Name Based Recording Coming to the 50x Series!

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Effective Tuesday, September 25th, Engineering plans to spool a PARTIAL
PHASE of software version P4.00 for the DP501/508/510 receiver.

* Name Based Recording - When setting a timer for an event, you can record
every time the event is on.

* Auto Checkswitch - Runs a check switch test automatically when an invalid
installation summary has been detected.

* XDS Support - Send information to an external device the same way Closed
Captioning is sent.

With XDS, an external device (i.e. PocketDISH) can be controlled by the
receiver for recording. The timer option will display as Auto/EXT or just
EXT for External Device.

OMG, I thought I'd never live to see this day.

HOLY BARKING SH$T!!!!

Are they ACTUALLY gonna spool it out? I have 2 501's and was inching towards getting the 722 mostly because of HD and NBR. If I get this, then the 722 can wait quite a while. I had a 522 for a stint..did not like it but loved the NBR..so went back to my old "trusties" - (2) 501's.

I AM SO FRICKIN ESTATIC NOW!! My ship is on the horizon!! Come to PAPA!!

When you say partial, are you speaking of limited number of recievers or just so many recievers per spool, then onto the next spool until all have been rolled out?

I just sold a 508 receiver. :( Looks like some 5xx receivers got it last week.

9/24/2007: 1535 Software Version P4.00 for DP501/508/510

Effective Tuesday, September 25th, Engineering plans to spool a PARTIAL PHASE of software version P4.00 for the DP501/508/510 receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.
At this time P3.69 and P4.00 will be the valid software versions for the DP501/508/510.

I have been thinking about getting a 622/722 but they're so EXPENSIVE!! I'm a tech agent at a Dish CSC in Texas and was thrilled when I saw the update for the s/w of the 501. No phone line fee, no DVR service fee, pretty sweet.

BTW...How exactly does the XDS work?? Will it enable the expansion port or will you have to use RCA for real time transfers?

The apocalypse must be upon us. I think this took as long to do as to upgrade my old 4700 to a 4900. Sometimes Dish gives new meaning to the term coming soon.

Now what about the 510's expansion port......:dev Lemme hook up a disk so I can move sd files to-from my 722.

Anyone think that the reason for the delay in NBR by years was mostly due to the pending patent infringement law suits with Forgernt and TiVo? Since Dish not only won the law suit last month brought by Forgert, but had the patent invalidated and Forgent was forced to pay for court costs due to the frivolous nature of the suit; and the fact that some see TiVo as having a much weaker case, Could Dish be telling TiVo where to put its settlement plans? :) I know this software was pretty much ready to over a year ago. The timing just seems too perfect.

See ya
Tony

Couple of comments. ( I have three 508's)

First, I don't think Dish owes us anything in the way of NBR. That they have put so much time and effort into adding it is surprising. Most companies would make you buy a new unit to get new features.

Second, I am not all that happy about this feature being added. My 508's were great untill the most recent updates, and as many others, I had problems with recordings after receiving them. In addition the fast forward/backwards is still not as smooth as it was before the updates. I am worried what this will do to the overall operation. Although certainly not often, since the last couple of updates all my units will freeze if I press the remote buttons too fast going from a recorded program to live programming. (I do reset my units after an update, and once in awhile when I think of it)

Third, how long before MPEG 2 will be obsolete - meaning the 5XX will be unusable? I thought it was about a year from now? Seems like alot of work for a unit that as I understand it will not be usable. (Hope I am wrong about this)

Great. Now I can store my "new and improved" 5xx reciviers along side my hardly used (and very broken) 8-track cassette player.

Why do I get this queasy feeling this is like learning that you are about get the "new and improved" enema, and you have no choice but to take it.

OH I'm betting that the announcement will come in your next bill: " Now that we have added the name based recording software to your 500 series of sat receivers , we will now charge the $5.98 dvr fee to cover the cost of the software. " I own a 501 that is being used by my Aunt in Arkansas. She won't know how to use this. IT took her forever to grasp the idea of the vcr way of recording with the 501.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)