Mysterious ATSC 3.0 Signal, on Ch. 2, received in Carrollton, MO, on 6/28/2022

Route66Fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
Missouri
I caught this mysterious ATSC 3.0 Signal, on Ch. 2, using my HDHomerun Connect 4K & SDRPlay RSP1A, both of which use the same ChannelMaster outdoor antenna & amplifiers, in Carrollton, MO. The signal has weird program information. Does anybody here have any clue as to what ATSC 3.0 TV station I was receiving?
MysteryATSC3Signal.png

They are apparently low power and very directional.

I am 14 miles away with an outdoor antenna pointed at Lookout Mountain and I can't get a wiff of a signal. I can get all the other Denver ATSC 3.0 channels transmitting from the same location.

Probably a tropo event. It's the right time of the year for it. VHF-LO signals can carry pretty far.
Aah, tropo events. In my younger days living in Minneapolis there'd be a handful of summer nights when KTCA 2 was almost unwatchable due to co-channel interference, even with a rooftop antenna. IIRC, they'd even have a crawl going saying the poor picture quality wasn't their fault.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I caught this mysterious ATSC 3.0 Signal, on Ch. 2, using my HDHomerun Connect 4K & SDRPlay RSP1A, both of which use the same ChannelMaster outdoor antenna & amplifiers, in Carrollton, MO. The signal has weird program information. Does anybody here have any clue as to what ATSC 3.0 TV station I was receiving?
View attachment 157340
I’m not familiar with the SDR software that you are using, but the pilot carrier on 54.310 suggests to me that it is an ATSC 1.0 station. This is E-skip season and channel 2 is the best channel for sporadic E. Based on the distance for E-skip, I’d guess KJWP in Wilmington, DE.

Reactions: c-spand
I was able to get signal from santa barbera ,ca 444 miles south. Turns out when fog gets to the towers in that area it creates a big reflextion and signal only comes in then. And open rf channel there helps.

Reactions: Route66Fan
I’m not familiar with the SDR software that you are using, but the pilot carrier on 54.310 suggests to me that it is an ATSC 1.0 station. This is E-skip season and channel 2 is the best channel for sporadic E. Based on the distance for E-skip, I’d guess KJWP in Wilmington, DE.
From what I've since found out, the signal that my HDHomerun Connect 4K was picking up was KBRO-LD, Fort Collins, CO, which broadcasts in ATSC 3.0. I did also briefly pick up KREX-TV, Grand Junction, CO (I forgot to mention that.), which does broadcast in ATSC 1.0, briefly just a few minutes, or so, before making that screen capture. The 2 signals were probably mixing, as both of them are on Ch. 2 (ATSC 1.0 signals have curves on both ends of their spectrum with a pilot signal, ATSC 3.0 signals have cliffs on both ends with no pilot signal. The cliff, on the left, was from KBRO-LD, the pilot signal, & possibly the rest of it, was from KREX-TV).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)