Name Based Recording Coming to the 50x Series!

Mike1951

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 3, 2007
SE Texas
There is definitely an issue with some manual timers not showing up in the 'Schedule' or 'Program guide' and not executing. I had a tech make an incident report on it yesterday.

That same tech confirmed that, as far as he knew, there would never be a fee on the 508.

Mike

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
They'll probably only be useful for another 2 or 3 years anyway. MPEG-4 should be well on it's way intruding into SD by then.

cdoyle

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 25, 2005
Not really. Some are saying that now that the 5xx receivers have NBR, there will be an NBR fee.

There better not be a fee, that was the whole reason why I got a 508 was because of no fee.

If they add one, I'll just cancel my service with them.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
No fee. There is no NBR fee on any other STB, why would you think there would be one on the 50x series? Really, we have more important things to worry about. And more plausible ones.

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 7, 2005
Really looking forward to getting this. The 508 is hooked up to a TV that the kids watch mostly, so setting up "All Episodes - Save 2 episodes" of the shows they like to watch means I never have to worry about finding the shows. The channels like Disney, Cartoon Network, Nick, etc. always seem to move things around so timer-based recordings invariably fail after a few months. Maybe tonight I'll get it...

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Well, they've dumped it onto mine. I'd have preferred not to have gotten it, based on comments here. Oh well, we rarely record with it anymore anyway.

mfs54729

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls, WI.
Has this been rolled out to all receivers or is it still just a partial
roll out? I am still waiting to get this on my 510 receiver. My
receiver is shut off every night. Is there a way I can force a
download?

Mark

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Has this been rolled out to all receivers or is it still just a partial
roll out? I am still waiting to get this on my 510 receiver. My
receiver is shut off every night. Is there a way I can force a
download?

Mark

I don't think you want this update in your receiver. :) It's only on partial phase and there's been a lot problems with this update reported. P4.00 probably will not make it to all the 5xx receivers.

yooper.mi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 24, 2004
U.P. of MI
I have a 508 replacement that downloaded p400. It seems to work OK, have not had any problems so far. Wish it was on my three other 508s.

STDog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 25, 2007
I have a 508 replacement that downloaded p400. It seems to work OK, have not had any problems so far. Wish it was on my three other 508s.

Let us know how 4.01 works.

Looks like all IRDs with <=3.68 and the same series that got 4.00 are getting 4.01, but no new receivers.

Everyone with bugs from 4.00 please post results. Go back to through the issues, and undo changes you made trying to work around the bugs. Let see what they fixed and what they didn't.

phrelin

Jan 6, 2005
P401, NBR, and avoiding lost program endings

Let us know how 4.01 works.
Looks like all IRDs with <=3.68 and the same series that got 4.00 are getting 4.01, but no new receivers.
We kept our two 508's when we recently added a 722 for HD. Didn't get any updates on the 508's until last night when one was updated to P401 with the named-based-recording feature.

When I first used NBR on the 722 I immediately ran into scheduling issues - sometimes the guide provider just doesn't pick up odd program overruns leaving one without the ending of a program. The most recent I didn't expect was on SciFi's Stargate Atlantis. Also, it took me a long time to figure out the skipping feature which is simply scary. And watch out for those priority settings!

Of course, I'm a geezer who likes familiar, so with the 722 I just started using the "weekly" selection, adjusting things in the "timers" screen, and watching out for unplanned skips. My only exception is with Leno and Letterman where I just asked for 10 extra minutes and let it skip repeats.

The P401 update set my 508 timers (which didn't follow the exact program schedule start and/or stop times) to "MAN" or manual timers.

Then I needed a manual supplement for the 508 manual for NBR in case someone else in the family wanted to schedule something. Of course E* hasn't upgraded its oneline PDF manual. So I extracted the appropriate pages from the 522/625 manual. Since I know I'm not alone, I posted my "supplement" on my own web site at:

http://www.phrelin.com/tv/NBRTimers.pdf

FYI it is a 1.1 mb file. If you right click on the link above in IE and select "Save Target As" you can download it. On my cable connection it takes less than 5 seconds.

Mike1951

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 3, 2007
SE Texas
I had posted earlier about many timer issues with P400.

P401 installed either early Friday or Saturday. There was one stopped timer early Friday, so I'm not sure if it occured before or after P401 installed. Other than that, no problems since P401.

One oddity that I reported to DISH after keeping records on the issues I had was that 7 timers that were running in that time frame stopped at 05:11am and 2 more stopped at 05:12am. When you consider the odds of 1/720 minutes per day for each timer, the odds of 7 stopping at the exact time are astronomical.

It's too soon to proclaim P401 a success, but I'm definitely hopeful.

Mike

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
Many of the problems I was having with 4.00 were resolved by changing timers from "all" or "new" to weekly, then adjusting the start early times to zero and end late times as needed. The biggest problems were with "Brothers and Sisters" leading in to "Desparate Housewives". My wife was complaining about both of them going over the top of the hour at the end, losing about a minute or two for each. There should be a "start late" option for timers just as there is a "start early" option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)