TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Haven't heard anyone else talk about this yet so here goes-

I will be heading out to Las Vegas next Saturday for a week at National Association of Broadcasters convention. For those who have never been, it is different than CES in that it centers on mostly professional video equipment but for anyone, even consumers interested in quality video it is a better show than CES as there is lots of dealers and manufacturers there for lighting, audio and other stuff to support all types of camcorders. You'll get to see the pro and broadcast versions of those little camcorders you all buy at Circuit City.

My schedule is to arrive Saturday and sightsee the area Sunday. Monday night is the big Sony Party. Usually there are parties scheduled each night of the show but on Friday it tourist again. Not sure where my rental car will take me this year.

No offense, but I think I'd rather go to Vegas and play in traffic than go to anything associated with the National Association of Bullsh*tters. They are so anti-technology and progress. These schmucks tried to block the XM/Sirius merger (AND FAILED!!) and have been against cable television, recording equipment, and I'm sure are the reason as to why we are not fully in the HDTV age yet and are still dealing with one more year of analog. You may have to wear a helmet so that you don't get infected with "stupid," because it is obvious that it is contagious amongst them.

Obviously, you have no clue what goes on at the NAB convention.
The show is about TV production equipment and technology for professionals. It has nothing to do with politics or business mergers or even programming. If you hate cameras, high definition equipment, editing systems, lighting, and microphones, etc. then you need to stay away.
The meetings about NAB policy is another section of the show and is only attended by a very small group of NAB management types. Most of the attendees are people like me who come to the show to get hands on with the equipment, get bargains and discounts of show specials, and attend educational classes in their professional specialty. Plus, to mix with the industry leaders who make the programs we all enjoy. People with attitudes like yours about the political side of NAB are really not welcome. Amateur video producers and wedding videographers etc are also welcome as they are the people who feed the industry with new talent in the technology.

I'll be there, Don.

NAB is definitely A/V nerd's paradise--it's no CES, nor is Vegas as cool as Amsterdam (IBC), but it's still a fun locale for getting away and looking at the new toys and megatrends. Working hard for a Post Production company indeed has it's privileges ;).

Seriously, it'll be a packed schedule, between Autodesk user group/meetings (I'm a VFX/Compositor/Designer guy) on Sunday and two packed days on the show floor and private demos, Mon/Tues. Lots to see...even if there isn't a ginormous Apple booth there this year (going to be weird without those huge Apple displays fighting Avid for dominance at the floor entrance).

Curious if Scott or any of the other SatelliteGuys crew will be there?

Have a great time Don. I bet it will be a blast!

And let us know what cool places your rental car takes you this time. :)

I'll be staying at the C-C Manor. Love that location! Easy to get in and out and the rooms for same quality are half the price of others. Don't eat there, though.

Are you going to the Sony Party Monday?

Don't know what our engineers have cooked up for us. We're due to have a pow-wow Friday before the gang travels down for the show. Sony's party may be on the books.

We're at the Venetian, which is super nice and convenient.

But our favorite place to 'play' is the main floor of the Imperial Palace--super old school cheese, cheap table mins and a GREAT house band.

Mike- I would really like to connect with the Maverick Tours guys and do the Grand Canyon toward the end of the week. I'll have my new HD camcorder Sony HDR-SR12 and want to test it out on a good scenic chopper flight. If I don't do that I will try to get over to Bryce Canyon by car. All depends on the weather. My brain is telling me to do things my heart may not yet be up to. You know what I mean. Bryce can be a bit of a hike over rough terrain and I'll be going it alone.

Mike- I would really like to connect with the Maverick Tours guys and do the Grand Canyon toward the end of the week. I'll have my new HD camcorder Sony HDR-SR12 and want to test it out on a good scenic chopper flight. If I don't do that I will try to get over to Bryce Canyon by car. All depends on the weather. My brain is telling me to do things my heart may not yet be up to. You know what I mean. Bryce can be a bit of a hike over rough terrain and I'll be going it alone.

Then listen to your heart - and go for the Grand Canyon tour. Do Bryce NEXT year, when you have had even more time to recover fully. I bet a helicopter tour would be awesome; and what a great opportunity to test out the new HD camcorder.

And As someone who has hiked a in the southwest, I can't recommend hiking that stuff alone.

You'll have to pre register for the Sony Party as they close it out due to capacity.

Didn't know about the absence of Apple. That is strange. Maybe they aren't doing so well in the FCP division which is usually what is big for them at NAB. I have FCP and a MacbookPro but I'm not too keen on the program nor with some of the editors I have hired to use FCP. But there are many pros out there who get along fine with it.

Yeah... the Venetian is a bit too upper crust for my budget. :) Plus I don't gamble either so that part of Vegas doesn't interest me.

I plan to attend the Pin Ball Museum and try out the older machines. Looking forward to that. Heard about it from John Divorak at CES.

You are probably right, Mike. This would make my third trip with Maverick Tours. I really like their equipment. There are cheaper ones but you get what you pay for.

Oh yeah, the Pinball Museum! I've got to get over there, thanks for reminding me.

I'd heard of it a while back, then saw Dvorak's video podcast visit a couple of months ago. Very cool. I've become a big fan of classic Gottleib tables after getting hooked on the PSP videogame collection. I'd love to get a classic refurb for the basement den in our new house some day.

As for the Venetian--yeah, I sure wouldn't be there if the company wasn't paying (although I think they get an excellent group/pro rate). Only big hotel I've stayed in and paid full for was a bachelor's party excursion where we stayed at the MGM Grand...which is great. Classic, classy, good food. And we did pretty good on roulette and blackjack, so that was nice (paid for my room).

Status
Not open for further replies.