Name based recording question

drock85

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Hi,
I have a question about the new NBR feature on the dish 522. I was wondering I know that you can set the dish to record new episodes of a certain show and skip the reruns. But I was wondering if you want to record a show that's been in syndication (for example the Andy Griffith show) will the receiver know that I already have episode 105 saved on my DVR and skip that episode the next time that it's on or will it record it no matter what?

drock85 said:
Hi,
I have a question about the new NBR feature on the dish 522. I was wondering I know that you can set the dish to record new episodes of a certain show and skip the reruns. But I was wondering if you want to record a show that's been in syndication (for example the Andy Griffith show) will the receiver know that I already have episode 105 saved on my DVR and skip that episode the next time that it's on or will it record it no matter what?

If you select All Episodes and the same event airs twice in the same day, one will be skipped automatically. For instance, the same episode of Andy Griffith appears on TV Land each day at 3 and 8 PM CT. It would not record both. As far as an event recording at some point in the past (ie, days or weeks in the past), I've never tested it to see if it looks at ALL events recorded.

Ok,
That's cool that it remembers that. Does anyone know if it remembers what you have on your DVR more then a week or two back? See I like the show CSI and I haven't seen to many of the early episodes of show. And I was going to have the Dish record the reruns on Spike tv. But I didn't want to have the same episode recorded twice on the dish.

drock85 said:
Ok,
That's cool that it remembers that. Does anyone know if it remembers what you have on your DVR more then a week or two back? See I like the show CSI and I haven't seen to many of the early episodes of show. And I was going to have the Dish record the reruns on Spike tv. But I didn't want to have the same episode recorded twice on the dish.

You might run into a separate issue there in that it's also a different channel. I don't know if a regular timer would check for the same episode if it was recorded on a different channel. Of course, it's not THAT hard to just manually delete it if it does.

chaddux said:
You might run into a separate issue there in that it's also a different channel. I don't know if a regular timer would check for the same episode if it was recorded on a different channel. Of course, it's not THAT hard to just manually delete it if it does.

Yeah that's true. I was just curious to know if it was possible. That's still cool that it will record only new episodes of something if you wanted it to.

As long as the show on your box has a description, it'll look at that and not record the new(er) show. I know this cause MTV and VH1 always play shows over and over... it'll record one and skip the rest.
As far as the same show being on different channels, I don't know. It *should* though.

jbcheshire said:
Is the NBR on the 508 yet? I am about to get one and was curious.

It was supposed to be in February. It never came about and has been pushed back until the summer. When summer arrives, it will be pushed back until the winter. When winter arrives, it will be pushed back until the summer.

Repeat as needed. Stir occasionally on low heat. Remove when NBR noodles are soft.

Back in the mid-80s, Digital Equipment would announce (tongue-in-cheek) new OS version availability by stating, "version x.y will be out in time to go skiing" and we would then have to ask whether it would be on "snow" or "water". Once, after DEC missed a ship date, they said, "Well, we didn't say which hemisphere!" :)

When the 508 gets NBR that about the time Dish will decide to start charging 508 owners a DVR fee.
Maybe No NBR is a good thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)