Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1688856,00.html

Katrina showed God was mad at America, says New Orleans mayor

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington
Wednesday January 18, 2006
The Guardian

The mayor of New Orleans, who excoriated the Bush administration for its indifference to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, was again involved in controversy yesterday when he said the disaster was a sign of God's wrath at America, and black Americans in particular.
"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," the mayor, Ray Nagin, said in a speech to mark Martin Luther King Day.

"Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretences. But surely he is upset at black America also."
The mayor went on to describe an imaginary conversation with King. "We are not taking care of ourselves. We are not taking care of our women, and we are not taking care of our children when you have a community where 70% of its children are being born to one parent."

Mr Nagin, who had never held public office before being elected mayor in 2002, has regularly attracted controversy since he was catapulted to national prominence with last August's hurricane.

He is seeking re-election in polls scheduled for April.

Criticised for his hesitation in ordering a mandatory evacuation of the city before Katrina made landfall, Mr Nagin lashed out at President George Bush and other government officials who descended on New Orleans in the aftermath of the storm, and compared the slow arrival of relief with the response to 9/11.

Yesterday there were calls for him to justify a promise to rebuild New Orleans as a "chocolate" city that some had seen as divisive in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about," he said.

Before Katrina devastated the city, New Orleans was predominantly African-American. However, while many African-American neighbourhoods remain uninhabitable after being severely affected by flooding, residents in white neighbourhoods have been allowed to return home Uptown and to the French Quarter, prompting fears that New Orleans will return as a largely white town.

"I don't care what people are saying Uptown or wherever they are. This city will be chocolate at the end of the day," Mr Nagin said.

"This city will be a majority African-American city. It's the way God wants it to be."

Seriously, this guy needs professional help......these comments were totally off the wall.

When I heard this, I almost spit the soda I was drinking all over my windshield.

God has his ways to make people find the good in things like this, but Nagin was given common sense to take care of those people in NO and didn't. I think he should be charged and tried like that couple in the nursing home that didn't evacuate the tenants there. No difference basically. With more than enough buses to help get people out and they just sit there. Shameful !!! Our leaders should be held accountable for there actions when they show negligence. His actions along with the governor caused lives that day. Also if I made a remark about it being a Vanilla City (Chocolate City to him), I would be called a racist and scorned for such a remark. Threaten and everything else. SOS as always.

I can't believe that he said that. It was on one of the local radio stations yesterday morning here in Austin. He was back-pedaling somewhat in today's comments on the same show.

Weird.

And my question is: why the heck can't we all just get along?

LER

LER, I agree. The sad truth of the matter is that leaders in his position just are not held accountable for what they say or do. I hope that the fine people of N.O. remember what happened, and who had the power to help them and didn't when election time rolls around.

Nagin isn't fit to hold public office, and the people of N.O. need to make him accountable for his comments and actions.

Last edited:
He deserves to be thrown out on his ear next election.
He's just not in touch with reality. MHO, FWIW. YMMV, etc.

LER

Pepper said:
I drank some Naginized milk last night. It was tasty. :D

Now this is funny!!

Nagin is an idiot for his comments! He does not speak for all Black people thank goodness!! He is in office for the money! He cares less for poor Blacks , whites, yellows, reds and browns! However he really likes greens! No i don't mean Mustard or Collard greens either!:hungry: I myself will say this i am worried about the
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]gentrification this can cause!!
[/FONT]

I think I said a long time ago he was an idiot. Now we know he is also off his rocker. Soon he will be siding with Louis Farrakhan claiming the government blew up the levees. Hey maybe God did that too?

Last edited:
In all consideration:(

The government screwed up and didnt properly maintain the levys.....

I think the GOVERNMENT should be on the hook to rebuild all the homes destroyed because of the screw up, at least for the poor, which are usually black. They lost the little they had.......

Now before you get your hair all frized at my comments I have a question.

