Barry Bonds found guilty...of obstruction of justice.

Rose was told, and had every reason to expect that "lifetime" meant "one year". He was told that.

Remember Steinbrenner. Also banned for life, for actions that are much more clearly harmful to both the sport and to others.

Yet reinstated. The continued persecution of Rose comes down to him being born poor on the bad side of Cincy and Baseball's rich owners being done with him now.

He no longer can make big bucks for them so they chucked him to the side to forget about him.

He no longer can make big bucks for them so they chucked him to the side to forget about him.

He received a 1 million dollar advance for his book . Do you guys really thing this was some kind of conspiracy? Pete Rose was and still is a very shady character.

He received a 1 million dollar advance for his book . Do you guys really thing this was some kind of conspiracy? Pete Rose was and still is a very shady character.

I don't disagree with you there. Why do you think he went to jail. He was trying to not pay his taxes.

I don't disagree with you there. Why do you think he went to jail. He was trying to not pay his taxes.
Yes but he only told the truth about his gambling after being paid for it. For the record some say he only told some of the truth. Anyway what does it say about the character of the man?

Last edited:
Yes but he only told the truth about his gambling after being paid for it. For the record some say he only told some of the truth. Anyway what does it say about the character of the man?

His character is not what is being questioned here. It is whether he deserves to be in the HOF and I have to say yes.

His character is not what is being questioned here. It is whether he deserves to be in the HOF and I have to say yes.
And yet many said he caused just as many problems for himself for only admitting to gambling after he was paid to tell his story. Go back and look at the feelings many had towards him when he released the book "My Prison without Bars". Rose put this out for about one reason. It was his attempt to get into the hall of fame. But he failed miserably. He rips people again and doesn't take much blame for what he did. He also said Gambling is a victimless crime.

He also said Gambling is a victimless crime.

Umm, it is. In fact in 46 of the 50 states, some form of it is not a crime at all. The exceptions being Alabama, Mississippi, Alaska and Hawaii. In fact the gambling Rose participated in was OK as long as he used a documented sports betting supplier in Nevada (it would have still violated his contract, just as Bonds violated his contract by cheating at baseball) rather than an undocumented one in Ohio and Kentucky.

Umm, it is. In fact in 46 of the 50 states, some form of it is not a crime at all. The exceptions being Alabama, Mississippi, Alaska and Hawaii. In fact the gambling Rose participated in was OK as long as he used a documented sports betting supplier in Nevada (it would have still violated his contract, just as Bonds violated his contract by cheating at baseball) rather than an undocumented one in Ohio and Kentucky.

This takes the whole discussion totally out of context. It's not a question of whether Rose gambled leagally or illegally. The issue is that he bet on BASEBALL.

Sandra

Rose was told, and had every reason to expect that "lifetime" meant "one year". He was told that.

Remember Steinbrenner. Also banned for life, for actions that are much more clearly harmful to both the sport and to others.

Yet reinstated. The continued persecution of Rose comes down to him being born poor on the bad side of Cincy and Baseball's rich owners being done with him now.

He would probably be a great "Hitting instructor" if given the opportunity, of course MLB won't allow that to happen.

Rose knew the consequences of his actions. Should have got help for his addiction, instead of feeding it. I don't care which way his "action" went, (I for one don't believe he never bet against his team), he compromised baseball. Plain and simple. You broke my heart Pete.

Rose knew the consequences of his actions. Should have got help for his addiction, instead of feeding it. I don't care which way his "action" went, (I for one don't believe he never bet against his team), he compromised baseball. Plain and simple. You broke my heart Pete.
That is a good point. If he had tried to get help from the start and not been such a jerk about it, he might even have made it to the Hall. From all accounts he still gambles today.

Yeah it would be much better not to bring in a closer and lose the game. Clearly that would be what was best for the team and the fans. Losing.
That's not what I'm talking about. The betting would effect his decision making. Rose might have used a less talented closer if he knew the next day he needed his best closer to cover a game he bet on.. If he didn't have money on that game they he would do things different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts