n00b now with DVR questions

DaveInPhilly

Original poster
May 5, 2007
I'm sorry I figure this has to have been discussed before but a quick search didn't turn up anything.

I have the HD DVR receiver that feeds both my living room (HD) and my bedroom (non-HD). Last night it was set to record the Sopranos. When I went up stairs I wanted to catch the end of the evening news, but I couldn't change the channel without ending the recording. I was too lazy to go down stairs and check what was on the big TV, but does this sound right?

Is it not possible to watch one channel while recording another?

By default, Record Plus is enabled to TV2 (your bedroom). That's what happened. You can not watch a live program while recording another on the same TV (you can watch a recorded program). You can disable RC or set it to TV1. It really depends on your viewing habits/location.

Do you need to watch different programming at the same time on TV1 & TV2? If not, set your 622 into single mode. You can still use it on both TV's even at the same time, but you would always be watching the same thing on both TV's. This will make it easier to record a program and watch another, it gives you PIP as well. You just can't watch separate programming on the two TV's. You could also switch between Single & Dual mode as often as you wish. I hope this helps!

i'm sorry, but you were ripped off...your system setup should have included a full explanation of mode and recording/tuner settings

Do you need to watch different programming at the same time on TV1 & TV2? If not, set your 622 into single mode. You can still use it on both TV's even at the same time, but you would always be watching the same thing on both TV's. This will make it easier to record a program and watch another, it gives you PIP as well. You just can't watch separate programming on the two TV's. You could also switch between Single & Dual mode as often as you wish. I hope this helps!

This sounds like a viable alternative. Its just my wife and I, so its rare that we would be watching two different programs. How feasible is it to switch out of single mode though? Is it something I can do from TV2, or does it need to be done down at the box? And is it something I can do while the DVR has already started recording?

What I ended up doing the first time was just canceling the recording and setting to record one of the repeats, but could I have just switched to single mode?

Changing modes from dual mode to single mode is only done on the receiver itself. Next to the power button on the receiver there is a "Mode" button. Push this to change from single to dual mode and back to single.

Another option is to disable the "record plus" feature. This allows you to have two independent single tuner receivers. TV 1 would have the OTA tuner as well. Disadvantage, you would not be able to watch one live program while recording another live program at any one location.

Really it's just a matter of managing what tuner records when.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)