Name Based Recording Coming to the 50x Series!

If the update would not adversely affect the stability of my receiver I wouldn't care. However with their track record just leave well enough alone.:rolleyes:

Ahh....well now you are on to something!

My favorite (NOT!) is when they (DISH) offer a software patch that looks like a lowly point release but in reality it is a total rewrite of the code to get around patent violations - and it toasts your DVR so that nothing works and then they pretend like they are not having issues with said DVR until you can corner them with evidence and many emails to ceo@echostar. ;)

I guess I didn't mention my 508's went into a box for 8 months (after the 3.6x series of "updates") so I know where y'all are coming from on this issue.

(Dish gave me a 625 to replace them. I just recently replaced my 301 with the 508 now that the rest of you have worked out the major bugs with the current 508 software...lol. Ok...I know that is just wrong to kid about!)

They could fix one gripe by allowing the options to also end a timer early. As I said, many of my shows are old movies and often have talk-fill for 5-25 minutes at the end. Relying on the timer starting at the correct time to catch the beginning of a movie is another thing. It often doesn't.

I just edit the times manually now. Is that not possible with the new software?

If I have consecutive timers, I cannot start them early without overriding the previous timer. Now I have to create a manual timer the length of all of the consecutive movies I want to record,
So, when you create a time from the guide now you cannot go back to the timers list and edit the start/end time, date, or frequency? I would often change the date to skip a show one week, but not forget to reset the timer later.

I have nothing against progress. My difference with most of you is that I don't consider this progress.
I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if it's progress or not. That's why I'm asking what the differences are. I have auto-updates off for now, because I have lot's to get on to DVD right now. Lot's of clips form old variety shows, where I
want a segment here and there, but currently have the whole 1/2 -1 hours show recorded. My 501 only has 5 hours free right now:eek:

The new options given allow you to start any given timer early by several increments and to extend the recording by any of several increments.

But you cannot edit the time directly, nor can you end a recording early.

You can edit other options like priority, frequency, etc.

Tomorrow morning I will have to try to tranfer six 'Crime Doctor'
movies which I had to record as a unit. I have maybe 10 hours free with more recordings scheduled, so I'm usually just a bit ahead of running out of room.

Mike

NBR seems to be working well for me now, if only Dish could get more accurate guide data. I have a timer set up for Law & Order CI on USA, but only want the new episodes. It worked OK for awhile until they started using generic episode data in the guide. My DVR went nuts and started recording every episode! I had to change the timer to weekly just to clean up all the events I didn't want. THAT is frustrating, and totally defeats the purpose of NBR!!

I recieved the 401 patch on my 508 about two weeks ago. A problem I am having now that never had before is that every 7-10 min the screen goes black for a split second while you can still hear the audio just fine. At first it did not bother me too much because I just thought it was the telecast. But now that has been happening for a couple weeks on all different times or channels, I am getting pretty annoyed by it. I plan on calling and complaining about it and see what they say. If they can't do anything about it and it keeps happening I will have to get a new receiver or new provider. I have been really happy with my 508 up until this new 401 patch so hopefully it is fixable.

new to the NBR party

I spent an hour looking for this thread and didn't find it because it was so old.
And no posts in the last 5 weeks...
I thought the NBR roll out was something in the last week or two. :rolleyes:
My 508 is on lock-down, and I don't permit firmware updates unless they're shoved down my throat.
(yea, Dish can do that)

I've been looking forward to this for many years, and was amazed when my box begged for update permission, to find out that it's NBR!

I've read through the whole thread, with all the angst on 4.00 and now apparently 4.01...
Is there something beyond 4.01 that might be attractive?
Or are they just getting around to 'the rest of us' ?

Has the skip-forward 30 seconds and skip-backward 10 seconds been screwed up by the TiVo lawsuit?

I spent an hour looking for this thread and didn't find it because it was so old.
And no posts in the last 5 weeks...
I thought the NBR roll out was something in the last week or two. :rolleyes:
My 508 is on lock-down, and I don't permit firmware updates unless they're shoved down my throat.
(yea, Dish can do that)

I've been looking forward to this for many years, and was amazed when my box begged for update permission, to find out that it's NBR!

I've read through the whole thread, with all the angst on 4.00 and now apparently 4.01...
Is there something beyond 4.01 that might be attractive?
Or are they just getting around to 'the rest of us' ?

Has the skip-forward 30 seconds and skip-backward 10 seconds been screwed up by the TiVo lawsuit?
I don't have a 5xx receiver, so I may not be able to answer specifically enough, but the TiVo Lawsuit has not affected the 722 or 625 yet, and no one has complained about a change.

Geoff

I just tried it on my 501 with 4.01 and it still works during normal live reception. (Obviously you can't skip forward farther than the live feed.) And I tried it recently on playback of recorded programs; that works as well.

bright light at end of the tunnel: a train?

Thank you both for your responses. - :up

I take it that most everyone with 4.01 is resolved to live with it, and it's not particularly buggy.
I have been waiting and wanting , but having lived through real crappy releases before, I'm quite willing to wait if necessary.

