NASA TV is moving

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's it Tron, at least can watch thistv on the same dish (if I decide I ever want to) and some horse racing feeds sometimes.

Hmmmm... I wonder what the chances of hitting 87 and 91 on the same dish are? That combo would certainly be worth a fixed dish...

well I did 99/103 a long time ago (before they put a C-Band sat at 105 which hindered reception on 103)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/92274-2-c-band-lnbs-one-6-dish.html

you have to cut the scaler ring but it works.

Also did 99/91 a while back too
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/147673-2-c-band-lnbs-6-foot-dish.html

no cutting there.

I would do boresight 87 and add 91 to the side...unless NASA is going to be very strong signal (hoping) ;)

SIGNAL on

I scanned 87 cband just now and found a NASA feed but the pids don't match what was listed:
3727 V 4168
v255 a257 pcr 254

I may have the H and V reversed here, using GI650 analog to switch polarity and move my big dish.....
only this one channel so far but I only scanned to 4000 or so and quit.
Looking for something else right now.

edit : This is coverage of Russian space program, 26min away from launch of Soyuz space vehicle.
328PM Cent
2ND EDIT: I believe this was actually one of the Associated Press' feed channels=it's gone now. 837pm

Last edited:
Iceberg, sounds like I may need to buy a sawzall, for a variety of projects I'm fumbling around. 87W/91W really looks like I'd be getting my money's worth out of the SD128G :) ...

Come to think of it, 83W/87W would be another winner, but I won't speak too much about that in open forum ;) ...

Haven't moved PortaBUD yet... I'll do so when they establish the mux on 87W (hopefully they will do so sometime in the very near future...)

maybe this week

Highly unlikely they'd wait until the 16th unless the AMC6 mux is staying up until the end of month

Unable to find AMC-3 NASA TV

Greetings,

I am hoping someone can share an easy way to find AMC-3 to get to the new NASA TV location. I'm doing a blind search with a GI 450 with a Wegener Unity 4600 and cannot get the feed to lock in. I have found the Shepard's Channel and going click a a time towards where I think AMC-3 is but I just can't find another sat landmark to indicate I'm near. Any tips are greatly appreciated--I'm trying to get this for our school district's 8th grade science clubs and they are begging for their NASA TV.

Sincerely,

OPIE Bear

Greetings,

I am hoping someone can share an easy way to find AMC-3 to get to the new NASA TV location. I'm doing a blind search with a GI 450 with a Wegener Unity 4600 and cannot get the feed to lock in. I have found the Shepard's Channel and going click a a time towards where I think AMC-3 is but I just can't find another sat landmark to indicate I'm near. Any tips are greatly appreciated--I'm trying to get this for our school district's 8th grade science clubs and they are begging for their NASA TV.

Sincerely,

OPIE Bear

Shepard's channel is on G16 at 99 deg. From your GI450, find out the click count at 99, then put the receiver on channel 10, and move east. If you can, switch it to horizontal polarity. If you have T4's position saved, it might help to tell the dish to move there. Anyway, G28, is at 89 deg, which is where T4 used to be. On channel 10 on G28 there is a HUD government transponder with a slate up. You should be able to find that. Find out the click count there, and subtract to get the difference. Divide that difference by 10 deg and multiply by 2, and that will give you the additional counts that you need to go east to get to AMC3 at 87.

OR.... the EASY way... if you happen to be at the receiver right now.....
Go to channel 3. There is an analog signal up right now on channel 3 on AMC3. Looks like a view of the NASDAQ building in NYC. Probably won't be up for long though, but maybe until the market closes.

Opie:

how big is your dish? I have a 10 footer in Central Mexico and get a solid quality signal on NASA. On that sat I've found that the TVU channel has the strongest signal (comes at a cool 97% quality), maybe you oughta try to lock in that channel first and the try to find NASA. What I would recommend is to do a manual scan instead of a blind scan at first, so you can find AMC 3

Well, that analog NASDAQ channel went away about 2 minutes after I responded, so that's no longer available.
I agree with John's response that you shouldn't be doing a blind scan, however the NASA signal is pretty easy to lock. You might as well just set your digital receiver on the NASA parameters, unless you're unsure about how to enter them.
So I'd recommend first looking for the HUD channel, then go for either the NASA channel or the one John recommended while moving east a bit at a time, but make sure you're on the proper horizontal polarity, which you should be if you've found HUD.

Well the NASDAQ analog went away, but now there is a test pattern analog, also on channel 3. So give that a try again. Looks like channel 3 analog is a good place to look for an analog newsfeed to find that sat.

EDIT: The test pattern turned into a 16:30-16:45 interview slate with some Rep. Gordon (whoever that is).
Also, I just noticed that NASA TV is SO STRONG, that I'm picking it up even while tuned to the HUD slate on G28. So if you find the HUD slate, you should be able to then just peak on the NASA-TV signal right from there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...I found the HUD site. This is great!!! The future scientists and engineers offer a million thank you's!!! I'm gonna keep trying, now I feel
like I'm almost there.

opie I have 2 of those GI receivers, on mine, with a 10' the "position" count between satellites is a difference of about 15-20 (the count that is displayed "MOVING MOTOR TO XX AT 5678,etc")
The count probably is dependent on the type of actuator but that might give you a hint. What I usually do is find a digital channel on a satellite close by, then locate one I want to get on the new satellite and tune the fta rec to that channel. Then move the big dish with the GI remote until I see signal on the fta box. On my GI Anywhere remote, its Menu, 6-3-5 , then the right or left arrows.

It was on KU band . Dishnetwork just took it off as free/clear.. WHY?? who knows.. and.. they took Angel 262 off as well. No free channels on D.N. ...IMOP. they suck.. ION as well..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)