Barry Bonds

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
Mentor, Ohio

He's tied the babe. Even if you think he was on roids and even if you think he's a dick, he just tied Babe Ruth...BABE FREAKING RUTH.

Amazing. I don't think he'll get to 755 but he'll get 715 and have second place.

YES...he is the biggest a$$hole in sports....YES he rubs EVERYONE the wrong way...YES...I believe he was on 'roids.....but until there is a positive test out there, somewhere...all his numbers are legit. There are books and people saying this and that, but there are NO TEST ANYWHERE that have been brought out to the public. Only a few people that have either ADMITTED(McGuire) or TESTED positive(Palmiero...and few others that will probably NEVER make the Hall)...we can say that THEY were cheaters.....but other than that...Bonds is #2 on the list.

Bonds tying Babe Ruth is eligitimate as far as I am concerned. Yesterday in the Mets/Yankees games when the sign was flashed on the screen, the commentators Jack & Tim mentioned that there were boos instead of cheers in the stadium. They went on to say that this is a strange way of celebrating a number that had stood for ages (besides Hank Aaron) and that instead of happiness or cheers it was more like a dissapointment.

Personally, I will never recognize Bonds single season record or being in the 700 HR club. I am waiting for Pujols to break his single HR record of 61 HR held by Roger Marris. McGuire, sosa, and Bonds are all eligimate records as far as I am concerned. It is too bad that this guy who is/was an steroid user and at the same time is a malcontent character gets the applause of the San Francisco Bay Area Fans. A baseball fan should know better than to give tribute to a person or persons who bring disgrace and a cloud of uncertainty to the baseball game. I only say this because I love baseball and those records are sacred in my mind and if you as a player obtained any of them in any type of suspicion (whether there is or no proof) there will be always doubts in my mind. Barry should retire now and let us enjoy the game that we fans love without him.

Sean Mota said:
Bonds tying Babe Ruth is eligitimate as far as I am concerned. Yesterday in the Mets/Yankees games when the sign was flashed on the screen, the commentators Jack & Tim mentioned that there were boos instead of cheers in the stadium. They went on to say that this is a strange way of celebrating a number that had stood for ages (besides Hank Aaron) and that instead of happiness or cheers it was more like a dissapointment.

Personally, I will never recognize Bonds single season record or being in the 700 HR club. I am waiting for Pujols to break his single HR record of 61 HR held by Roger Marris. McGuire, sosa, and Bonds are all eligimate records as far as I am concerned. It is too bad that this guy who is/was an steroid user and at the same time is a malcontent character gets the applause of the San Francisco Bay Area Fans. A baseball fan should know better than to give tribute to a person or persons who bring disgrace and a cloud of uncertainty to the baseball game. I only say this because I love baseball and those records are sacred in my mind and if you as a player obtained any of them in any type of suspicion (whether there is or no proof) there will be always doubts in my mind. Barry should retire now and let us enjoy the game that we fans love without him.

I agree with you in many ways Sean.....one of the reason I picked Roberto Clemente's pic was for my love of the purity of baseball back then. IMHO, nobody...played the game with dignity, respect and honor for both his fellow players and the fans than Roberto and Jackie Robinson. But, being a fellow Puerto Rican...I showed my biased just a bit....:eek: :D

One thing I think is amazing is when someone goes to break batting records in baseball people turn against them. They did the same thing with Roger Marris and made him pull his hair out and even with Hank Aaron who they gave death threats to.

The Tate said:
One thing I think is amazing is when someone goes to break batting records in baseball people turn against them. They did the same thing with Roger Marris and made him pull his hair out and even with Hank Aaron who they gave death threats to.

Well...it was this country's obession with Babe Ruth. Hell, the commisioner of baseball, when Roger Maris broke the single season record for homers, didn't even attend the last game of the season to see if Maris would break the record because Ruth was a close friend of his...how sh!tty is THAT??!

Basball, sacred......Its a damn business of multi-millionairs athletes and billionairs owners...It doesn't exist for you enjoyment pleasure it exist to separate you from your hard earned dollar.

