of a bit more than this but the only reason why this would make a difference is if you have a server or do a lot of uploading. Most people need downloading.

This compared to satellite - there is no comparison. This is much much faster than satellite and the ping times would be much better as well.