NBA Basketball

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
WHY is it that the NBA cannot start a game before 9 PM.
Is there a LAW about that ?

It's no wonder I don't watch basketball, (I usually try to watch the playoffs).

Hockey may go into the late hours, but at least they start at a reasonable hour.
The finals won't start at 9:30 in Edmonton for the finals.

At least the NHL got this part right, all games at 8 pm.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
WHY is it that the NBA cannot start a game before 9 PM.
Is there a LAW about that ?

It's no wonder I don't watch basketball, (I usually try to watch the playoffs).

Hockey may go into the late hours, but at least they start at a reasonable hour.
The finals won't start at 9:30 in Edmonton for the finals.

At least the NHL got this part right, all games at 8 pm.

Jimbo

Yeah....no damn kidding!! I was exausted this morning. Damn stations want that primetime advertising dollar!!! Hell, baseball is worse during the playoffs and World Series. For ONCE, I would like the game to be done around 10ish....yeah...right....

Well it was played in dallas, which is what, 1 hour behind? so it was 8pm there, not terrible when you consider a game is about 2 hours on average...

West Coast baseball is the worst offender, those games go until 1am or worse when you watch them on the east coast because they refuse to start earlier...

Purogamer said:
Well it was played in dallas, which is what, 1 hour behind? so it was 8pm there, not terrible when you consider a game is about 2 hours on average...

West Coast baseball is the worst offender, those games go until 1am or worse when you watch them on the east coast because they refuse to start earlier...

Purogamer,
Yes, but as I mentioned earlier EDMONTON games normally start at 9:30 or 10 est during the year. and did when there was more than one set of games going on (during the playoffs), which is good because you can still try to watch both games.

However, when there is only one game going on, The Finals !!! They have the common sense to put it on in prime time for the est zone people.

I think there are more ratings cities in the eastern time zone, I guess, too bad the NFL doesn't look at it this way, so we could get Monday and Sunday on at 8 pm.

Jimbo

Well, they can't favor one time zone. It started at 6pm on the west coast, and ended probably around 8:30 if I had to take a guess (was working, didn't see the end). So they get a mix of primetime and off-prime timeslots in every timezone. It's really the one way they can work it. If they start it at like 7pm on the east, that's 4pm on the west and that won't happen. People aren't even out of work yet...

Plus if the games ended at like 10pm, you have to air a show. Since you don't know when a game will end for sure, you really can't do that. If it ends at 11 or later, they can just cut the time out of the local news and get back on schedule in time for late night programming. It's a balancing act and believe it or not, they're doing the best balance they can.

I guess the queastion that they have to ask is .

Which is more important :

To see the beginning of the game or the END ?????

I would perfer to miss the beginning and be able to see the end.
ala Monday Night Football.

JMO,
Jimbo

Doesn't MNF end at like midnight or later? What time did the bball game end last night, couldn't have been as late as MNF ends...

Purogamer said:
Doesn't MNF end at like midnight or later? What time did the bball game end last night, couldn't have been as late as MNF ends...

Yes, .....So if we can get the networks and the perticular sport to start at 8pm est at the latest... everyone can see the end of the games

Jimbo

everyone on the east coast. You can't think that way. Imagine if you were in california and MNF ended at 7pm, you'd have to watch network programming for the rest of the night, ewww...

Purogamer said:
everyone on the east coast. You can't think that way. Imagine if you were in california and MNF ended at 7pm, you'd have to watch network programming for the rest of the night, ewww...

Hey now,
I enjoy it when I go to other time zones, Texas every year, I can actually stay awake and see Leno, all the way thru.

I have to really struggle to watch the Monday Night Football games all the way thru.

Unless my team is playing and I take a nap earlier ...yawn .....

Jimbo

Last edited:
Yeah but the networks can't think this way. If they cater to the east, they get flooded by calls from the west...If they cater to the west, they get flooded by calls from the east...

It's 2006, i'd like to believe that for the most part these guys have figured out the best times to air programs both for convenience and the ratings that come along with that...

The reason the NBA finals, and other championship games, as well as MNF starts at 9:00pm, is so that the Majority of viewers on the West Coast have the opportunity to catch the games. Advertising is what sells, and the more viewers there are, the more the advertisers pay.

joedekock said:
The reason the NBA finals, and other championship games, as well as MNF starts at 9:00pm, is so that the Majority of viewers on the West Coast have the opportunity to catch the games. Advertising is what sells, and the more viewers there are, the more the advertisers pay.

I gotta believe there are more veiwers in the Eastern time zone than the Western.

There are a lot of viewers on the west coast, and to say "Screw you" to them and put the game on earlier than 6pm would be a mistake. I thought we covered this...

They put it on when EVERYONE can watch. Having the game start at 7pm for us east coasters would be nice, but that means it's on at 4pm for the west coast. If we lived in CA and this was going on, we'd be flaming the inboxes of people at ABC about it...

Purogamer said:
There are a lot of viewers on the west coast, and to say "Screw you" to them and put the game on earlier than 6pm would be a mistake. I thought we covered this...

They put it on when EVERYONE can watch. Having the game start at 7pm for us east coasters would be nice, but that means it's on at 4pm for the west coast. If we lived in CA and this was going on, we'd be flaming the inboxes of people at ABC about it...

IF we were on the west coast, at least we could see the end of the games, generally the most important part.

I would gladly miss the beginning of the NFL or NBA or whatever , inorder to see the ending.

Jimbo

Like I said, there is no perfect way to do this since they have to accomodate for 4 timezones, they do the best they can. If you want to see the ends of the games instead of the beginning, rent a U-Haul. Half the pride in seeing the end of the game is that you'll be one of the few who stayed up. Plus you can slack a bit at work the next day and people will generally understand...

Purogamer said:
Like I said, there is no perfect way to do this since they have to accomodate for 4 timezones, they do the best they can. If you want to see the ends of the games instead of the beginning, rent a U-Haul. Half the pride in seeing the end of the game is that you'll be one of the few who stayed up. Plus you can slack a bit at work the next day and people will generally understand...

It's ALL about NYC guys....that is media capitol of THE FREE WORLD. Also, where are the headquarter offices of the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL.....? IF I am not mistaken, they are ALL in ....NYC. All about the advertising $$$$$$$
There use to be a time when during the MLB palyoff, just about ALL of the playoff games were in afternoon....not anymore

salsadancer7 said:
It's ALL about NYC guys....that is media capitol of THE FREE WORLD. Also, where are the headquarter offices of the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL.....? IF I am not mistaken, they are ALL in ....NYC. All about the advertising $$$$$$$
There use to be a time when during the MLB palyoff, just about ALL of the playoff games were in afternoon....not anymore

Aaaahhhh yes the memories, when you could listen to the playoffs in school !!!!
I remember them days, and boy it was a long time ago.....

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)