Did Bonds ever test positive...even once? NO! So its good enough to accuse a man and convict on feeling not fact and the only fact that matter is ...did he or did he not test positive? Well for you so called purest that should be all that matters. Hypocrites!

PS: If you know ANYTHING about sports medicine you would know that steroids add very lil to ones on the field performance in baseball.

Eye surgery...now there is a real topic you hypocritical purest ought to be getting your nickers in a bunch about.

Paradox-SJ said:
Basball, sacred......Its a damn business of multi-millionairs athletes and billionairs owners...It doesn't exist for you enjoyment pleasure it exist to separate you from your hard earned dollar.

Did Bonds ever test positive...even once? NO! So its good enough to accuse a man and convict on feeling not fact and the only fact that matter is ...did he or did he not test positive? Well for you so called purest that should be all that matters. Hypocrites!

PS: If you know ANYTHING about sports medicine you would know that steroids add very lil to ones on the field performance in baseball.

Eye surgery...now there is a real topic you hypocritical purest ought to be getting your nickers in a bunch about.

I don't think I am being hypocritical. Do I think he took steroids? Yes. Should he have an asterisk by his records and accomplishments or not be in the Hall in his first try? No. I have not see any proof other than hersay and dealing with steroids on my end(I have been an assistant baseball coach for a couple of high schools for for almost 15 years)to base my OPINION on. Now before you call me or anyone else here a hypocrite, when you watch/read your local news about someone doing something wrong...make sure THOSE same convictions are in your heart about whether you feel someone is innocent or guilty...Because we can be WAY too forgiving for these over priced athlete and team owners, but average Joes immediately get thrown to the dogs....

salsadancer7 said:
I don't think I am being hypocritical. Do I think he took steroids? Yes. Should he have an asterisk by his records and accomplishments or not be in the Hall in his first try? No. I have not see any proof other than hersay and dealing with steroids on my end(I have been an assistant baseball coach for a couple of high schools for for almost 15 years)to base my OPINION on. Now before you call me or anyone else here a hypocrite, when you watch/read your local news about someone doing something wrong...make sure THOSE same convictions are in your heart about whether you feel someone is innocent or guilty...Because we can be WAY too forgiving for these over priced athlete and team owners, but average Joes immediately get thrown to the dogs....

The point of hypocrisy is, by baseballs own rules, Bonds broke none, not a single one. It doesn't matter what I believe or even what I know personally about matter. (and I know plenty) To see these so called purest turn on him is sad (I don't even like the sport myself) but as I mentioned before they show their ignorance when they says nothing about the real performance enhancements such as eye surgery...

I neither forgive or condemn him...I honestly don't care if he did or didn't as there are more important things in life to worry about than if a some millionare entertainer is using something to extend his carrier.

I don't think anyone in the modern era is ever going to get the respect over the Babe, there's too much uncertainy. Pujols is actually hurting himself if you ask me. The last thing he should be doing is drawing attention to himself. He's had the best first 5 years of just about anyone in history, and now he's taking it even to a higher level and all it does is make people outside of St. Louis skeptical of whether he's juicing or not.

Like bonds or not, and whether you believe his ex-mistress who started this whole steroid thing, he's never tested positive for anything and they're having a real hard time pinning anything to him. Like the guys said, until you get something concrete or he fails a test (he'll never fail a test, you think he just started taking something?), he's tied for #2.

Why is 714 considered the end of his chase? He's gotta pass him, you'd think 715 would be the big deal and not 714...

But while bonds has the same amount of home runs as the Babe, it took him 2 years longer, and the rest of his stats aren't quite at the level that the babe's were. He's in the ballpark but the only thing he's got over the babe will be HR's, so you can't really say he's better than the babe.

BTW, We can throw bonds under the bus all we want but we don't know if Hank was clean or not. The babe was drunk and high, who knows if that hurt or helped him. I've heard athletes saying being high helped them on the field...

There's a lot of Hall of Famers who get a pass on the issue of steroids simply because they played before 1980, but steroids were around long before 1980.

