NBC "accidently" turns on broadcast flag

I love "accidentally"; they got caught testing the inevitable.

Thankfully the law still prohibits activating this so-called "broadcast flag" on network programming. Some groups are trying to change this, though. Not sure if having the technology embedded but inactive is also illegal, but it's very important we pressure those in power to keep the law the way it is now.

I hope the FCC fines them for turning it on, so they (and others) will not be tempted to accidently turn it on in the future.

Thankfully the law still prohibits activating this so-called "broadcast flag"...
My memory is a bit hazy, but from what I recall FCC's attempt to mandate hardware/software to obey the broadcast flag got shut down.
That does NOT mean NBC can't use it in its stream and software can't obey it.

I could be wrong...

Diogen.

My memory is a bit hazy, but from what I recall FCC's attempt to mandate hardware/software to obey the broadcast flag got shut down.
That does NOT mean NBC can't use it in its stream and software can't obey it.

I could be wrong...

Diogen.

If that's the case, it should be that way for all so-called "DRM" If you want to have a crippled recorder/player you can, but manufacturers should be allowed to make devices which don't recognize it. Then let the market decide which ones prevail. Kind of reminds me of a lame piece of technology that one TV manufacturer as trying to impliment. It made it to where you couldn't control the volume or change the channel while a commercial is on, and if you wanted that function available, you could pay a one-time fee. That idea went down in flames, because if you put that kind of product out in the free market, nobody will buy it. The only way you can get people to buy it, is by foisting it on them by the force of law. Which is why all of these anti-consumer measures need to be fought so vigorously.

If that's the case, it should be that way for all so-called "DRM"...
Huh? I don't get it.
Why failure to push through one copy protection technology means all others should be canceled?
DRM has not been declared illegal, never will...

Diogen.

Don't worry about DRM, I am sure the hacker college kids already have fixes for all of it. It will be all over every message forum on the planet before long. DRM now will be looked at simillar to "copy gaurd" on VHS tapes in the near future. We will all laugh.

Don't worry about DRM, I am sure the hacker college kids already have fixes for all of it. It will be all over every message forum on the planet before long. DRM now will be looked at simillar to "copy gaurd" on VHS tapes in the near future. We will all laugh.

I agree that most/all DRM probably will be circumvented...... Is it possible that the industry knows this and will keep putting DRM on because average Joe doesn't know how to get around it allowing it to keep their archaic (but profitable) business models around..... if no DRM existed they would have to redesign business models and that would require thought! I have used Amazon to download Mp3's and the quality is good (not lossless but good enough) and at $0.89 a download this is a much better alternative to purchasing the entire CD.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)