How strange is the Barry Bonds saga?

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Bonds announced a week or two ago that he's not ready to retire from baseball. Really? :eek:

That announcement was met with a resounding 'Who Cares'.

This is a guy who has pretty much disappeared off the face of the earth. Nobody acknowledges that he holds the home run record, it's as tainted as Eliott Spitzer's gubernatiorial record. Actually, it's like nobody acknowledges that Bonds ever played the game in the first place.

Talk about a fall from grace! Let us know when you bring your gigantic head back into the league, Barry...I won't be holding my breath.

Sandra

Someone wrote a song about this called "Tainted Love". :eek:

Gloria Jones 1964

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSehtaY6k1U]YouTube - GLORIA JONES- "TAINTED LOVE" (1964)[/ame]

I actually like this version better:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Pfo3EIXLw&feature=related"]YouTube- tainted love. original[/ame]

Rafael Palmeiro never used steroids. Period.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAxo4pCITRM&feature=related]YouTube - RAFAEL PALMEIRO FACE TO FACE LYING[/ame]

I was watching a game the other night, and the announcers were talking about some player's statistics from the early 2000's. They already referenced that it was back in the 'era' of inflated statistics. And it wasn't McGwire, Bonds or Sosa they were talking about.

In time the numbers of every player from that period of time will be dismissed by many. Good, they deserve it.

Sandra

I was watching a game the other night, and the announcers were talking about some player's statistics from the early 2000's. They already referenced that it was back in the 'era' of inflated statistics. And it wasn't McGwire, Bonds or Sosa they were talking about.

In time the numbers of every player from that period of time will be dismissed by many. Good, they deserve it.

Sandra

Dismissed...I doubt it...more like not mentioned at all.

Dismissed...I doubt it...more like not mentioned at all.

Not sure what you are clarifying here. Sounds like semantics.

The statistics are already not being taken seriously. I guess we're agreeing on that. Serves them right.

Sandra

Last edited:
We've always taken statistics too seriously. When I was young, there was a 480 foot centerfield fence, pitchers pitched every fourth day, and the mound was 15" high, yet we treat cumulative and average batting and pitching stats from different eras as we might compare weight lifting amounts from different eras.

I am certain that it is humanly impossible for an unenhanced, 6'4", 220 pound major league shortstop to bat 15 points a season higher in his early 30s than he did in his mid 20s, while playing every inning of 162 games at shortstop each year, during which time everyone saw that he was losing his hair. There are even more skeletons in the closets of that era than we are willing to admit.

Not sure what you are clarifying here. Sounds like semantics.

The statistics are already not being taken seriously. I guess we're agreeing on that. Serves them right.

Sandra

People will not dismiss what they have done because MLB has not officially dismissed that they did. What alot of reporters/analyst/sportcasters will do is just not bring them up as their version of some kind of protest, for lack of a better word.

MLB version of don't ask don't tell.....

People will not dismiss what they have done because MLB has not officially dismissed that they did. What alot of reporters/analyst/sportcasters will do is just not bring them up as their version of some kind of protest, for lack of a better word.

MLB version of don't ask don't tell.....

OK, we are talking semantics.

The announcers I heard the other day that mentioned someone's statistics from the early 2000's, and stated they were from the 'era of inflated statistics', brought them up and dismissed them. That's why I mentioned it they way I did.

Use whatever word you like, the point is that statistics from that era will not be taken seriously. And again...it serves them right.

Sandra

OK, we are talking semantics.

The announcers I heard the other day that mentioned someone's statistics from the early 2000's, and stated they were from the 'era of inflated statistics', brought them up and dismissed them. That's why I mentioned it they way I did.

Use whatever word you like, the point is that statistics from that era will not be taken seriously. And again...it serves them right.

Sandra

like I said, announces doing their version of a protest to that era.

I don't even see that as a protest, that to me is the same as saying 'in a non strike year' for NFL stats. It's just worse for baseball, because the disclaimer has to be thrown in there for the entire tainted era of statistics.

I don't even see that as a protest, that to me is the same as saying 'in a non strike year' for NFL stats. It's just worse for baseball, because the disclaimer has to be thrown in there for the entire tainted era of statistics.

Obviously it's not a protest. Dismissing those statistics is stating fact, it has nothing to do with protest.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)