NAB/FCC Block HDTV SuperDish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Speculation:

They are not releasing the SuperDish to non LIL markets for fear the NAB would sue, and the FCC would take action against Echostar.

Dish is walking a very fine line when they are putting "unpopular" local channels on the wing slots. IF they were to release superdish to the general population now without the DPP4:4 switch they would not be able to provide all LIL channels to the subscribers in about every large market.

SuperDish seems to be SuperPlauged with problems... There appears to be a shortage of either the dish or the installers with LIL markets already reporting weeks/months lead time on installation after ordering.... Current satellite cannot cover the entire US... LIL channels dropped because of delays of the DPP4:4 switch... So big that mounting is not easy...

I suspect that the real issue is the DPP4:4 switch... I do not think Dish wants to risk the problems that would develope if people had to give up some LIL channels to get HD.

SuperDISH will be available to the general public on December 1st.

I was also told last night that the HD Channels on 105 will be turned on by December 3rd.

What is Dish going to do when the NAB hounds attack that their poor stations cannot get "equal" treatment on Dish with SuperDish? Maybe Dish is going to dance around the problem until DPP4:4 comes out? Probably would take a few months for the problem to work itself through the FCC.

The customer will have to make a choice for now if they want the additional HD Channels the SuperDISH makes available or if they want the Wing locals channels.

If the customer chooses the wing local channels they will continue to recieve the HD Channels they get today (til at least the time the DP+44 switch comes out)

I believe leaving the choice to the consumer is the correct approach.

I'm not a lawyer, but there's got to be a class action lawsuit in this super-dish mess, somewhere.

Why?

Your not required to upgrade to it if you don't want to.

Of course if you want the new HD Channels then you can upgrade if you want.

The problem seems to be unequal treatment of hdtv customers. Those that can't utilize the superdish because of their location will be missing out on hdtv channels that will be offered at 105 only. I suppose they can always switch providers.

Freddy said:
The problem seems to be unequal treatment of hdtv customers. Those that can't utilize the superdish because of their location will be missing out on hdtv channels that will be offered at 105 only. I suppose they can always switch providers.

Or they can be pationet and wait a couple of months for the new DPP4:4 switch. Besides their may not be any new HDTV channels on 105 that are not already on 61.5/148 until the DPP4:4 switch is ready anyway, which means they would not miss anything new by waiting for the SD and DP4:4.

Scott, did you hear of any new HD channels going to be added in December to the 105 slot?

I bought a 6000u (for $149) early in November and have been very happy with it. Looking forward to getting more HD content ASAP and hopefully my Milwaukee locals.

Thanks,

Tom

It is an issue:

Well Mr. Consumer, you can choose to have a seatbelt or headlights - your choice. Unfortunately you can't have both until we release an upgrade down the line.

Yes I know that it is obviously poor support to the argument because of the safety aspects, but the point about it being fair to have the consumer pick between two evils doesn't fly.

The same consumer that NEEDS their Dish local channels is probably the same consumer that can't get their HD channels via antenna or cable. Thus that consumer has to choose, do I want value from my HD investment or my local channels. Dish WILL face a lawsuit and at a minimum have to refund systems of people caught in the middle.

Its stupid. The fine print will be two pages long:
*Before purchasing Dish Network HD equipment please determine where you live. If you live in <list of zip codes> you cannot have HD beyond these 6 channels. If you live in <list of zip codes> you CAN have 15 HD channels, but only if you CHOOSE to not have your less popular local channels. Oh yeah, these restrictions go away when we A) fix the SuperDish and B) Make you purchase a $150 piece of equipment (yours for FREE if you commit to another year and pay CC autopay).

Chris

BudShark said:
It is an issue:

Well Mr. Consumer, you can choose to have a seatbelt or headlights - your choice. Unfortunately you can't have both until we release an upgrade down the line.

Yes I know that it is obviously poor support to the argument because of the safety aspects, but the point about it being fair to have the consumer pick between two evils doesn't fly.

The same consumer that NEEDS their Dish local channels is probably the same consumer that can't get their HD channels via antenna or cable. Thus that consumer has to choose, do I want value from my HD investment or my local channels. Dish WILL face a lawsuit and at a minimum have to refund systems of people caught in the middle.

Its stupid. The fine print will be two pages long:
*Before purchasing Dish Network HD equipment please determine where you live. If you live in <list of zip codes> you cannot have HD beyond these 6 channels. If you live in <list of zip codes> you CAN have 15 HD channels, but only if you CHOOSE to not have your less popular local channels. Oh yeah, these restrictions go away when we A) fix the SuperDish and B) Make you purchase a $150 piece of equipment (yours for FREE if you commit to another year and pay CC autopay).

Chris

Just to be argumentative,
So you think that D* should hold everything back until everyone can get everything. :)

BudShark said:

Considering that Charlie didn't even mention new high definition channels at the last Consumer and Retailer Chats and that DISH missed the boat on new receivers for the holiday season, it is highly probable that there will be no new HD channels before the DP+44 switch is released.

--- WCS

Freddy said:

I'm not much into lawsuits, but I have to agree in principle. Those of us who live in an area where superdish will not be available are going to be paying the same for an hdtv package as those who will receive more programming simply because superdish will work in their area. It seems to me that mirroring programming on the wings or on 110 is the "just" way to go.

Scott. Will clients in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands be able to get a signal from 105 using a bigger dish (5-6 feet)? We are getting HD programming now from the 110 and 61.5 birds.

Thanks,
splino

IN Nebraska, the only way to get PBS is from a Wing Sat (all other locals for Omaha are on the mains).

If you order the HDTV Superdish you cant get PBS until the new switch comes out.

I can wait myself, but PBS can not. They already almost did lawsuit over just being on the Wing sat.

Think what they will do when customers cant get it at all and they call requesting PBS.

They are not goning to be happy. I do not know if PBS can wait 1-3 Months. Its a matter of Principal for t hem.

It is required by law for Dish to provide that 61.5 satellite to you under must carry so if you were to have a SuperDish put up, then.....what can be done until next year when the new switch comes out?

Stargazer said:
It is required by law for Dish to provide that 61.5 satellite to you under must carry so if you were to have a SuperDish put up, then.....what can be done until next year when the new switch comes out?
DP-Legacy converter connected to output of DP34 to port 1 of a SW21 ...
Legacy LNB on Dish300 connected to port 2 ...
Output of SW21 to any receiver

Or mirror the PBS signal on 105 somewhere, JUST for HD subscribers for now.

JL

I wish they would mirror all the locals/HD channels from the wing sats to 105. Wife has already given her disapproval for 2 dishes on our fence. We get 2 PBS's here and one is on 61.5 along with the HBO-HD that we would like, but since it would require the second dish I can't do that. SuperDISH would solve that problem.

I dont see Dish Network moving those must carry locals from the 61.5 slot to the 105 slot, at least anytime soon. All channels including must carry will be on the same slot for those receiving the locals at 105.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)