Purogamer said:
Why is 714 considered the end of his chase? He's gotta pass him, you'd think 715 would be the big deal and not 714...
Interesting point. I think it's just a matter of 714 being the number that's been beaten into our heads all these years. Hell, a lot of people don't even know how many homers Aaron hit (755).

Side note: One of my favorite trivia questions to ask someone has long been "Who has the most career home runs in Major League Baseball?" I'd preface it by saying I was gonna start with some easy ones -- and ask things like which team has won the most World Series', last guy to win a triple crown, etc. If I'd ask the questions rapidly and the person would get into just quickly spitting out the obvious answer, they would almost always answer "Babe Ruth". Of course, a lot of people will mess up on "how many outs in an inning?", too. :D

Purogamer said:
...so you can't really say he's better than the babe.
Sure I can. He's better than the babe. :p

But I will say this -- the babe was a better pitcher than Bonds.

How can you say he's better than the babe? More HR's but it took him 2 years longer and none of the other stats are better...

Side note: One of my favorite trivia questions to ask someone has long been "Who has the most career home runs in Major League Baseball?" I'd preface it by saying I was gonna start with some easy ones -- and ask things like which team has won the most World Series', last guy to win a triple crown, etc. If I'd ask the questions rapidly and the person would get into just quickly spitting out the obvious answer, they would almost always answer "Babe Ruth". Of course, a lot of people will mess up on "how many outs in an inning?", too. :D

Most World Series: Yankees - 25 (I think)
Triple Crown: Carl Yastrzemski
:)

Who was the last NL player to win the Triple Crown?

ramy said:
Most World Series: Yankees - 25 (I think)
Triple Crown: Carl Yastrzemski
:)

Who was the last NL player to win the Triple Crown?

RAMY...GREAT pic....Jr. is my SECOND FAVORITE player of all time....Roberto Clemente to me will be the top spot...!

Purogamer said:
How can you say he's better than the babe? More HR's but it took him 2 years longer and none of the other stats are better...
Yea true but there are relief pitchers and more then white people can play in the majors and the Asian's and Carribean players are kinda GOOD! So with a better quality of player and a pitcher does not have to pitch the whole game setup men closer. etc etc.

This is not to say the BABE was not great just pointing out the obvious.

^^^ Yeah. What he said. :D
Those actually would be the reasons I would give if I was being serious. I wasn't. I have no idea which of those two greats is better. How could I? How could anyone?

But I can certainly say that Bonds is better. Very easy. Just have to be okay with the possiblilty of being wrong. I'm quite comfortable with that. Don't believe me? Watch this: Bobby Bonilla is better than the Babe. :p (please note the ":p " -- it's often an indication that the poster isn't being wholly serious).

And I'll take Hammerin' Hank over either of 'em.

I'm not really looking to compare who pitched to them and how the babe probably got inferior white pitchers when bonds has to deal with superior dominicans, or anything like that. Statistically, Babe is better than bonds in every way until bonds hits another HR and then bonds will have a 1up on the babe.

But 100 years from now, Bonds will be in the same boat as Hank, still well below the babe in the folklore of baseball...and it's not because he's white, it's because he's a lot more like the fans than bonds or aaron were. People like big fat obnoxious drunk white guys...

Purogamer said:
I'm not really looking to compare who pitched to them and how the babe probably got inferior white pitchers when bonds has to deal with superior dominicans, or anything like that. Statistically, Babe is better than bonds in every way until bonds hits another HR and then bonds will have a 1up on the babe.

But 100 years from now, Bonds will be in the same boat as Hank, still well below the babe in the folklore of baseball...and it's not because he's white, it's because he's a lot more like the fans than bonds or aaron were. People like big fat obnoxious drunk white guys...

Plus the Babe played in a "Dead Ball" era where they could spit on the ball rub it in the dirt and they played with one ball for most of the game up until 1926 or something like that.

Purogamer said:

OK i can go along with that just pointing some things out. Also i was not trying to say white pitchers are inferior. I am saying when you limit your talent pool to say so few. While there is still alot of people in the world then thats not very fair. In my humble opinion Josh Gibson should be one of the names we mention in baseball!! I mean he has hit more HR then HANK!!:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)