Name That Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

melgarga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2008
SE Texas
I think this might be kinda fun, and informative as well, at least for us active dishhunters.
I would think nothing would be out of bounds, as long as it is parabolic in shape. All Buds of course, all variants of Primestars, StarChoice, SAT- IP units, commercial setups, all the various True FTA [TFTA] antennae, etc virtually everything except for the obvious DVB pizza pans. The newer multi-lnb units are looking big enough to possible use for TFTA though, with a linear refit of course.
So here's my entry.

EDIT - Attachments showed to U/L but arent here. ???? Will try to figure what's up after work
Anyway yall get the idea. Start posting those pics of your unknown dishes.
RE-Edit - I love Opera but it has issues u'l ing.
Don't that lnb look like something that fell off of Buck Rogers spaceship?

Attachments

• Nec2.jpg
    Nec2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 214
  • Nec5.jpg
    Nec5.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Nec11.jpg
    Nec11.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
No, it was a freebie. It's from an out of business industrial equipment vendor's property that is owned by another vendor now. When I asked about it the recep/OP asked me how much I wanted to remove it! The pole stayed, it's an 8" I think, even bigger than a Birdview pole. I have no clue what it was for, but the lnb is HEAVY, prolly a transmitter as well. I've not tried to Goggle the #'s on it yet. I'm no expert on what's all out there by any means, but it's definately an odd looking birdcatcher to me too. I've got more pics of the AZ/EL side if needed, but I'll have to switch browsers. I love Opera, but have always had issues when u'l ing.

I think this might be kinda fun, and informative as well, at least for us active dishhunters.
I would think nothing would be out of bounds, as long as it is parabolic in shape. All Buds of course, all variants of Primestars, StarChoice, SAT- IP units, commercial setups, all the various True FTA [TFTA] antennae, etc virtually everything except for the obvious DVB pizza pans. The newer multi-lnb units are looking big enough to possible use for TFTA though, with a linear refit of course.
So here's my entry.

EDIT - Attachments showed to U/L but arent here. ???? Will try to figure what's up after work
Anyway yall get the idea. Start posting those pics of your unknown dishes.
RE-Edit - I love Opera but it has issues u'l ing.
Don't that lnb look like something that fell off of Buck Rogers spaceship?

That NEC NEXTAR lnb is an Ku-Band 14GHz Up 12GHz Down transmitter/receiver. I doubt it's usability for FTA. I think it was used for early broad-band direct internet connection.

Considering it's source, I knew it wasnt a sat-tv setup, and figured it was tx/rx based on the heavy-duty/heatsink construction of the lnb. My real interest was the parabol. It's double sided stamped aluminum, about 50 lbs worth. I picked up an 8 1/2 ft solid spun aluminum guy last year and it dont have much on this one when it comes to weight. Motorizing would likely get expensive, so I'm thinking a C band unit where the Nextar is and AZ/EL'd for a W5/DSR410 setup. Might be a nice combo.
AS for the rest, I know,maybe I'll put the Nexstar on the roof of my van w/a hand rotor and use it to jam cell phones of idjits that cant master driving and talking on the phone at the same time.........maybe enough broadband MW energy to overload the front end of the phone?.......hehehehe
Thanks to you guys for chimeing in.
I'd love to see some more dish 'oddities' out there.

Actually, that lnb hits the "X Band" frequencies, so you probably could use it to jam cop radar, hint, hint... :D:D.

It sure would look impressive glued to the side window of your car, as your driving down the road!!

Actually, that lnb hits the "X Band" frequencies, so you probably could use it to jam cop radar, hint, hint... :D:D.

It sure would look impressive glued to the side window of your car, as your driving down the road!!
LMAO! Yeah it would. Put it on a clip and hang it on the window like the old Vascar units, but all those peep that get their detectors fried in the process might get upset. I'll bet you remember that "radar calibrator" in PE I think it was, back in the day. Now if we could just do the same on the laser band............

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)