Name Based Recording Screenshots

^^ I'm guessing you would just select "New Episodes" (which looks like it really means episodes dated this year - i.e. it uses the date information in the program guide info. to determine this), and delete any episodes you've already seen. I don't think that episodes in syndication on channels other than FOX would be from this year yet ?

TiVo uses the "New" tag in the program guide info. to determine New Episodes - but it's not always accurate. Maybe future software upgrades on the 522 will use that?

I just so happened to have noticed something last night... I looked at the program discription for King of Queens - 9PM - CBS - and at the end of the description it said NEW... which either is a new thing or I never noticed it before....

doogie said:
I just so happened to have noticed something last night... I looked at the program discription for King of Queens - 9PM - CBS - and at the end of the description it said NEW... which either is a new thing or I never noticed it before....

You never noticed it before because I have always seen that.

Yeah it's always said "new" on the actual new episodes of all shows. I see it all the time. Problem is, the 522's version of 'new' is episodes that are from the current season. When I tried the Simpsons, it brought up about half of the syndicated episodes that are not from this season (they show 2 eps per day here). So to me, it's pretty useless...

I think there is a way to work it all out, but I just havnen't had time to mess with it all. Where's that Dish video at?
I can't be recording everything under the sun cause I have my HD full of movies I haven't transferred to tape yet (no tape or time!). That's why I'm kinda selective as to what it records for me.

Tell me about that I have about 25 hours on my 522 currently and after creating all the Dish Passes last night to replace the old timers I looked at the schedule listing and it said there were 117 timers that for 8 days with almost everything being 1 hour long 100 hours on the hard drive wont last long or else I will be deleting alot of re-runs that I don't care to watch again. One thing I would really like to find out is if the unit will record every episode with the option set to all or will it skip the episodes that are already recorded on the hard drive. What would be even better would be to use the recording history like Tivo does and skip episodes that have been recorded within the last 28 day or so. There are several shows I like to watch that have multiple showing every week at different times and I really do not need 4 or 5 recording of the same episode. New would be ok if all current season shows were listed as new however from what I have seen only episodes that are aired for the first time are marked New so the current season re-runs would be excluded also.

It says it won't record shows that are already in your DVR list, or there's a timer set already.

That will help some but a history feature stopping episodes that have been recorded in the last month would be better. Maybe this is something we should tell the 522 suport team (Hint Hint)

Bizzach said:
It says it won't record shows that are already in your DVR list, or there's a timer set already.
But it does.

I set a dish pass for futurama and it wanted to record the show at 10 and at 2am or whenever the two showings are a day. Both of those are the same episode.

I already had a manual timer for the 10pm showing so it was automatically adding the 10pm one as "skipped" but it was set to record the 2am one later that night.

Maybe if I DIDN'T have the manual timer set, it would have worked as advertised. i.e. maybe when it decides if it is already set to record that particular episode, it only considers the timer it is deciding for and doesn't consider that you might have other timers which are recording that episode.

speedyox said:
But it does.

I already had a manual timer for the 10pm showing so it was automatically adding the 10pm one as "skipped" but it was set to record the 2am one later that night.
It did just what they said it would, it skipped creating a timer for the 10pm manual timer you had set. You did not have one set for 2am so it made one.

Well, I've had NBR all day, and I already have a problem. For shows that I had timers set for today, the name in the DVR list was not for the show that recorded, but the show that was before it.

For instance, I recorded a CSI at 7:00. The buffer time started in 1 minute early, during Wheel of Fortune, and DVR listed it as Wheel of Fortune, not CSI.

These were timers that were set before the new software came in. It did not happen with the one show I set up this morning using DISH PASS.

n0qcu said:
It did just what they said it would, it skipped creating a timer for the 10pm manual timer you had set. You did not have one set for 2am so it made one.

But it is recording the SAME episode twice. But I've figured it out since then. It works fine if you first delete your manual timer and then make the pass. Then the Pass timer records the 10pm show and skips the 2am show.

Most, if not all, guide data includes flags for -new- or -repeat- episodes. If it's not accurate, even a TiVo can't do anything about that. It will record an episode marked -new- even if it's 5 years old. This is the most basic functionality of choosing what episodes to record, be it only new ones or all episodes. Even given Dish's history with software, I can't imagine them getting this wrong. Are there bugs in it ?? Maybe... Does it need tweaking ?? Heh, almost all software does. :)

In regards to the sorting - I hope they can add permanent name-based sorting (or any of the other methods for that matter) to the PVR events list. I am used to the channels the way they are now, though I will probably swap the order whenever I finally remember to do it. :)

Brad

I love the NBR. I put in "UFO" and it found about 10 shows (mainly on late at night). Thank you DISH for adding this to the 522.

Now...just give me a HD DVR for lease and I'll be all set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)