The company has had plenty of years to get NBR working right, so let's hope they don't need too many debugging passes to move it to the 5xx's.

- other input is most welcome -

Problems with NBR

I am still having problems with NBR software (version 4.01) on my 508. It keeps striking out my proposed recording as an incorrect program when they are not, and are in fact they are really the program I am trying to record. The problem is getting worse. I can tell it to restore the program and this usually works, but is a real pain, and the program may get deleted from the schedule again later; now two programs actually recorded a while back under the old system have disappeared altogether. When I first got this upgrade it appeared to work OK, but now has reached the point where it seems to strike out every scheduled recording as an incorrect program.

I called Dish a few weeks ago. They said it was a software problem and I would have to wait for the next software upgrade. Unacceptable crap.

The old software, without NBR, worked fine.

I am still having problems with NBR software (version 4.01) on my 508. It keeps striking out my proposed recording as an incorrect program when they are not, and are in fact they are really the program I am trying to record. The problem is getting worse. I can tell it to restore the program and this usually works, but is a real pain, and the program may get deleted from the schedule again later; now two programs actually recorded a while back under the old system have disappeared altogether. When I first got this upgrade it appeared to work OK, but now has reached the point where it seems to strike out every scheduled recording as an incorrect program.

I called Dish a few weeks ago. They said it was a software problem and I would have to wait for the next software upgrade. Unacceptable crap.

The old software, without NBR, worked fine.

Are you sure that you are not selecting only new episodes? If you select all episodes you will get every show for the particular show on any channel.

Only new will give you the 'X' when you are looking at the schedule.

No, I am selecting weekly - for shows I want to record on a regular basis, and the times the programs are showing are consistent from week to week. New shows only is not what I am scheduling. The NBR part is just not able to understand it is the same series for some reason. In other words, the NPR part is kicking in and deleting scheduled recordings when it should not.

As to the deletion of the programs that were actually recorded before the new software was downloaded. no idea what happened there.

Is there anyway to go back to the old software (3.63 or whatever). It worked on weekly recordings and others. The CSR checked with someone else, and then came back about 5 minutes later and said it was a known software problem, but if others are not having this problem, then?? maybe just a kiss off to get rid of me.

Last edited:
.... The CSR checked with someone else, and then came back about 5 minutes later and said it was a known software problem, but if others are not having this problem, then?? maybe just a kiss off to get rid of me.

I think a lot of people are not that observant.
Many think it's their fault for not understanding the PVR firmware.
Others, just don't report things here on SatGuy's

The only drastic thing I can think to do, is to clear your recordings, and do a full master reset to the PVR .
I forget how, you'll have to look it up, but when you do, it'll probably flush all your timers, too.
That should get you off to a clean start.

Meanwhile, I'm content to read the comments and keep my old 3.-something firmware safe! :)

Yooper

I changed to that (0 and 0) earlier as my default when I was having some overlap problems with 2 back to back shows. If anything, the current problem got even worse after that as now all items scheduled for weekly recording get deleted.

PS. Is there a user's guide for this software crap. I can not find one.

Thanks for the guide citation

Still having the same problem. My biggest mistake may have been deleting the weekly timers I had already set up with the old software when I was having some problems and redoing them all with the new software. Now they all are incorrectly showing "incorrect event" and deleting scheduled recordings.

I emailed ceo@dishnetwork, but all I got was a email response from customer service and it, to the extent it said anything, also seemed to be blaming it on the 4.01 software. Not an acceptable solution to have to wait more weeks for an upgrade that may or may not work.

I never had this problem with the old software. I also have had a replay unit for 6 years which has always had NBR, with no issues, so it can be done if the company knows what they are doing..

Another issue has developed with the software. Sometimes when I try to record, the software adds another 60 minutes to the end of the recording time even for non sporting events. (in fact it may or may not add this for sporting events although the guide says it does). When I go into options and change back to 0 minutes (also my default), save it and then go back to the timer screen it still shows 60 minutes so the software is not working properly here either. This appears to occur mainly when I try to record from the results of the search screen something I did often with the old software.. In fact, that may also be the problem mostly with the erroneous "incorrect program" message reported earlier.

When I called in to CS, they said it was a receiver issue and offered to send me a new one. The problems with that is (1) the problems sure appear to be buggy software (2) no problems with the old software on this receiver and (3) Dish has not made my 508 receiver for a long time so I am pretty sure I would get a refurbished one not a brand new one although the CS representative insisted otherwise. I declined the offer because of these concerns.

Since my annual billing is Jan 24, I have switched to monthly billing because of these issues, and hope the software problems get fixed real soon. We should not have to be beta testers for DISH software.

Anyone got any comments on the new software? P403 is rolling out.
P402 never went to everyone, so I wonder what's been worked on with those two releases.

I received p4.03 on both of my 508's this morning. I did notice that the problem with DishPASS not working correctly has been resolved (not searching all channels), it seems to be working just fine now.

I have not discovered any other changes yet!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)