National Geographic HD Excellent Programming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I spent the whole weekend recording and watching NGHD. I also spent last evening watching an entire primetime hour of HD premieres. As opposed to Discovery HD Theater, NGHD has interested programming and the HD quality was quite good.

I agree. So far I have been very happy with the channel. Content and picture quality have been ok with me. I hope they continue producing more HD shows.

I watched most of everything in HD saturday & Sunday afternoon. Then last night in primetime everything was HD again.

I agree. Most of time that I have spend on HD are NGHD & HGHD. Both offer excellent picture quality and contents.

I agree as well. Honestly, National Geographic HD was one of the main reasons I got Dish over Comcast or D*. Well, that and the fact that Dish is the only provider that carries it (Comcast in my area doesn't).

It's an awesome channel. I just wish we had The History Channel and Court TV in HD.

I'd be set then!

It's one of my favorites, I find that a small % of the shows are 4:3, a majority are upconverted SD 16:9 to 720p (which doesn't bother me as I prefer true 16:9 programming regardless of resolution) and a small % are true 720p HD shows.

Interesting programming and I'm glad we (finally) have guide data!

I've been impressed by it too. Is this in MPEG4? It looks pretty good. The programing content has been very good. Everything from Blackbeard to 100 Greatest Discoveries. Lots of great stuff!

I completely agree with Sean - excellent programming and it looks like they are stepping up on HD content.. My favorite shows are "Explorer" and "Seconds from Disaster".

Have been very satisfied with NGHD. Picture quality has been very good. Would love to see the History channel added next.

I like the "Second from disaster" in particular........ maybe that has something to do being a pilot myself....... :-( :)

has anyone started or increased watching ngc because of HD? I know when i got pbs in HD i started watching a lot more of it. Of course .1 is greater than 0

Well, sure. I mean I'm going through this hell switching from D* to E* because I wanted the additional HD stations. Frankly, I sort of always liked NGC but was never compelled to watch the channel (except for Dog Whisperer :) ).

Over the last few weeks I've kept an eye on NGC-HD but most of the time it was showing either 4:3 or upconverted stuff. In the last 5 days or so, though, I've been absolutely fascinated with the programming, from the Bible/Revelation stuff through the Port of Rotterdam, etc. Logically I KNEW HD made a difference but I never really FELT it until I started watching these kinds of programs in HD.

Apparently NGC has been recording a lot of their programs in HD for a while now, in preparation for the launch of this channel. I'm still waiting to catch the Grand Central program which I understand was one of those.

=NLK=

I guess I don't agree. The picture quality compared to EQUATOR and HGTV is secondary. Maybe I didn't see the same programming you guys saw but I did not upgrade to the Gold package for this alone. Will check it out again and see if it has improved.

NGHD is quickly becoming my favorite channel. ONE word for ya' MEGASTRUCTURES! Palm Island being built off the coast of Dubia was jaw-dropping..........
Robert

Last edited:
nlk10010 said:
Well, sure. I mean I'm going through this hell switching from D* to E* because I wanted the additional HD stations. Frankly, I sort of always liked NGC but was never compelled to watch the channel (except for Dog Whisperer :) ).

Dog Whisperer!
I liked this show when it was previewing. I also like dogs and have one (that explains it). Is this show in HD. I don't remember if it was HD or not

Naked Planet, hours from disaster, man these are excellent programs. I have recorded lots of their stuff and they are much better than Discovery HD Theater.

robert393 said:
NGHD is quickly becoming my favorite channel. ONE word for ya' MEGASTRUCTURES! Palm Island being built off the coast of Dubia was jaw-dropping..........
Robert

as were all the others....in SD :(

I can't wait! I get my 622s on Sunday and NGHD will be thr first thing I look at.

Chop-Chop said:
Dog Whisperer!
True HD. They have been producing this show in HD for a while now, as even older episodes that are replayed are shown in HD.

Cesar Millan is awesome. His shows and books should be required for all dog owners. You will enjoy your dog more, and your dog will enjoy its life more. His philosophy is that you need to be the pack leader in your own home through calm-assertive energy, and the road to that is exercise, discipline, and affection, in that order.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts