Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
Now that the laptop is fixed :) I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with anytypes of navigation software i was looking at the mircosoft maps & streets, i believe its called. I also saw the delorme but a guy that that at the store not a clerk said he tried the delorme and it was very slow.

i had microsoft street in maps 2002 and is was pretty acurate. the only reason i got it was because it was free after rebates. it will download to a pda. i use mapquest or yahoo now if i need directions.

korsjs said:
i had microsoft street in maps 2002 and is was pretty acurate. the only reason i got it was because it was free after rebates. it will download to a pda. i use mapquest or yahoo now if i need directions.

but with the new streets you can get the gps locator for in travel data, say you miss a turn. Mapquest doesnt do that. Also with the new streets i saw that it as restaurant and store locations, which would be very good to have when traveling.

If you want a good navigation application to be used on a laptop, Microsoft's Streets & Trips is the way to go. I've tried Delorme's offering and I can tell you that it is over complicated and the user interface is not at all intuitive.

If, however you fancy yourself stepping up into a PDA (with a GPS antenna option), I highly recommend "iGuidance". At around $100, the application is more expensive, but reasonable where PDA navigation software is concerned. It also comes with a client that will run on a laptop. Navigation software is only as good as the map data and iGuidance uses data from NavTek (sp), known for the most accurate and up to date map data available.

The PDA version of iGuidance has a great interface and a slew of nice options (points of interest, voice navigation, 3D mode, night display). The PDA version of Microsoft's S&T doesn't even compare.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.

Spence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)