National Geographic HD on Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Getting a deal worked out and actually making it available are two different things. OMHO we won't see any new meaningful (not another CD-USA) HD channels until after D10 at least goes up next year.

Nobody saw TNTHD coming last year either..And I mean no one..Everyone and their brother was claiming no new national HD until 2007 when TNTHD was launched last year..

guffy1 said:
Nobody saw TNTHD coming last year either..And I mean no one..Everyone and their brother was claiming no new national HD until 2007 when TNTHD was launched last year..
Not True,
There was speculation of TNTHD coming online in time for the NBA (November)

Jimbo

If DirecTV moves the LA Locals in HD to the Spaceway that's room for four more national HD channels. So it's possible more HD channels could be sooner rather than later.

CRendall said:
If DirecTV moves the LA Locals in HD to the Spaceway that's room for four more national HD channels. So it's possible more HD channels could be sooner rather than later.
LA HD locals are on Spaceway 1.

I'm talking about getting rid of the MPEG2 HD LA channels that are currently CONUS. If LA locals are strictly MPEG4 on the Spaceway satellites that would space for 4 more HD channels. If they do the same with NY locals that's space for another 4 national HD channels also.

I'm hoping once the HD DVR that can record MPEG4 there will be big push by DirecTV to get people switched to the new equipment so they can add more HD before the next satellites go up.

CRendall said:
It's funny the way folks are quick to get rid of my HD DNS. Living in a smallish DMA with only two networks on the air in HD, for me, the LA HD stations are a part of my "national HD" package.

mthompso105 said:
It's funny the way folks are quick to get rid of my HD DNS. Living in a smallish DMA with only two networks on the air in HD, for me, the LA HD stations are a part of my "national HD" package.

It's funny how you think you're a more valuable customer than other DirecTV HD subscribers.

GeorgeLV said:
It's funny how you think you're a more valuable customer than other DirecTV HD subscribers.
Umm, Sorry I came off that way. My point is, I have been getting a service for as long as they have been offering it and now some think it should be taken away so they can have what they want. I think that is kinda funny.

mthompso105 said:
Umm, Sorry I came off that way. My point is, I have been getting a service for as long as they have been offering it and now some think it should be taken away so they can have what they want. I think that is kinda funny.

It's not funny, it's common sense. DirecTV is under no obligation to continue HD DNS service. It probably doesn't even make economic sense to do so now that LIL makes the O&O waivers obsolete. If DirecTV can make more money and offer better service to more customers by using that bandwidth for other purposes than that's what they'll do.

I know DirecTV is holding off on most national HD additions until all of their satellites are up, and I guess I can't blame them. I do, however, think they really need to find the space to add 1 or 2 more channels and at least slightly improve the picture quality on their current HD channels. I'm a phene for HD or I would drop that package like a bad habit, but it absolutely sucks for the price I pay compared to Dish Network.

Jimbos said:
Not True,
There was speculation of TNTHD coming online in time for the NBA (November)

Jimbo

The NBA doesn't have any meaningful games until just before the playoffs. They got it on the air just ahead of that if I remember correctly.

Remember, D* has a habit of targeting major sporting events... CBS HD arrived in time for a SuperBowl. NBC HD arrived for the Olympics. FOX HD for MLB playoffs. I can't recall what was happening with ESPN2 HD around its arrival.

Then there are the RSN's, which can be used to regionally-boost the subscriber base. NYC had some 50,000 new D* subscribers when YES started airing and the local cable companies did not immediately carry it. D* has carried YES-HD for games since last year, probably to protect those subscribers from defecting back to cable.

The problems with other channels, like National Geographic HD, are:
a) they don't have that one event with enormous visibility.
b) they can't be exploited to boost the subscriber base

True, but they are getting their ass kicked by Dish in the HD arena after those beautiful "WE are the leader in HD" commercials...remember those? They should want to add channles are fast a they are able, though personally I would rather see them offer true HD and not watered down rubbish we get now. I guess it is other known as HD-Lite...)o:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts