Nascar Hot Pass

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ericc

Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Anyone have this package this past year? What are your thoughts on it? Is it worth getting? I'm a big Dale Jr fan. I'm seriously thinking about getting it for the promotional price of $40 for 2008 whenever they offer this deal. Let me know. Thanks!

Anyone have this package this past year? What are your thoughts on it? Is it worth getting? I'm a big Dale Jr fan. I'm seriously thinking about getting it for the promotional price of $40 for 2008 whenever they offer this deal. Let me know. Thanks!

For $ 40 bucks you can't go wrong, I think it was $ 100 last year, that was NOT a good deal.

Jimbo

Dumb question alert. I am interested in this as well if the price is right. The question I have - is this package broadcast in HD? I don't see it advertised as Hotpass HD or anything like that. If it isn't in HD - no sense in purchasing.

Actually,IMO the only thing you will gain if it is in HD is the 16:9 screen. With Hot Pass the screen is split three or four ways anyway, with a ticker running across the top. I guess it might be a little sharper, in the end.

Oh yeah, I think they have said it will be in HD next year on dBSforums, but only four drivers. And in lieu of the other two or so drivers, there will be many audio channels available of the other drivers.

Also please remember that there still will be commercials, you are NOT buying a commercial free pass. Also your favorite driver will be bleeped when he utters an expletive.

So, IMO, its kind of a Luke-Warm Pass, not a HOT Pass...:)

YMMV. ;)

the $40 promotion is for new directv customers only. if you go to directv.com to sign up for hot pass, its definitely more money.

the $40 promotion is for new directv customers only. if you go to directv.com to sign up for hot pass, its definitely more money.

Thanks for clearing that up Ice , I knew I saw it for that price somewhere , but it was not when I looked at it again.

Jimbo

Actually,IMO the only thing you will gain if it is in HD is the 16:9 screen. With Hot Pass the screen is split three or four ways anyway, with a ticker running across the top. I guess it might be a little sharper, in the end.

Oh yeah, I think they have said it will be in HD next year on dBSforums, but only four drivers. And in lieu of the other two or so drivers, there will be many audio channels available of the other drivers.

Also please remember that there still will be commercials, you are NOT buying a commercial free pass. Also your favorite driver will be bleeped when he utters an expletive.

So, IMO, its kind of a Luke-Warm Pass, not a HOT Pass...:)

YMMV. ;)

#1 on the driver/team audio nothing is bleeped out. It was for the first few races but then changed. #2 I watched most of the races on Hotpass last year and again after the first few races changes were made and I listened to ZERO commercials for the entire race as I only chose audio from the car/team audio. You have the choice of car/team/network audio. If you don't listen to network audio then bingo no commercial audio. My cost to renew is only $84 and I think it's a great deal for the money. :)

What ArtWIS said,

I became so frustrated in the 2nd half of the season with ESPN, I signed up.

You watch whichever driver you want that they are offering. Dedicated announcing team for each driver, IMO better than the networks.

NO "cleaning up" of the team audio. You can see the network feed, You can choose to either listen to: Team audio only, Driver broadcast team with team audio, Network audio .

YES there are commercial breaks on the drivers channel, but the actual number is about 1/3 of the network broadcast. When they come on I also switched the audio to team only. This usually occurs during cautions and that's when the best team audio can be heard.

Next year it will be in HD. at $84.00 to renew it IS a great deal. I don't sub to any other sports package so for me it's a deal.

I had it last year. I believe it renews for existing customers at $84 for the year.

Pros:

-Separate audio feeds. You can listen to the national coverage, the team's audio or the assigned driver announcer. Word is they will add more feeds (that aren't in the video coverage) this year.

-Perspective. It's neat to see the camera fixated on a particular driver.

-Fan aspect. If you like a driver featured, it makes it more fun to watch their progress.

Cons:

-It was standard def last year. Pro: going to be HD this year.

-Fun wears off. After the first 5-6 races, the novelty wore off and it became mundane to watch the HotPass channels.

Bottom line?

If you like NASCAR, or even if you don't, it really is a different perspective on the race. You aren't locked into the big picture on the national feed. If it was still in standard def, I wouldn't renew, but probably will now that I've heard it will be HD. And, honestly, the price is pretty decent. The season runs from February to November. At $84 to renew (and $40 for new customers I think), its not too bad.

I called this morning and cancelled the renewal for 2008. Renewal was $89 and I decided to use the $'s for the HD Extra package.

Hmm, I just went to the channel 108 I believe, and it shows 20$ instead of 40$.
Anyone know anything about this?

Yeah, I'm comfused about the pricing right now too. I have never purchased Hot Pass before so does that mean I would be a new customer? Or is this deal only for new customers who just got D*? Because when I go to the D* site to order it is is asking for four payments of $22.25. I want the eight payments of $5 deal!! But yet, when i go to channel 108, as it is mentioned in the previous post, it says I can order it for $22.25. I'm assuming that is for the four payments of $22.25; is that correct? The way they make it sound is you can buy the entire package for that price. Kind of misleading, if you ask me.

So where is this 8 payment $5 deal?! Thats what I want to know. Anybody?

I think they need to correct channel 108 to say :
4 payments of $ 22.25.
Until then, if you have time to kill, give them a call and tell them that you want the special on 108 of Hot Pass for $22.25, see what they say and tell them that it does NOT say anything about 4 payments and you would like this deal NOW.

Jimbo

^_^, I think I may go for it Jimbo, now if I add this package would the current deal I have now go away? I have the Premier package free for 4 months.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)