NBC and Dish near agreement on ad skipping?

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
http://online.wsj.com/articles/nbc-dish-talks-ease-1403908938?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

Yes pay site but will be all over the news for free soon I am sure.

Dish Network Corp. is in discussions with NBC over Dish's ad-skipping digital video recorder, say people familiar with the situation, the latest sign that a two-year-old standoff between Dish and major broadcasters is easing.

While the talks are under way, NBC has put its lawsuit against Dish on hold, the people say. NBC is one of three major networks still in litigation with Dish over several features on its "Hopper" digital video recorder, including one that makes it easier to automatically skip commercials. In early March Dish settled a lawsuit over the same issue with Walt Disney Co's ABC as part of a broader deal in which Dish renewed its right to carry Disney-owned TV networks on its satellite TV service.

It's unclear whether NBC and Dish are anywhere near close to resolving their differences, but the mere fact that the talks are under way at all highlights how the ground may be shifting in the long-running battle between the broadcasters and Dish. This week's Supreme Court ruling on Aereo may become a factor, as some lawyers say the ruling could complicate Dish's legal case.

Even though there is speculation that Dish could be under pressure from the Aereo ruling (sling built into hopper and Fox trying to attach it), I have a feeling NBCU/Comcast is under more pressure to look good and make deals to close the Time Warner Cable deal. Perhaps 3 day wait on autohop will be the same as ABC soon. Plus I bet some streaming rights for some of the most popular cable channels for Dish's over the top "internet cable" service.

And last but certainly not least....higher fees.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Even though there is speculation that Dish could be under pressure from the Aereo ruling (sling built into hopper and Fox trying to attach it), I have a feeling NBCU/Comcast is under more pressure to look good and make deals to close the Time Warner Cable deal. Perhaps 3 day wait on autohop will be the same as ABC soon. Plus I bet some streaming rights for some of the most popular cable channels for Dish's over the top "internet cable" service.
My reading of the Supreme Court ruling was that the court effectively defined non public to include Sling and the Dish technology. Now, the contract between the parties may have some language that restricted those technologies, but that would be a different issue.

I'm with you.

The court makes a big deal about "contemporaneous", which the ad skipper delay addresses and then go on to discuss what is "private" and "owned" which looks to address the sling issue. In the end, it will likely all go back to any restrictions the two parties have agreed to in a contract.

My next thought is that CBS will want to join in. They will see the pile of cash waiting for them with local retransmission agreements with internet TV, plus a 3 day hopper hold as icing on the cake. CBS already mentioned they were looking for a deal like ABC, this will then just leave FOX. I wonder if they will come around before exhausting all legal attacks?

Looks to me like Dish is selling us out. I never watch live tv and use the autohop whenever available. Waiting three days is like not having it at all. What are we getting in these deals except screwed.

On a bit of a different note, we watch a couple shows on ABC, not like I am begging for it to happen, but have not seen the three day wait as of yet

I never use prime time anytime, I find it pointless when you can just manually set the recordings and manually fast forward at any time. So if they want to take that feature away and give me a ton of things I'll use then great!

On a bit of a different note, we watch a couple shows on ABC, not like I am begging for it to happen, but have not seen the three day wait as of yet
Interesting. I've seen it here for the past several weeks (possibly even a month). Thus far, if I really like the show, I'll watch it before autohop is available and manually skip commercials. Most likely, the show gets reduced priority compared to other shows that have autohop or will never get it and I only end up watching once autohop is turned on.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My Hopper had autohop when I leased it. Most reputable companies do not remove features after you lease or purchase a service.
You act like they are doing this willing, which they are not. We all knew there was a chance/fact this would end up in negotiations/court. Take a nap for three days.

Interesting. I've seen it here for the past several weeks (possibly even a month). Thus far, if I really like the show, I'll watch it before autohop is available and manually skip commercials. Most likely, the show gets reduced priority compared to other shows that have autohop or will never get it and I only end up watching once autohop is turned on.

Was it ever determined if this applied to all ABC affiliates or just the O&Os?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)