If we accept the corps of engineers screwed up, and it certinally appears the levys werent maintained properly.

then the NEXT time our government makes a similiar mistake it might be you or me left to rot, losing our homes, and the feds will say too bad if they say anything at all...

ever notice homeowners policies dont include nuclear stuff? so a weapons plant has a bad day, makes a part of the country uninhabitible and you get zip, zero nada nothing. lots of possible disaters like this.

Feds will have the example of new orleans to just walk away:(

the money wasted in iraq should of rebuilt the gulf coast.

incidently I think the congressional election this fall will be a referendum on bush. The republicans will lose both houses of congress, Murtha is right, bush should withdraw.... now

Bob Haller said:

I think the GOVERNMENT should be on the hook to rebuild all the homes destroyed because of the screw up, at least for the poor, which are usually black. They lost the little they had.......

Now before you get your hair all frized at my comments I have a question.

If we accept the corps of engineers screwed up, and it certinally appears the levys werent maintained properly.

then the NEXT time our government makes a similiar mistake it might be you or me left to rot, losing our homes, and the feds will say too bad if they say anything at all...

ever notice homeowners policies dont include nuclear stuff? so a weapons plant has a bad day, makes a part of the country uninhabitible and you get zip, zero nada nothing. lots of possible disaters like this.

Feds will have the example of new orleans to just walk away:(

incidently I think the congressional election this fall will be a referendum on bush. The republicans will lose both houses of congress, Murtha is right, bush should withdraw.... now

AMEN!!:up

I recently met a Colonel who was in charge of Katrina cleanup. He told me in no uncertain terms that Nagin was an idiot and the Governor wasn't far behind him. I really despise it when people play the race card. It makes you wonder why they do that ... is the substance behind their words lacking? Reasonable minds could argue ... yes. I also dislike it when the Feds get the total bad rap and local government and State government gets a free pass. Makes you wonder if that would have been the case if the parties were turned around ....

Bob Haller said:

bob,
from all the news ive seen, most of the damage was in the 9th ward, so my question for you is, how do you rebuild a slum? and why would you? then what happens if a cat 5 hits in 2 more years, rebuild it again?? not with my tax dollars.

your last paragraph is wishful thinking at best, the GOP will not lose either house of congress.

and if freeing 27 million people from a despot is wasting money....well i guess freeing europe from the communists was wasting money as well.

dragon002 said:
bob,
from all the news ive seen, most of the damage was in the 9th ward, so my question for you is, how do you rebuild a slum? and why would you? then what happens if a cat 5 hits in 2 more years, rebuild it again?? not with my tax dollars.
your last paragraph is wishful thinking at best, the GOP will not lose either house of congress.
and if freeing 27 million people from a despot is wasting money....well i guess freeing europe from the communists was wasting money as well.

You're thinking too logically Dragon... You need to throw in some drama, fact misrepresentation and unbridled emotion. Then you would be representative of most of the liberal media and left-winged spinmeisters in this country. BTW, could you imagine the uproar if a republican made that "chocolate" statement or Hillary's "plantation" comment? They'd be marching on Washington !!!

side kick,

sorry i guess my down home GOP roots show too much.

know what really gets me?? indonesia, the tsunami,,,remember.
the resorts all had insurance as did the hotels and marinas. so we sent 3 BILLION over there to rebuild GRASS HUTS AND MUD AND TIN HOUSES!!! and they berate halliburton. give me a break.

dragon002 said:
bob,

Ahh so the corps of engineers does a bad job, and the 9th ward poor folks lose everything getting zip, 2 minor details, that will be considered racist, and the party in power will lose the black vote the next election.

9th ward should be rebuilt to good quality homes for thoise who want to return.

Yeah we got rid of Saddam, but there are LOTS of other bad leaders thruout the world. Are you suggesting we invade every country that we disagree with their policies?

So you think the GOP is secure:eek:

Obviously your not up to date with popular opinion. Since Iraq has showed no REAL progress, the country is in orrible shape and violence is increasing the public is tired of losing men and $$$ into a cesspool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)