This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Mysterious ATSC 3.0 Signal, on Ch. 2, received in Carrollton, MO, on 6/28/2022

Route66Fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
Missouri
I caught this mysterious ATSC 3.0 Signal, on Ch. 2, using my HDHomerun Connect 4K & SDRPlay RSP1A, both of which use the same ChannelMaster outdoor antenna & amplifiers, in Carrollton, MO. The signal has weird program information. Does anybody here have any clue as to what ATSC 3.0 TV station I was receiving?

They are apparently low power and very directional.

I am 14 miles away with an outdoor antenna pointed at Lookout Mountain and I can't get a wiff of a signal. I can get all the other Denver ATSC 3.0 channels transmitting from the same location.

Probably a tropo event. It's the right time of the year for it. VHF-LO signals can carry pretty far.
Aah, tropo events. In my younger days living in Minneapolis there'd be a handful of summer nights when KTCA 2 was almost unwatchable due to co-channel interference, even with a rooftop antenna. IIRC, they'd even have a crawl going saying the poor picture quality wasn't their fault.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I’m not familiar with the SDR software that you are using, but the pilot carrier on 54.310 suggests to me that it is an ATSC 1.0 station. This is E-skip season and channel 2 is the best channel for sporadic E. Based on the distance for E-skip, I’d guess KJWP in Wilmington, DE.

Reactions: c-spand
I was able to get signal from santa barbera ,ca 444 miles south. Turns out when fog gets to the towers in that area it creates a big reflextion and signal only comes in then. And open rf channel there helps.

Reactions: Route66Fan
From what I've since found out, the signal that my HDHomerun Connect 4K was picking up was KBRO-LD, Fort Collins, CO, which broadcasts in ATSC 3.0. I did also briefly pick up KREX-TV, Grand Junction, CO (I forgot to mention that.), which does broadcast in ATSC 1.0, briefly just a few minutes, or so, before making that screen capture. The 2 signals were probably mixing, as both of them are on Ch. 2 (ATSC 1.0 signals have curves on both ends of their spectrum with a pilot signal, ATSC 3.0 signals have cliffs on both ends with no pilot signal. The cliff, on the left, was from KBRO-LD, the pilot signal, & possibly the rest of it, was from KREX-TV).

Last edited: