National Geographic on 72.7

The extended mast might work.
Did the first installer have the 129 bracket and lnb on the dish when he tried to sight it in? Neither are there now.

The Installer had the extra bracket and the Lnb. He installed the short mast as the longer mast made for the Dish 1000 would not fit on the mount. I have called the installer today to try out with the larger mount.

So basically I've gone through this.

1. Installer comes and says no line of sight for any satellites.
2. He then tries and gets 110
3. He then gets 118 and 119

Stops trying. In my opinion with a slightly longer mast he might have gotten the 129? the only thing is that this is in an apartment and I hope they don't make issues.

Here is the update. The installer came and tried for about 2 hours and couldn't even catch 119. He said I'm getting 119 because the other dish is a dish 1000+. I had asked him to try to get 129 with the smaller dish of 61.5 with a long mast. Didn't work.

I see lots of internationals move to 61.5 recently. Whats the real reason behind it? Is 61.5 going or staying. will internationals stay on 61.5? If that happens. I am set for putting up single Eastern Arc Satellite and get my HD's as well.

Can someone help with some knowledge if the internationals will stay on 61.5 If so then I'll just put one eastern arc dish myself. Also Do I need a DP44 switch for the eastern arc?

Can someone help with some knowledge if the internationals will stay on 61.5 If so then I'll just put one eastern arc dish myself. Also Do I need a DP44 switch for the eastern arc?

The international channels will all eventually move off of 61.5, and only be available on 118.7 (I don't have a time frame, but that is the plan).

The 1000.4 Eastern Arc has a built in switch, and can support up to 3 receivers (duo receivers need separator) without needing an external switch

The international channels will all eventually move off of 61.5, and only be available on 118.7 (I don't have a time frame, but that is the plan).

The 1000.4 Eastern Arc has a built in switch, and can support up to 3 receivers (duo receivers need separator) without needing an external switch

Thanks for the Reply. As per the International Migration Schedule it shows end of November 2011. Now if only they could add NatGeo on 72.7. I would move my 61.5 to 72.7. Else i'll have to change my configuration around to.

118 on separate dish, 61.5, 72.7 and 77 on eastern arc. Now I'll still not get my Locals but I have to make do with something at least.

I Plan to do this.

Setup Eastern Arc with 72.7, 77 and 61.5 and use the western arc just for 118.

Question is I have an extra western arc dish. Can I use the western arc dish and just purchase the LNB for eastern arc or is the dish different?

HD Locals for Washington, DC shows ConUS beam. Is that accurate or is is a Spot Beam?
Also does virginia get Washington, DC Locals?

PS: I'm planning on purchasing the super buddy 29. With the dishes and its internal switch its getting very hard to do self pointing? Is this wise? Do any of you hobbyists buy such an expensive one? Is there a cheaper on which is as good as super buddy?

In the DC DMA, the Harrisburg, Lancaster, and York stations are all CONUS beam, everything else is spot beam.

In the DC DMA, the Harrisburg, Lancaster, and York stations are all CONUS beam, everything else is spot beam.

Good to know. Yesterday I tried to install the Eastern Arc. I can pick up 77 and 72. I couldn't get LOS on 61.5. but 61.5 does come in. I just need that super buddy.

I believe NY Locals are there on 72.7. I moved the address and I can see these channels but they don't come up.
Any one knows the reason behind this? SInce its CONUS? I called dishnetwork and they added 72.7 and 61.5 and 118 to my account. They still have 110 and 119 on my account. Could that be the reason.

9950WABCNew York, NY - ABCMPEG4 HD72.7°W 328PSK (2/3)[SIZE=-2] ConUS beam[/SIZE] AT200Available
9951WCBSNew York, NY - CBSMPEG4 HD72.7°W 328PSK (2/3)[SIZE=-2] ConUS beam[/SIZE] AT200Available
9952WNBCNew York, NY - NBCMPEG4 HD72.7°W 328PSK (2/3)[SIZE=-2] ConUS beam[/SIZE] AT200Available
9953WNYWNew York, NY - FOXMPEG4 HD72.7°W 328PSK (2/3)[SIZE=-2] ConUS beam[/SIZE] AT200Available

As an update the installer installed the eastern arc. He could get 72 and 61.5 on one sat. If he tried to get 77 the quality on 61.5 would drop to 15 to 20 which is bad. Now I get about early 30's and all channels are visible. HBO, starz, natgeo.. etc all of it. Except Locals.

I believe dish has not opened up the NY locals on 72.7 to every one. Would appreciate your help immensely if any one could shed light on the CONUS explanation on the NY locals.

Those are not the locals for home use. They are available to RV's as distant channels. New York locals are not Conus on the EA.

Last edited:
The TP List shows CONUS on those channels on 72.7.
How can I ask dish to allocate these channels. What is a distant channel? Sorry for the confusion

PS: I read up on distant network. Is there a way to call dish network and tell them to add these channels on 72.7 to me? Whats the point on Eastern Arc dish without Locals on them? :)

Last edited:
Again, those channels you refer to are not for home use, they are only for Distants customers, are only the four networks, and are for those who have an RV and have applied to get them with proof of the receiver being in an RV they own. You can not subscribe to them with a residence account. The NY channels on the Eastern Arc are on spotbeam only, channels 6300 to 6308, and on the 61.5 Satellite. You have to live within the spotbeam to get the signal.

A distant channel (in short answer) is for people who can not get their own local channels on an outdoor antenna. A traveling RV'r would be such an example. So those have to be on CONUS. (CONUS = covers the continental US Spotbeam = covers a specific area of the US)

If you have an address within the area the NY locals cover, and you are within the beam of the Dish signal, you will be able to get the channels I listed.

Last edited:
Again, those channels you refer to are not for home use, they are only for Distants customers, are only the four networks, and are for those who have an RV and have applied to get them with proof of the receiver being in an RV they own. You can not subscribe to them with a residence account. The NY channels on the Eastern Arc are on spotbeam only, channels 6300 to 6308, and on the 61.5 Satellite. You have to live within the spotbeam to get the signal.

A distant channel (in short answer) is for people who can not get their own local channels on an outdoor antenna. A traveling RV'r would be such an example. So those have to be on CONUS. (CONUS = covers the continental US Spotbeam = covers a specific area of the US)

If you have an address within the area the NY locals cover, and you are within the beam of the Dish signal, you will be able to get the channels I listed.

Thank You Sir. This makes sense. Now for my Locals I have to put an outdoor antennae back again. I guess that is my only option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)