NatGeo [World] Music

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
I just noticed this show by accident, while looking at the Guide for an adjacent channel.

It is called "NatGeo Music" and seems to be World Music Videos, and shows at 3am EDT, 4am EDT, and 5am EDT on both National Geographic Channel and National Geographic HD.

I setup DVR timers for all the showings tonight and will report back on:

- whether there are 3 different shows, or one show repeated 3 times.
- whether there is any HD content
- my review of the music

I do like World Music and with the departure of "IMF" channel, this looks promising.

NG are going to launch a full time NG Music Channel in October, so it looks like they should have a good amount of different material.

The assoicated web site is:

Home: National Geographic World Music

and is quite extensive.

Okay, here is the report:

- Every Night

- 3 one-hour blocks which are not the same (i.e. none is a repeat of the other 2), which is easier to DVR than MHD's 3 hour Guide events (and you don't have to archive 3 hours just to save one good video).

- 3am EDT to 6am EDT

- all 4x3 material (16x9 videos are letterboxed)

- National Geographic Channel

- It is also shown on National Geographic HD in a little better upconverted PQ and higher bitrate audio that has a little better instrumental quality.

The music seems to be very carefully balanced amongst music from all countries other than English-speaking countries - undoubtedly because of the existing high level of exposure of that music (just go to MTV, MHD, etc. for that).

Note that this means that the music presented is different than IMF's (i.e. no "Fergie"), but from what I've seen so far, the overall level of composition, musicianship and inventiveness is better than that of IMF (and far better than MTV).

While there is a lot of great traditional music - often energetically performed by young musicians - there is certainly plenty of modern elements such as rapping and electronic instruments.

Currently the most interesting music video program on TV, IMHO.

PS I have setup to record this every night, and will report back on the amount of repetition.

Last edited:
More info from the National Geographic Channel Blog:

Insomniacs and World Music Fans alike - We have something for you...

<SMALL>July 1, 2008</SMALL>
<!-- Insomniacs and World Music Fans alike - We have something for you...

-->In a world growing ever smaller but still divided, it is music that provides a universal language. For the month of July the channel will take viewers on a musical journey around the world, celebrating diversity and connecting viewers with other cultures.
A perfect fit for night owls and those who prefer to record the programming block on DVR to watch at their leisure, NGC’s broadcast of Nat Geo Music will encompass music videos, concerts, interviews and documentaries, with a focus on stories that make music a vehicle for a better understanding and appreciation of today’s global community. An alternative to the mainstream, Nat Geo Music is progressive and experimental, highlighting ways in which local sounds are evolving to influence artists from different backgrounds and places.
• Place Jam – focusing on music from a specific country
• We Love… – dedicated to artists and genres we love (e.g., We Love Reggae, We Love Caetano Veloso)
• Music Nomad – programming connecting the spirit of traveling to music
• GEO Sessions– intimate acoustic performances and interviews with top musicians, including Ben Harper, K'naan, Michael Franti and Aterciopelados
• Fusion – music videos of all genres from around the globe
To look at the programming schedule or to watch the music videos, click here.
You can catch this special showcase everynight, all month long on the National Geographic Channel from 3am to 6am....its late yes, but thats why they created DVRs.

http://ngcblog.nationalgeographic.com/ngcblog/2008/07/insomniacs_and_world_music_fan.html

More info:
<!-- storyToolsTop --><!-- /noindex -->
NatGeo Will Dance Through Wee Hours

-- Broadcasting & Cable, 6/2/2008

National Geographic Channel is making a bet on music this summer. In a bid to bring in younger viewers and maximize its stable of programming from international units, the cable channel is swapping out the reruns it usually programs during late-night for a mix of global music videos and shows. Starting June 30, the network will run music from its international sister channel, Nat Geo Music, from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. ET and also put the titles on video on demand. The move reflects the broader world view of David Haslingdon, appointed as CEO of both NGC and NatGeo International last year. It is also an effort to lure younger viewers. The network usualy attracts viewers 25-54.
“This is really a reflection of looking at the global synergies between the US and international,” says Steve Schiffman, general manager of NatGeo Channel in the U.S. The network has gotten the go-ahead from current late night advertisers to run in the music shows instead.
NatGeo will focus on global music videos, concerts, interviews and documentaries.Programs include Place Jam, which focuses on music from a specific country; Music Nomad, connecting travel to music; and Geo Sessions, acoustic performances from top musicians like Ben Harper and Michael Franti. —Anne Becker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts